Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice and bright in Castlebar today with just a scattering over clouds, currently 22.4C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Looks like the higher temps should migrate to the greater Dublin area and the East in general tomorrow as we lose the sea breezes and gain a southwesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It reached a high of 22.4C this evening in my Glasnevin back garden. It's currently 20.0C. I think the garden is well sheltered. When I went out for a walk I could feel a cool easterly that I couldn't feel in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mixed bag in Dublin today. Beautiful blue skies this morning so we said feck it we will head to beach. Now we knew there was bit of a breeze so packed the wind breaker. We went early so got lovely morning on beach with sunshine + paddling in sea. Then it went cloudy for few hours+ was a bit nippy but grand. Lovely sunshine then this evening.

I think July has been grand in Dublin. Yes lacking sunshine some days but very few days with rain which is what I hate the most.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Would also think today was the best day of the summer so far, blue skies and sunshine all day with a bit of cloud bubbling up in the afternoon ,low humidity and near calm. Got up to 23.9C here near Tralee out by the coast. Sea temp was fantastic around 19.00 .

NASA from earlier today.

99Wnd8M.png?1

txint_uk_omy9.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

It definitely wasn't the best day in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Generally disappointing day in Dublin with a lot of cloud during the late morning and early afternoon but evening was fantastic and a nice bright moon tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

What a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems the quality of summer weather varies a lot around the country. SRyan in Dublin and some posters from north Donegal complaining it is quite a poor summer. In Limerick I find it quite good without it been fantastic. Head to west Clare today and the sea water is getting nice to swim in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wicklow hills stunning views this morning.
    Glendalough yesterday, perfect for hill walking.
    Beautiful afternoon today in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last night reminded me of last year.. I live in a "demountable dwelling" ie a modular, which is a sealed aluminium unit with no roof space. Lovely and very well insulated ONE WAY. Any sun and it is like an oven and with midges and flies... so you cannot leave the door open. Just how it is; I am a cool Northern creature... prefer to add clothes when is is cool.

Last summer was a sweat box...easier this year thankfully,

But there we are! It was such a glorious day and no regrets, and seems as if another today. Certainly not a breath of a breeze, and taking the rubbish out has me bitten.. Utter beauty of the rose gold sunrise over the mountains.. Would have lingered but the hordes of Midian are out in force and some have followed me in.. TAKE THAT! SPLAT!

Later they will clear and out we will go ... revelling in the sun and light.

west mayo; offshore midge haven.. ie heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Might want to get one of those bug nets for the door.

A godsend for me in the summer. Keeps the flies out of the house. Confuses my cat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It seems the quality of summer weather varies a lot around the country. SRyan in Dublin and some posters from north Donegal complaining it is quite a poor summer. In Limerick I find it quite good without it been fantastic. Head to west Clare today and the sea water is getting nice to swim in there.

I am in Dublin and I find this summer quite good too .Not great but we get out most days and sit out in the garden quite a bit .I remember much worse summers here .,I am happy with 20 degrees , dry and no rain .A bit of sun is a bonus too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lucreto wrote: »
    Might want to get one of those bug nets for the door.

A godsend for me in the summer. Keeps the flies out of the house. Confuses my cat though.

Where does one buy one? Would like one for my bedroom window?

Spent all day yesterday hiking in the Mournes , truly fabulous day with spectacular sunshine all day long!

I live in Louth ,very close to beaches and I think we’ve had better weather here than Dublin this year, usually the further north you go the less reliable the weather is , but apparently not this year (judging by a few posts ). Lovely sunshine again this morning.

Hope it lasts!

Usually you rarely hear me speak negative about the weather here and I always try to think positive about every month (remember the days when people would speak negative on here and I’d totally disagree with them) but the lack of sunshine has been flat out ridiculous. 6 of the last 8 months have been duller than average (November, December, January, April, May and June). Only February and March were sunny (which you saw me praise in past posts). West Dublin going by Casement Aerodrome has seemingly done better for sunshine these past few months compared to here in the east.

Gone oppressively grey and humid now. Same pattern as previous days. So on with indoor things . So QUIET; feels as if I am the only person left in the world.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Easily the nicest morning of the summer in DCC - of which we've had a few. Wonder will we see the cloud do it's usual appearance act around 11AM.

Beautiful morning in Arklow on this St swithins day...

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Usually you rarely hear me speak negative about the weather here and I always try to think positive about every month (remember the days when people would speak negative on here and I’d totally disagree with them) but the lack of sunshine has been flat out ridiculous. 6 of the last 8 months have been duller than average (November, December, January, April, May and June). Only February and March were sunny (which you saw me praise in past posts). West Dublin going by Casement Aerodrome has seemingly done better for sunshine these past few months compared to here in the east.

Averages are meaningless as I am sure you know? A year comes, a year goes. had a year up in the North sea when the sun did not appear once the entire summer. Crops failed, mud stayed mud and folk were flocking to their GPs for anti depressantsd.. SAD they said.. Please take care of you?

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Beautiful morning in Arklow on this St swithins day...

Rained on St. Swithins Day last year and the rest of the summer was mediocre for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Rained on St. Swithins Day last year and the rest of the summer was mediocre for the most part.

I'll take anything to give me hope for August at this stage

Currently 18.1c in Arklow
    Wind is SW today off the land,so in Sunshine, that means temps in the East and the greater Dublin area should easily make it into the low or mid 20's
    A warm one

Cross posting this from the current conditions thread,be interesting to see station reports from people with AWS today in the greater Dublin area (and kildare) as theres a foehn even with a ssw plus sun
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    21.0c now in Dublin 16.

You might see 25 or 26 today ,perfect Sw foehn for Dublin
    Maybe 22 here
    It's just hit 20c in Arklow,and southerly into that SW will drag it down and theres an element of it already
    Might mean convergence convection though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A stunning few days of weather and I was lucky enough to visit Valentia at the weekend including stopping by the Weather Station to take a few snaps which are below.

Many people think Valentia Weather Station is on Valentia island but it is actually next to Cahirciveen, it was moved from the island in March 1892.

48288748857_7f2a0de4bf_b.jpgKerry July 2019 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

48288745652_5f2e80546a_b.jpgKerry July 2019 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

48288745747_63e2ea6bab_b.jpgKerry July 2019 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

After a fabulous day yesterday, the sun is out again in meath and feeling warm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Would have to agree. The Mid-West is having a pretty good summer. Maybe not very hot, but lots of pleasant dry weather with reasonable amounts of sunshine and cool nights. The ground is getting pretty dry and hard now.

Probably more bearable than the long hot summer of 2018 for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I can't even manage a 20, 19.6c here in n.dub.
    I suppose I can't complain as it is one of the few days this summer that hasn't clouded over by noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny here in Glasnevin, north Dublin and the temperature's just fallen back from a high of 21.0C to 20.9C.

• Advertisement

View from my station
    Full on sea breeze here
    Convection building in convergence inland

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1150739214113415173?s=19

Advertisement