Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

White Vinegar - new puppy

• 12-06-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm getting conflicting reports off the internet - shocking I know!

We have a new puppy (cavashon) and she is fantastic with the wees. She will always wee on the puppy pad and we've slowly been moving that towards the back door. However, she keeps on poohing in exactly the same spot. I've heard that if you mix a white vinegar and water solution then they won't soil that spot - but other sites say that you should use the solution where you want them to soil - not where you don't want.

Any tips or advice would be fantastic. She's 15 weeks and we've had her for 4 weeks - just getting a bit annoying that we're not making any progress with the poohs. Obviously all my cleaning isn't getting the scent out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Ditch the pads, you’re training your pup to go to the loo in the house.
    Routine is the most important thing, pups nearly always poop after they have eaten so taking your pup out as soon as they wake or have eaten, so about every hour or less if needs be, to start with to establish pooping outside is the only way you’re going to do it. Praise like crazy too, also make sure you’re feeding at the same times and not leaving food down to make poop time slightly more predictable! It does click eventually and use a trigger word like go for a pee or something to train their brain to know what is expected. Also if you know they are due to poop and they won’t you just have to stay out until they do! The hard work will pay off in the long run!

As for cleaning a good antibacterial is usually fine, I’d say vinegar and lemon would be alright too, as long as it doesn’t have bleach in it then anything goes, you can also buy specific cleaning products for pets to stop any lingering smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, Ive never used puppy pads - seems to be a conflicting type of signal for a puppy. So YOUR work starts now - every hour bring your puppy outside, when she pee's outside HEAPS of praise, and a high quality treat. After eating when she poohs, HUGE praise, and again a super-nice treat. She will soon learn that toileting outside gains praise, and will get into the habit pretty quickly. But only if you take her out, and get her to realize that thats were she toilets. If she has an accident pees inside, just say NO! and then get on with cleaning it up, and take her outside again for next time.

Start to watch for signals - circling, and a bit of distraction - get her outside immediately.

Dont get annoyed. Think of it as not being the puppys fault if she toilets in the house - think of it as your "fault" that you didnt take her out on time, that might help you not to be annoyed with the puppy :D Shes got to learn, and its your job to teach her!

A photo would be nice! :)

Advertisement