Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

pauldry wrote: »
    Im using apps on phone for radar. That "thing" is too annoying

Yes I use Meteoradar app which is very good. I can't believe that ME could be so stupid to have a radar page that is full of big spaces rather than radar.

It will go full page on landscape but but then it doesn't scroll. I guess that they assume we will use the app which has an even tinier radar image

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

axe2grind wrote: »
    Used to be able to scroll across with mouse with old one. That doesn't work.

It was mentioned several times here, but looks like it wasn't taken into consideration. They did speed up the "slideshow" of the weather, but like you, I'd flick through the forecasts with 1 mouse scroll, not click after click after click like it is now.

The lack of reference as to what day/hour im going to scroll/click onto in the forecasts is also annoying. If I want to see the forecast for tomorrow evening i've to guess which dot to click. In all, they've added a hell of a lot more clicks to the site than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A complete crock of ----
    ITS USELESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    On the home page. They don't have wave heights.
    Try here https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/waves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are the latest reports UTC or just hours behind?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Has anyone found where the North Atlantic pressure chart is? I can't seem to see it anywhere.

This is all I can get and nothing else. Where's the radar? no satellites, no latest reports, no anything. Theres always the UK met I suppose
    https://www.met.ie/
    Chrome is even worse: - Can't open page. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is all I can get and nothing else. Where's the radar? no satellites, no latest reports, no anything. Theres always the UK met I suppose
    https://www.met.ie/
    Chrome is even worse: - Can't open page. :confused:

Satellites

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites

Radar is on the home page which you linked.

Latest reports

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The favicon could do with a bit more work.

Satellites

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites

Radar is on the home page which you linked.

Latest reports

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations
    I know the radar is on the homepage/latest reports but I can't get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What is the point in seeking feedback if none of it is going to be addressed?

What is the point in seeking feedback if none of it is going to be addressed?

I contacted them earlier as I was getting concerned. They said it's only early days and that they have received more than 800 suggestions on the site. It is still being worked on. I mentioned more problems to them at the same time that I came across whilst looking at the site. Hopefully we will see a large improvement as soon as possible because with releasing it out of beta, you'd think they would at least make some changes which they didn't.......

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Overall I think this new site is dreadful. I would hit the rainfall radar alone about 10 times a day and what they have replaced it with is terrible. I have consistently offered my feedback at surveys but they never pay much mind to my suggestions. The old site should remain live while people compare and discuss the merits of each one and that should be used to determine the final website. At a minimum their website should offer a place to log in and to then be able to personalize elements that suit your weather requirements and preferences, i.e.choice of 4/5 radar types, different info on the homepage, quicklinks for your preferred page etc etc.

The navy blue scheme is too dark, like an overcast sky, the old colour WAS the colour of Met Eireann.

Also controls for radar, for example, on a phone don't work the same way as the old with the forward and backwards buttons.

Where is the Atlantic Charts?

Would like to still see the old 5 day forecast and the short term forecast charts.

Also the little forecast chart in the top right with today, tonight, tomorrow and wind, temp, weather was useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes shame they hvnt taken on any of our feedback

Didn't take mine either! Wonder if they even looked at it?

Latest Weather Reports on 17-Apr-2018 FOR 20:00 - but its 9:36 now, where is the 9pm latest weather reports?

Too much clicking and scrolling going on here.

Miss the twitter feed down the right instead of at the bottom now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Finally found isobaric forecast charts but very hard to see, particularly over land. Too much clutter, especially road network in Eng and Wales. Isobars need much greater definition.

Missing Atlantic charts, synoptic analysis and failure to have wind speeds in km/h a disappointment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Lads, we won't be the only source of feedback they'll have sought. We're the weather-nerd side of their audience, and fair play to them for reaching out.
    I'd guess the overwhelming majority of their users are average schmoes who just want their local forecast from a vendor they trust.
    It's a very difficult thing to design and build a single piece of software to serve such wide ranging needs.
    I actually think they've done a good job of doing just that.

While many of you are crying at them to revert to the old radar, I'm crying at them not to.
    I hope they instead seek to continuously improve on it - digesting and acting on the wide-ranging feedback they get over time.

And finally, if you feel your individual feedback is important enough to warrant more attention, then calm down and be polite about other people's hard-work, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

piuswal wrote: »
    Finally found isobaric forecast charts but very hard to see, particularly over land. Too much clutter, especially road network in Eng and Wales. Isobars need much greater definition.

Missing Atlantic charts, synoptic analysis and failure to have wind speeds in km/h a disappointment also.

Poor effort right enough.

