Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-07-2016, 18:17   #31
Tzar Chasm

Well the isthmus is manageable and it still leaves us with a decent tract of land, with teh Atlantic on 3 sides.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2016, 13:17   #32
Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...uiser/12816545

To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need, rugged, dependable, easily maintained, easily adapted, and reasonably priced. If I had the cash this would be a different post, along the lines of - look at my new car
Thanks from:
18-07-2016, 15:18   #33
TheWarChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Chasm View Post
https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...uiser/12816545

To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need, rugged, dependable, easily maintained, easily adapted, and reasonably priced. If I had the cash this would be a different post, along the lines of - look at my new car
Wouldn't be too difficult to stick an MG on the top of it and bolt some steel plate to the side really. Nice little all purpose vehicle. Wonder if we can get recoilless rifles here?

Last edited by TheWarChicken; 18-07-2016 at 15:19. Reason: Autocorrect mistake.
18-07-2016, 17:08   #34
Tzar Chasm

This is the setup you want

Minus the stupid wheels and add a set of mesh screens on the windows.

adding more weight reduces the efectivness of the vehicle, and i think a roof rack is more useful than a machine gun.
You have a car, therefore you can drive away from danger, Z's arent a problem, and you should be able to outrun other humans, unless they too have Fj 78 landcruisers, in which case they are kindred spirits and you should stop for a chat
Thanks from:
18-07-2016, 23:12   #35
TheWarChicken

Quote:
This is the setup you want

Minus the stupid wheels and add a set of mesh screens on the windows.

adding more weight reduces the efectivness of the vehicle, and i think a roof rack is more useful than a machine gun.
You have a car, therefore you can drive away from danger, Z's arent a problem, and you should be able to outrun other humans, unless they too have Fj 78 landcruisers, in which case they are kindred spirits and you should stop for a chat
Yes, chat while your friend either places an explosive under said car, or steals it.
Advertisement
19-07-2016, 00:33   #36
Tzar Chasm

See, this is why I'm building Tank traps.

My plan involves rebuilding a society afterwards, thats more difficult if you murder everyone you meet.
19-07-2016, 16:00   #37

Quote:
To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need.
Thanks from:
01-10-2016, 18:25   #38
Grizzly 45

Mercedes Vintage Unimog. Bullet proof easily fixed /repairable diesel engine. Basic tool kit of rock,hammer and leatherman multi tool .Goes from crawler gear to 65mph on road.Lot of parts are compatible with 70s and 80s mercedes cars and trucks.Demountable rear cabin and with front and rear PTO,and 3point linkage you can plough the survivalist garden.

Last edited by Grizzly 45; 01-10-2016 at 18:29.
15-10-2016, 23:38   #39
Blackdragon72

I used to work in the cash transportation business and drove an armoured Merc 814, stonking bug out vehicle, aint no fecker getting in that. Secure as secure is. If you knew what you had to do to get on board you would be surprised.
Advertisement
18-10-2016, 10:51   #40
ScumLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon72 View Post
I used to work in the cash transportation business and drove an armoured Merc 814, stonking bug out vehicle, aint no fecker getting in that. Secure as secure is. If you knew what you had to do to get on board you would be surprised.
What's the milage like on one of those things though?
18-10-2016, 11:00   #41
BrokenArrows

Inject a dose of reality

Fuel supplies will be gone almost immediately.

Correctly stored Petrol will only last up to 6 months before it doesnt work anymore.

Diesel will last towards 1 year.

However fuel in car tanks is not correctly stored. It will be dirty in most cases and wont last even close to that amount of time.

Fuel stabilizers might add 50% to those numbers.

But running an engine after society dies is not feasible simply because you dont have access to a fuel supply.

Your safest bet is to Load up a boat on day 1 with as much food as you can and get to a small island and hunker down.
18-10-2016, 11:08   #42
ScumLord

The island gets mentioned a lot but I don't think it's going to be anything other than a very temporary solution. Also, if you don't have any experience with boats it's probably a good idea to stay well away from the atlantic ocean.

Island life can be pretty harsh, long term food production could be difficult and if other's have the same idea or come looking for you, you're sort of trapped and isolated, you'll be entirely dependant on being able to out row/sail the other people.
18-10-2016, 11:22   #43
Blackdragon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumLord View Post
What's the milage like on one of those things though?
Not too bad really considering they weigh 7.5T! Reliability was only an issue for us due to all the computers on board. Apparently they are happy to take sustained fire from a GPMG though not sure how long for.
19-10-2016, 16:14   #44
Tzar Chasm

Why would you be taking sustained fire, you are in a vehicle, drive away.

Fuel is not as big an issue as people think, BioDiesel is fairly handy to make, and a lot of those big engines will run on vegetable oil anyway.

A decent maintenance schedule at a secure and well stocked base of operations will see your vehicle last a very long time.
19-10-2016, 16:24   #45
my3cents

Quote:
Why would you be taking sustained fire, you are in a vehicle, drive away.

Fuel is not as big an issue as people think, BioDiesel is fairly handy to make, and a lot of those big engines will run on vegetable oil anyway.

A decent maintenance schedule at a secure and well stocked base of operations will see your vehicle last a very long time.
How many rounds do you think a GPMG could get off as you are driving away?

British Army GPMG (as was)
Calibre 7.62mm
Muzzle velocity 838m/s
Feed 100-round disintegrating link belt
Effective range 800m light role, 1800m sustained fire role
Cyclic rate of fire 750 rounds per minute

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text