Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

14-03-2017, 15:59   #46
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little CuChulainn View Post
Speaking as someone in a relatively isolated village, I'm a big fan of the local post office. They shouldn't be looking at closing them down but expanding their range of services.
The Postmasters keep coming out with that beauty.

"Give us more services!"

"What services"

"Well thats up to AnPost to sort out"

There arent services for them. Do what the Scandinavians do, post offices are a second till at the local Spar equivalent. If you dont need a spar, you arent big enough for a PO. End of.

Added bonus: you can collect your parcels until 9PM, not 9-4.30!
Advertisement
14-03-2017, 16:16   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post

"Give us more services!"

"What services"

There arent services for them. Do what the Scandinavians do, post offices are a second till at the local Spar equivalent. If you dont need a spar, you arent big enough for a PO. End of.

I've no issues with post offices being integrated into shops in principle but what happens when the shop closes or changes management and they no longer want a post office?
14-03-2017, 16:20   #48
L1011

Quote:
I'm not suggesting it would be a viable business plan, I'm suggesting it should be considered a public service.
Funding needs to be found if you're going to run loss-making public services, though.
14-03-2017, 16:20   #49
ED E

Quote:
I've no issues with post offices being integrated into shops in principle but what happens when the shop closes or changes management and they no longer want a post office?
If they dont want, it doesnt make money (while already being subsidized). Shouldnt be there.
14-03-2017, 16:25   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Funding needs to be found if you're going to run loss-making public services, though.
Indeed it should. I look on the post office as a service similar to the 9-5 rural Garda station. They provide a link to the local community. Maybe they could combine post offices and Garda stations in small rural areas.

Quote:
If they dont want, it doesnt make money (while already being subsidized). Shouldnt be there.
Like I said, it should be considered a public service not a business venture.
Advertisement
14-03-2017, 16:31   #51
loyatemu

Quote:
is it still a public service if only a tiny fraction of the public ever use it?

I only ever go into the PO to buy stamps; however I used to be able to buy stamps from a machine outside the PO, another machine in Tesco, or from the local newsagent but inside the PO is now the only place in town that sells them. So it appears they're deliberately making it more difficult to buy stamps from anywhere else.

We hardly need a network of 1000+ offices nationwide to sell small coloured stickers.
14-03-2017, 16:36   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
is it still a public service if only a tiny fraction of the public ever use it?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
I only ever go into the PO to buy stamps; however I used to be able to buy stamps from a machine outside the PO, another machine in Tesco, or from the local newsagent but inside the PO is now the only place in town that sells them. So it appears they're deliberately making it more difficult to buy stamps from anywhere else.

We hardly need a network of 1000+ offices nationwide to sell small coloured stickers.
I use the post office regularly for more than stamp buying. They sell stamps in the shop next to it and if I simply want to send a letter I get the stamp there. I use the post office to lodge money to my account so I don't have to travel the 20km to my nearest bank. I send and receive parcels through it too. It's very handy.
Thanks from:
14-03-2017, 17:18   #53

Is it true that Ireland is the only country in the world that pays out social welfare payments in cash via post offices ?
Thanks from:
14-03-2017, 17:29   #54
blanch152

http://www.ahrrga.gov.ie/rural/post-office-network/

It is strange that nobody has mentioned this report on the the thread yet.

It makes for a very interesting read and is designed to support as much as possible the retention of the Post Office Network, yet it also accepts that there will be closures driven by customer demand.

The type of post office that LCC is referencing will survive - if it gets the customers - but a significant degree of modernisation is required and there will be challenges for most Postmasters.
Advertisement
14-03-2017, 18:11   #55
bog master

Quote:

"Give us more services!"

"What services"

And, if you don't have a local Spar equivalent? My local P.O. has a small shop yes, but hardly a Spar.
14-03-2017, 20:34   #56
Shelflife

I dont think any Postmaster is under any illusion that we will have to change in order for the network to survive, we have always accepted new innovations and business.

I dont think that any of us believe that all of the network will survive either and that a certain amount of closures will be required.

It seems to me that just because you dont need or use the PO, that there is no need for POs in this day and age.

All of my customers Choose to use the Po because they want to and it meets their needs, the two banks in the town abandoned us years ago and now a 20 mile round trip is needed to get to the bank.

Many pensioners and social welfare recipients dont have transport or internet facilities, the public transport is not an option on a regular basis unless you want to spend a full day in the local big town so they rely on the local PO.

Most of my customers spend their money in the town and support local businesses, the PO is a lifeblood to many of these small ventures and if the PO closed it would have a huge effect on the local economy.

So lets say the PO in my town closes. An post save say €40k per year. Two people are unemployed straight away, a childminder also loses her job so we now have 3 on the dole.

Because they now have to travel to the "big town" to collect their payments it stands to reason that they will do their shopping there and spend their money there, logically it follows that the local business will suffer as well and i would conservatively say that another 2-3 jobs will go. (there wont be any job increases in the big town as the supermarkets hairdressers operate on a bigger scale and can easily absorb this extra business.

So in our small town we have an empty building and prob 5-6 unemployed so in order for AnPost to save €40k there will be a cost to the state of approx €60k.

On top of that you now have less money coming into the local area which results in more of the smaller businesses closing and the vicious circle continues.

It has been found in the UK that the closure of the local PO has a huge effect on the local economy, the broader picture needs to be looked at not just the short term gains.
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2017, 20:38   #57
apfelbaum
Banned

an post are losing millions with their fleet management, all theyre vans are brand new, and getting sold on at a fair price,

they should be driving the vans into the ground to get value for money,
15-03-2017, 09:02   #58
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfelbaum View Post
an post are losing millions with their fleet management, all theyre vans are brand new, and getting sold on at a fair price,

they should be driving the vans into the ground to get value for money,
They're leased.

Vans driven in to the ground break down, have huge maintenance costs and can easily be unsafe.
15-03-2017, 20:49   #59
expectationlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parish Priest. View Post
The ceo of an post said on morning Ireland a couple of days ago that Michael Ring TD is proposing crazy ideas like health checks at the PO
http://www.rte.ie/cspodcasts/media.m...44181_232_.mp3

the suggestion is that if they have spare rooms they could be used for clinics by other government agencies

Quote:
In a number of countries rural post
offices with spare space facilitate regional
clinics for health professionals, as well as
police, entertainment or community activities.
pg 48 http://www.ahrrga.gov.ie/app/uploads...ry-2016-hr.pdf
Thanks from:
17-03-2017, 18:50   #60
Going Forward
Banned

Quote:
I use the post office to lodge money to my account so I don't have to travel the 20km to my nearest bank. I send and receive parcels through it too. It's very handy.
What money? You're a garda, not a second hand car dealer.

You're paid by cheque or electronic transfer surely??

Quote:

So should water services, instead of being bundling into a "utility" model.

Last edited by Going Forward; 17-03-2017 at 18:54.
Forum Closed