Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Ch 45 from Wales On last night in Co. Wexford.
    I only get Ch 45 Wales in certain weather condition or if Mt Lenister is down. Unable to comment on Mth Lenister Ch 45 as I cant get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Ch 45 from Wales On last night in Co. Wexford.
    I only get Ch 45 Wales in certain weather condition or if Mt Lenister is down. Unable to comment on Mth Lenister Ch 45 as I cant get it.

Well the fact that you just stated its coming through in the conditions you outlined means that there is co-channel interferrence happening in some areas then - makes sense...i had the same problems before plus i was told in another thread that mount leinstr is operating as well so yet another mess by rte :mad:

Well the fact that you just stated its coming through in the conditions you outlined means that there is co-channel interferrence happening in some areas then - makes sense...i had the same problems before plus i was told in another thread that mount leinstr is operating as well so yet another mess by rte :mad:

I cannot get Mt Lenister Dtt due to Co channel inteference and it is no suprise to me that it is causing problems in other areas.
    However I have been informed that RTE will be building a new Transmitter on Mt Lenister in the future. (I wont be holding my breath on receiving DTT in the future if its still on Ch 45)
    I dont plan on waiting as I hope to get Saorsat reception.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Anyone else here lose rte digital signal in East Mayo around Christmas...:confused:

• Expect reception mahem in the next week or two as an area of high pressurenear the country causes far away signals to come in sporadically causing signal break up on your local transmitter at times.
    Those who don't normally receive uk channels,dont be surprised if at times in the next week you start temporally receiving them on a coming and going basis.

Also be warey that if your digital tv is set to auto tune new stations,that they may over ride your existing selections and you may have to manually fix this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭LiamIRL82

Anyone else having problems picking up channels from Mt. Leinster. They have all just disappeared. Either they are gone or my PlayTv is f**ked.

LiamIRL82 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems picking up channels from Mt. Leinster. They have all just disappeared. Either they are gone or my PlayTv is f**ked.

They seem to be operating ok for me at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

in Co. Cork - Red_FMs north county transmitter (105.7MHz) was off-air for a prolonged period (was off yesterday Sunday, until sometime maybe around midday today Monday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

DTT off the air from Greystones Co. Wicklow relay earlier this morning (Thursday). Back sometime after 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

I have lost signal completely from Mullaganish, anybody else?

• Advertisement

mount leinster seems ok but it does get a wee bit pixilated evry couple of minutes or so...signal is the usual 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ah but what is Quality?

Also short burst of Interference won't usually show up on Quality meter. Only continious interference pulls it down as it's an average.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dont be silly, if you lose channels why dont you look under the telly to see if they fell out?

watty wrote: »
    Ah but what is Quality?

Also short burst of Interference won't usually show up on Quality meter. Only continious interference pulls it down as it's an average.

Good point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Anyone else experience a couple of short outages from kippure today? They lasted 5mins max. Im using play tv so it could be that, I seen an earlier poster had a similar problem

Lost Saorview channels from Forth Mountain, Wexford.
    Signal started to break up at 21:30 approx now all Irish DTT gone.
    Wales Freeview working fine.

Forth is back this morning.
    When I lost Forth last night I noticed Wales Freeview being stronger signal than normal, Is it possible of Co-Channel interference again ?
    This happened once before in the last couple of weeks when I lost Forth for a short period and I could pick up Wales Ch 45.(no Ch45 last night)
    Forth is on 52v and I taught it would not be a problem with Wales.
    I also live 25miles from Forth so this could add to the problem in certain weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anybody else notice full mirror of the mux on channel 21 from Mulla coming through really strong on channel 24 this afternoon?

Forth is back this morning.
    When I lost Forth last night I noticed Wales Freeview being stronger signal than normal, Is it possible of Co-Channel interference again ?
    This happened once before in the last couple of weeks when I lost Forth for a short period and I could pick up Wales Ch 45.(no Ch45 last night)
    Forth is on 52v and I taught it would not be a problem with Wales.
    I also live 25miles from Forth so this could add to the problem in certain weather.

Problem solved, I disconnected Wales aeriel and Forth Mountain 52V doubled in signal and strength quality.
    Will have to get good combiner to keep Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Has the power been reduced from Kippure in the last week or two?
    I've been getting a lot of blocking / freezing and 'bad signal' on-screen messages.

Of course, it might be my crappy aerial. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Problem solved, I disconnected Wales aeriel and Forth Mountain 52V doubled in signal and strength quality.

You must be picking up some co-channel on 52. The only TX in Pembrokshire using 52, is the Haverfordwest mast. It's fairly low power but well sited with good views to the west/north west. (you'll often hear FM from this site in Wexford)

Or, it's a signal originating elsewhere in Ireland...

marclt wrote: »
    You must be picking up some co-channel on 52. The only TX in Pembrokshire using 52, is the Haverfordwest mast. It's fairly low power but well sited with good views to the west/north west. (you'll often hear FM from this site in Wexford)

Or, it's a signal originating elsewhere in Ireland...

I think your right with Wales/Haverfordwest mast. I will still try a good combiner however if it comes to choosing I will leave the Welsh freeview disconnected (I will miss channel Yesterday).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

What do you use presently?

An ordinary combiner/splitter generally loses more than half of each aerial's signal. A diplexer loses far less but with the Presely HD mux on UHF 50 it would be tricky to combine with Forth as a diplexer split at UHF 51 would also suffer losses on 50 & 52.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not true Peter Rhea.

A splitter will give each leg slightly less than 1/2.
    A combiner has a slight loss.

Unless it's made of resistors instead of a "hybrid".

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What do you use presently?

An ordinary combiner/splitter generally loses more than half of each aerial's signal. A diplexer loses far less but with the Presely HD mux on UHF 50 it would be tricky to combine with Forth as a diplexer split at UHF 51 would also suffer losses on 50 & 52.

At the moment I connect the cable for the Forth aerial into a single UHF signal booster/amplifier connected to the mains;
    Quality and Signal would be approx 50% for both. Forth is rock solid.

When connecting the Wales aerial in the past I would connect both the Wales cable and Forth cable into the splitter and then the splitter into the UHF signal amplifier/booster.
    Forth Quality would hold at approx 50% but Signal would drop to approx 25%. In certain weather Wales signal would increase and I would loose Forth and I may also loose some Wales channels on other ocassions.

I know this was a cheap solution so I hope to find a good combiner that may work.

Thanks for any help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I know this was a cheap solution so I hope to find a good combiner that may work.

As watty pointed out, it is the resistive combiners which are to be avoided.
    Something like this Antiference outdoor unit seems a decent proposition.

• Mt Leinster,Kippure and Arklow currently off air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FionaTilly

Reception in North Wicklow gone ten minutes ago

Mt Leinster,Kippure and Arklow currently off air.

Mine was alright untik 9:30 and then the signal started to brrak up until now....its now totally off air at the moment. Mount leinster is my transmitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

As of 11am this morning - info directly from RTE NL;

'We had Mt. Leinster DTT turned off for planned maintenance yesterday, and it may be off again today'

Advertisement