Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

16-06-2017, 17:51   #4831
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitEire View Post
As I said, 40 years ago, it was entirely reasonable for a couple with one income, to be able to buy a decent house in the Dublin suburbs and raise a family of 3-5 kids. I had plenty of relations around Dublin in the 1970's and 1980's, the "template" was the same for all, the father went out and worked, the mother raised the kids, most families had 3-5 kids, some had 2 or 6 kids but most had 3-4 and 40 odd years ago, these families could be raised on the basis of only one parent working.

There was also plenty of social housing if that was needed.

Fast forward 40 years, and this is an almost impossible expectation for most couples, a house in the Dublin suburbs and the problem is now so bad, there is a lack of housing in places like Ashbourne, Edenderry, and that is a couple on two incomes with no kids! People are now completely priced out of the residential property market in the Dublin suburbs if they wish to buy a house. As if that isn't bad enough, most would now struggle to rent a house in the Dublin suburbs. Yesterday a house went up for rent in Dublin for 1,400 Euro and over 100 people turned up to view this very modest house.

Please please genuinely try to explain to me how the two realities that I have set out above, could in any mans language, be interpreted as an "improvement in living standards" as you have tried to claim?
This is very true and it's a bigger problem than just housing and costs of same. As the "economy" has improved over the past few decades (the last 7/8 years aside), the ability to afford the costs of raising a family have similarly increased hugely with the result being that couples are delaying starting a family longer, having maybe 1/2 kids, or none at all.

This is a bit of an issue when it leads to an aging population and a scenario where the natives are being replaced by newcomers, which if not handled properly, can lead to the problems of segregation/isolation and a class divide as we've seen in some other Euro countries in recent times.
Advertisement
16-06-2017, 18:21   #4832
Galwayguy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhunter100 View Post
According to the Indo today Leo is enjoying the support of Lowry. The former FG minister who was found corrupt by a tribunal.
Indeed.

But why side step my original post about how Coppinger remains silent about Wallace?
16-06-2017, 18:26   #4833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35
But why side step my original post about how Coppinger remains silent about Wallace?

Side step? Coppinger job is to hold government to account as an opposition TD. Is she Wallace's keeper?
16-06-2017, 18:30   #4834

I see Shane Ross is calling for an review of Marie Whelans appointment. Fair play to Kenny he life a fuse before he left office. A parting gift if you will.lol
16-06-2017, 18:34   #4835
Galwayguy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhunter100 View Post
Side step? Coppinger job is to hold government to account as an opposition TD. Is she Wallace's keeper?
Well for a group of people who constantly bang on about how Property Developers ruined the country and got away with it, she and others like Clare Daly have nothing to say about why Wallace won't pay back his debts and why he stopped using half his salary to pay back the loans.

BTW I don't agree with the Government cosying up to Lowery either.
Advertisement
16-06-2017, 18:39   #4836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35
Well for a group of people who constantly bang on about how Property Developers ruined the country and got away with it, she and others like Clare Daly have nothing to say about why Wallace won't pay back his debts and why he stopped using half his salary to pay back the loans.

What do you want them to say about Wallace that hasn't already been said on multiple occasions by people who despise Wallace. I too think he should pay his debts, he has on the other hand highlighted a lot of issues FG would rather never have seen the light of day.
Thanks from:
16-06-2017, 18:45   #4837

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Quote of the thread if you ask me. You don't know. Exactly my point.
So you've no point?
I criticise government inaction and because I don't have the solution...something? Got me there
I was wondering why Harris hadn't consulted with me.

Quote:
Did you miss me mentioning Slaintecare numerous times, which was chaired by Roisin Shorthall? Have you changed your mind on her. She thinks it will take up to 10 years to bring about substantial change in relation to health, do you disagree?
You are falling into the standard blinkered party line of sides. I thought she was great to stand up to FG and Reilly's clinic allocation disgrace. Now we're joined at the hip? Tired tactic of deflection.

There's many elements of the report I like. It's a decent plan. Six years in theres a report. Look forward to it being implemented....

Quote:
You do realise that the health system is a problem the entire body politic has to solve, not just one party.
You do realise government makes policy not Mick Wallace?

Quote:
What is the saying again, Haters are going to hate.
Or dissatisfied members of the electorate who previously voted FG are whingers. Take your pick.

Quote:
The reason why I reference the number of posts is that this thread has been going on for almost a year. Yet, when push comes to shove to look for actual solutions to very complex problems we get a 'I don't know'. It seems this thread is just a long collection of moans and whinges by people who have no idea of the complexities of issues and just want to point a finger. The internet equivalent of the barstool politician.

It is like I woke up yesterday, as I addressed all these issues then. Yet, here we are, yet again, repeating the same things again and again on a superficial inane level that serves no purpose other than satisfy the voice inside that having a quick moan is actually having a debate.
I find your bitching tiresome.

Quote:
For the record, here is my answer to the above issues.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=4689

I took the time to answer them them, at least you could have the courtesy to address them, rather then pretend it never happened and just copy and past the same tired whinge again from the start.

Are afraid of debating on a more substantial and granular level or when someone challenges your point of view, you run away and come back the next day repeating the same tired points of view hoping that this time, no one will notice that you have said the same thing again and again for about 500+ posts.

You yourself state that there is not point to party politics and a vote for an Indo is the only way to go. So, let me put it to you, do you think that these issues will be resolved faster by having a government full of Indo's? You reject party politics, fine, but on the same hand you want to snap a finger and issues to be solved? Come back to reality please.
I'm more jaded of hearing the exact same crapola from the same mindset. Don't flatter yourself.
Snap fingers? Six years in and no real start. You can pretend you missed that bit.
You aren't here a wet week and you've been moaning about posts about FG politics in a politics forum not being up to your 147 posts (and counting) standard. Maybe this isn't the place for you?

Your responses are party apologist and wrong. FG did not rescue the country from bankruptcy. We'd money to spend on consultants and making metering deals sweet. On rising rents, you say they are stagnating in some places. Problem solved so.
Coveney is changing the name of emergency accommodation not ending it, try another one. Then you cite FG not having total power. If you read my posts you'd see repetition. Show me where Labour stopped or put obstacles in FG's way regarding an end to cronyism and any policies for the betterment of society?
I've covered housing, health poverty in many many posts and given suggestions, hopes, alternatives. I'm very reluctant to rehash it all again for a new poster who claims to have read over my posts and can't have a civil debate without getting personal.
Six years in the reason for rising poverty, (among other things) isn't anything to do with FG as they were busy manning the fiscal lifeboats
They got worse for Enda's sake.

Now don't concern yourself with me outside of the politics at hand it's getting awkward.
(4) thanks from:
16-06-2017, 19:22   #4838
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitEire View Post
The answer is clear and simple, we need a completely new political party, an Irish UKIP.
Do you think the desire for such a party is widespread and, if so, why has it not already happened?
Thanks from:
16-06-2017, 19:29   #4839
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by For Reals View Post
So you've no point?
I criticise government inaction and because I don't have the solution...something? Got me there
I was wondering why Harris hadn't consulted with me.
You criticise FG endlessly again and again, yet when I ask you a very very simple question about how the length of time you think it would take to fix and reform the health system, you reply with a "I don't know". This tells people a lot.

Quote:
You are falling into the standard blinkered party line of sides. I thought she was great to stand up to FG and Reilly's clinic allocation disgrace. Now we're joined at the hip? Tired tactic of deflection.
Not at all, I am just using it as a way to demonstrate that you are blinkered in your faux outrage. You blame FG for all the things that are wrong, yet conveniently ignore thing like Slaintecare.

Roisin Shorthall knows there is no magic money tree solution, and that you cannot click your fingers and make solutions appear from thin air. You on the other hand take a different approach think that this is wrong.

Quote:
There's many elements of the report I like. It's a decent plan. Six years in theres a report. Look forward to it being implemented....
So you admit, that these things do take time?

Quote:
You do realise government makes policy not Mick Wallace?
Yes and No. Mick Wallace sits on the Justice committee for example and as part of that committee can issue policy and strategy documentation. The Slaintecare plan is a realising that one party or the government of the day cannot alone tackle massive issues like reforming the health service. You seem to think FG is some kind of superman, with super powers that can click its fingers and make things happen. Wiser people like Rosin Shorthall know better.

Quote:
I find your bitching tiresome.
Oh goody, here comes the misogynistic comments. Ironic that you find it tiring, when you are by far the most prolific poster in this thread.

Quote:
Your responses are party apologist and wrong. FG did not rescue the country from bankruptcy. We'd money to spend on consultants and making metering deals sweet. On rising rents, you say they are stagnating in some places. Problem solved so.
Coveney is changing the name of emergency accommodation not ending it, try another one. Then you cite FG not having total power. If you read my posts you'd see repetition. Show me where Labour stopped or put obstacles in FG's way regarding an end to cronyism and any policies for the betterment of society?
I've covered housing, health poverty in many many posts and given suggestions, hopes, alternatives. I'm very reluctant to rehash it all again for a new poster who claims to have read over my posts and can't have a civil debate without getting personal.
Six years in the reason for rising poverty, (among other things) isn't anything to do with FG as they were busy manning the fiscal lifeboats
They got worse for Enda's sake.
If FG did not rescue to state from bankruptcy, then who did? The people I suppose. Then again you are happy to blame FG for all the ills, but not give them credit for any of the good. Misery Junkie attitude 101.

Can you show me where Coveney is changing the name of emergency accommodation?

As to Labour being a block on FG? How about the lack of reform in the PS for one?

The rest of it is just the usual inane moaning. You have shown nothing, because you have nothing, a one trick pony who likes to have a moan but in reality nothing you have done on this thread has made anyones life better. That is the hard truth.
Advertisement
16-06-2017, 20:15   #4840

Quote:
You criticise FG endlessly again and again, yet when I ask you a very very simple question about how the length of time you think it would take to fix and reform the health system, you reply with a "I don't know". This tells people a lot.
That I'm not satisfied with a worsening problem and don't have the solution myself? That's what it tells people

Quote:
Not at all, I am just using it as a way to demonstrate that you are blinkered in your faux outrage. You blame FG for all the things that are wrong, yet conveniently ignore thing like Slaintecare.
I'm not outraged? Where do you get that? Why wouldn't anyone who loves their country and it's people not be?
I'm not ignoring Slaintecare. It's a promising report. Should I take it as an actual thing like the FG things that never materialised? Results or moves towards results. Reports are grand though.

Quote:
Roisin Shorthall knows there is no magic money tree solution, and that you cannot click your fingers and make solutions appear from thin air. You on the other hand take a different approach think that this is wrong.
Only a buffoon seriously uses terms like 'no magic money tree' or 'no magic wand'. Again, you're new here. This territory has been covered. Point to one person or politician who said its all easy and can be done over night?

Quote:
No. Starting takes about 2 seconds. But yet six years in we've many problems getting worse.

Quote:

Oh goody, here comes the misogynistic comments. Ironic that you find it tiring, when you are by far the most prolific poster in this thread.
No I find my answering well covered ground to a person who doesn't really deserve any civility, tiresome.

Quote:
If FG did not rescue to state from bankruptcy, then who did?
WE GOT A LOAN.

Quote:
Family Hubs.

Quote:
As to Labour being a block on FG? How about the lack of reform in the PS for one?

The rest of it is just the usual inane moaning. You have shown nothing, because you have nothing, a one trick pony who likes to have a moan but in reality nothing you have done on this thread has made anyones life better. That is the hard truth.
Look your party failed. Or should I say succeeded at sorting out things for their own. Poverty, housing, health are all worse six years in. Things were so so bad in 2011...FG have watched them get worse. Now go toddle along to your fiscal space comrade
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2017, 20:41   #4841
Brendan Bendar

Quote:

Yes and No. Mick Wallace sits on the Justice committee for example and as part of that committee can issue policy and strategy documentation. The Slaintecare plan is a realising that one party or the government of the day cannot alone tackle massive issues like reforming the health service. You seem to think FG is some kind of superman, with super powers that can click its fingers and make things happen. Wiser people like Rosin Shorthall know better.

If FG did not rescue to state from bankruptcy, then who did? The people I suppose. Then again you are happy to blame FG for all the ills, but not give them credit for any of the good. Misery Junkie attitude 101.

Absolutely correct .

Have to say this has needed to be said for a long time.
Thanks from:
16-06-2017, 20:46   #4842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Bendar
Have to say this has needed to be said for a long time.

Surprised B you agree with playing the man and not the ball. Thought you were better than that.
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2017, 20:50   #4843
Stheno

Mod

Thread locked for review
Thanks from:
Forum Closed