30738939_10213273484243902_6834910409670000640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cb7ba17d169c52ac968abf12d002bc2c&oe=5B6188AE

gabeeg wrote: »
    Lads, we won't be the only source of feedback they'll have sought. We're the weather-nerd side of their audience, and fair play to them for reaching out.
    I'd guess the overwhelming majority of their users are average schmoes who just want their local forecast from a vendor they trust.
    It's a very difficult thing to design and build a single piece of software to serve such wide ranging needs.
    I actually think they've done a good job of doing just that.

While many of you are crying at them to revert to the old radar, I'm crying at them not to.
    I hope they instead seek to continuously improve on it - digesting and acting on the wide-ranging feedback they get over time.

And finally, if you feel your individual feedback is important enough to warrant more attention, then calm down and be polite about other people's hard-work, ffs

No, the point being made is that the site is released and is not in beta anymore. A beta is there for feedback to be taken into consideration which they have not done with the release as far as we can see, zero changes from what the beta version showed. You say we won't be the only feedback source they would have sought well tell me any changes from the beta version you can see.

• Advertisement

No, the point being made is that the site is released and is not in beta anymore. A beta is there for feedback to be taken into consideration which they have not done with the release as far as we can see, zero changes from what the beta version showed. You say we won't be the only feedback source they would have sought well tell me any changes from the beta version you can see.

No man, I work in software - in reality a beta is where you polish and fix something to the point where you're hopefully (but not always) comfortable with its release.

The origin of the word (Greek aside :) ), is from the old days where products were physical and iteration was impossible.
    It's totally different with websites.

Unless of course I'm wrong and they plan to not do anything to it until the next revamp in 15 years.

That's part of the point, they survey every year , we take the time to provide valuable feedback on a tool that is important to some of us but they don't seem to heed us. Why not compromise and create a new radar for the average schmoes, as you call them, and also keep a popular radar for the nerds, as you call them. It's the same raw data just being displayed differently, and then being interpreted by those that rely on it.

No man, I work in software - in reality a beta is where you polish and fix something to the point where you're hopefully (but not always) comfortable with its release.

The origin of the word (Greek aside :) ), is from the old days where products were physical and iteration was impossible.
    It's totally different with websites.

Unless of course I'm wrong and they plan to not do anything to it until the next revamp in 15 years.

A beta is an unfinished version of the product which you give out to the public or a select group of people. A beta is done as you say to polish and fix the product (in this case, a website) so it can be good for release. However, this website was IN beta according to this thread - see the title - and the site's previous domain beta.met.ie, but when you look at the released version, there are no changes at all given the feedback I've seen on here, their Facebook, listening to certain suggestions they called out when I contacted them etc. None of them were taken into consideration on this public release from the beta version they released.

Some of the problems I have named like the Claremorris wind gust and degree days under 15.5 table being messed up in monthly data etc are so small of errors that they should have been fixed so easily. Something like the radar can take time to do but these small errors making the site look a bit unprofessional especially as it's the release and not the beta.

I have done beta tests for people before whether be it software, video games etc. I can tell you, I do these to help them fulfill their product and get good reception.

To remind here, this is coming from a guy who stood up for Met Éireann in the darkest of times all Winter.

I am just a bit concerned is all as this is the released version now with no feedback taken into consideration. Nothing more than that. As I said previously, I like the new look of the site overall. I like the dark navy colour look personally.

Ah see you seem to believe that a beta release is all about fixing usability issues.
    It can be, but more often its about smoothing out performance, fixing bugs and in this case I think - gathering feedback.

Look, if they've taken feedback and zero happens, then I'm right beside you on this.
    But these things take time. You have to digest a ton of feedback, report in it, categorise it, prioritise it, iterate on the designs, test with users, iterate again, then release and seek live feedback.

At least I hope that's what is going on. I hope it's the ongoing concern that it deserves to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Is the 3hr forecast and Short Range gone? I preferred the Old version :(
    I downloaded the app and it's frozen, had to allow access to location but without GPS on it still thinks I am in Leinster with no option to select a location.
    Rainfall forecast map is very jumpy with one image appearing and the next not when playing the loop.
    Recent rainfall radar loop is poor, more work needed I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is the 3hr forecast and Short Range gone? I preferred the Old version :(

been looking for short range, and would also like to know where its gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im still looking for yesterday's weather

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Site slow for anyone else? Think they might need to upgrade their Linode server or move it back to their Irish servers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not good on the mobile app this morning, will only show me the regional forecast weather for Leinster/Dublin when the app shows my location as West Clare in the radar. Very slow too. Most of the maps not working and when they do they don't load completely. Here's some screenshots:

Map not loading fully, most other maps won't load at all.
    vzy96w.jpg

Weather icons not loading, if they did it's for the wrong location anyway.
    o0osp3.jpg

Again, regional forecast for Leinster, cannot change it to relevant provience.
    14azptj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Website is extremely slow on mobile.

Advertisement