Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2018, 20:31   #16
aonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuileBeag View Post
Me too. He's fabulous!!!
Isnt he!! Cant imagine owning such a 'hulk' - Id be terrified about any health issues, but so gorgeous... Sad dog (surrendered because of a couple breaking up I believe) - all he wants are walks and tummy-rubs... will be 'adopted' very quickly I imagine
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 20:34   #17
finnjo57

Can any one tell if you can still get 22 pistols here
01-11-2018, 20:51   #18
Cherry Blossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnjo57 View Post
Can any one tell if you can still get 22 pistols here
Your in the wrong forum.
01-11-2018, 23:26   #19
Choc Chip

Took a very stressed dog to the vet today. She hates her cone and the vet, and doesn't particularly love kids or strangers (no aggression). Kid in the waiting room sat down behind her cone and started stroking her.
Me:"She doesn't like strangers."
Kid's mum: "Well at least she can't see him with the cone."
What's the polite way to say, "Get your kid off my dog" 'cos I totally bottled it this week and have been beating myself up about not standing up for her. I expect I'll just get rude next week if I don't think of a better way!
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 23:33   #20
Cherry Blossom

I'd have just moved to a different seat and if the kid followed I'd just have said outright 'Can you control your child please?'
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 23:37   #21
jellybear

Awh ChocChip, that's so tough. With Milo I try to sit in a corner seat if possible and when people come in I say, loudly, "Good boy. No need to be scared now. Good boy." I find people realise he's a nervous dog so they leave him alone.

I work with children and honestly, you're better to just say it outright. You're completely within your rights to. The mammy might get annoyed etc but you're doing the right thing, teaching the child not to stroke a dog without asking the owner first. Just say "Unfortunately she doesn't like being petted so would you mind not petting her. I don't want her to get a fright. Thank you." Honesty really is the best policy. If you're met with hostility just say it's in everyone's best interest.
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 00:08   #22
Fakediamond

I just say he’s very nervous, in a warning tone, while looking meaningfully at the parent. My tone implies move your child now or it won’t be my dogs fault if your kid loses a couple of fingers, I find that usually works a treat. My dog has never snapped at a child but he HATES going to the vet and I really can’t be sure he won’t snap from stress.

Alternatively, I keep him outside til we’re callled if the waiting area is very busy.
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 08:22   #23
VonVix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choc Chip View Post
Took a very stressed dog to the vet today. She hates her cone and the vet, and doesn't particularly love kids or strangers (no aggression). Kid in the waiting room sat down behind her cone and started stroking her.
What's the polite way to say, "Get your kid off my dog" 'cos I totally bottled it this week and have been beating myself up about not standing up for her. I expect I'll just get rude next week if I don't think of a better way!
I would have gone for the "she's contagious, you don't want to catch something off her" route lol...
(3) thanks from:
02-11-2018, 08:26   #24
Choc Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonVix View Post
I would have gone for the "she's contagious, you don't want to catch something off her" route lol...

I love this! Sorted.

I'd already warned the kids not to let their kittens out in the waiting room or they'd be going home with half the number, so I didn't want to make her out to be too much scarier.
Advertisement
02-11-2018, 09:12   #25
SillyMangoX

Has anyone ever seen signs that say “no dogs beyond this point” or something similar?
I’m getting too many customers lately who want to go over to the cat run to see Moose but don’t seem to realise bringing a dog over is not a good idea and I don’t akwags catch them in the act trying to keep creams stress levels down because of the risk of bladder crystals again, but it’s very hard when people let their dogs cock the leg on the side of the run!!
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 10:24   #26
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choc Chip View Post
OK I had this issue with Lucy... She was fine with kids until some flipped out one evening and after that - no thank you! I ended up getting a Julius K9 harness with giant 'IN TRAINING' labels on the side - worked very well. We're lucky enough that we tend to have more polite kids asking if they can pet her these days eg at the coffee shop but for DOGGIE DOGGIE type kids I politely tell the owners sorry parents that she's afraid of kids and they can pet Bailey but not her.

ANYWAYS lol your cone just reminded me... we got to the vets on Sun for laser.. BB goes to run in and freezes at the door - 2 tiny dogs with 2 tiny cones! He's terrified of cones... They have like a stand thing with treats, leads etc inside the door a few inches out from the wall and he tried to hide behind it!
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 14:20   #27
jellybear

Just saw the Chairperson of Dogs Trust Ireland and CEO of Dogs Trust UK, Adrian Burder passed away unexpectedly after a short illness. He was only 53. Sad news
(2) thanks from:
02-11-2018, 16:54   #28
Bredabe

Anyone know where I can get Royal Canin hepatic sp? (liver issues) food online?
With her meds, the vet prices are out of reach, but Im concerned about buying from an unknown source online.
02-11-2018, 17:16   #29
VonVix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredabe View Post
Anyone know where I can get Royal Canin hepatic sp? (liver issues) food online?
With her meds, the vet prices are out of reach, but Im concerned about buying from an unknown source online.
Zooplus! https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry...et_diet/313818
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 19:39   #30
em_cat

OH just in.

Him: How was your day?

Me: Fixed my squeaky leg and cleared Mr C’s fishy bum...

Him: another day at the office so...
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion