Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I saw some clown posted the same thing on the 42 app.

Probably GalwayLLM, but we'll forgive him as it's been a tough week for the Galway folk. Unfortunately their hurlers bottled it and their footballers are mentally weak ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Old diesel wrote: »
    Very rare for the golfers to win two events in a row.

That needs factoring into the equation too.

Two double bogies make the round look worse too.

Those two holes are +4 in a round that finished up at +1.

What about his performance on the par 5's though?
    I'm sure Koepka isn't happy with his on the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I saw some clown posted the same thing on the 42 app.

Noticed that as well...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is astonishing that a golfer with such poor wedge play, who can't putt and who needs a new caddy has been the best golfer in the world so far this year.
    ronnoco13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure koepka is number 1 and has competed in ever major this year. Credit to Rory he's having a very good season, he's not far off being at his best again but right now he is not best golfer in world.

It's actually Dustin who's the best this year, he has gained 287 world ranking points (two wins, runner up at both the Masters and PGA), Rory 275 and Brooks 257.
    I would have thought Brooks too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

World ranking points aside, I think everyone can agree that Brooks is the best golfer in the world right now and by quite a bit I would say. At least Rory is showing some good form, he went for it Sunday and got killed by that bad lie early on, he also lipped out for eagle and stopped just short of a hole in one on the 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

OEP wrote: »
    World ranking points aside, I think everyone can agree that Brooks is the best golfer in the world right now and by quite a bit I would say. At least Rory is showing some good form, he went for it Sunday and got killed by that bad lie early on, he also lipped out for eagle and stopped just short of a hole in one on the 7th.

Ya I’d agree - on a consistent basis, Brooks is the best in the world.

I hate the clichè though, but on his day Rory is the best in the world. Sadly, that’s only when he hits a hot-streak with his putter. Wedge play is too hot-and-cold too right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brooks definitely seems to always bring his "a" game in the big tournaments and that's actually very unusual. He was no where to be seen last week in Canada. For that reason I'd have Brooks slightly ahead of McIlroy and DJ. Crazy that Brooks only has 2 regular PGA tour titles in his career to date, Rory already has that amount this season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

callaway92 wrote: »

I hate the clichè though, but on his day Rory is the best in the world. Sadly, that’s only when he hits a hot-streak with his putter. Wedge play is too hot-and-cold too right now.

I think its his wedge play that annoys me the most. I probably don't watch enough golf to say much but when I do I always think if he had more spin control with his wedges he would do much better. I don't know how many times I have seen him hit a lovely wedge shot for to spin back to 15/20 feet away.

slave1 wrote: »
    It's actually Dustin who's the best this year, he has gained 287 world ranking points (two wins, runner up at both the Masters and PGA), Rory 275 and Brooks 257.
    I would have thought Brooks too

Is that calculated by their change in total or by the actual points won this year?
    If its the change then it would be skewed by the older points that fall off the 2 year average...right?

callaway92 wrote: »

I still dont think the putter is the problem, its that his birdie putts are invariably from too far away.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I still dont think the putter is the problem, its that his birdie putts are invariably from too far away.

His wedges have been much better this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Spot on.
    From 50-125yds Rory is 165th on tour, averaging almost 21ft proximity, whereas Koepka is 7th, averaging around 16.5ft proximity.
    Rory is 47th in strokes gained putting versus Koepka down at 96th.

His wedges have been much better this year

I'm not so sure, last year he was 8th in proximity from 50-125yds @ just over 16ft.
    I know stats can be made to show pretty much anything you want to back up a point, but IMO if he can hit it 5ft closer on approaches, his putting numbers should improve. I know I'd fancy my chances more with a 15 footer over a 20 footer.

Russman wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, last year he was 8th in proximity from 50-125yds @ just over 16ft.
    I know stats can be made to show pretty much anything you want to back up a point, but IMO if he can hit it 5ft closer on approaches, his putting numbers should improve. I know I'd fancy my chances more with a 15 footer over a 20 footer.

It's a strange one, given that his form was pretty terrible last year, and this year he's playing almost as good as he ever has.

Also, these average stats are susceptible to being skewed by outliers so that could be part of it.

It's a strange one, given that his form was pretty terrible last year, and this year he's playing almost as good as he ever has.

Also, these average stats are susceptible to being skewed by outliers so that could be part of it.

100% agree. This year he seems to be as consistently good as he has ever been. Its strange too in that this year (apart from round 4 in Canada) he hasn't appeared to really light it up on the course, he's just been consistently good all round and racking up top 10's while not appearing to be at his best. Even the win at The Players, while a great win and title to have, wasn't really his A game IMO. Personally I think its that his average level play is almost always good enough for a top 10 and when he plays "well" he tends to win.
    Slightly similar (in some ways) to Norman at his peak - he was top 10/20 almost every time he teed it up for a few years, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

etxp wrote: »
    I think its his wedge play that annoys me the most. I probably don't watch enough golf to say much but when I do I always think if he had more spin control with his wedges he would do much better. I don't know how many times I have seen him hit a lovely wedge shot for to spin back to 15/20 feet away.

Maybe he is using the wrong type of ball , the red Titleist Pro Vs spin less , the Taylor Made balls aren't great going by how many of them i am finding in the rough lately:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

londonred wrote: »
    Maybe he is using the wrong type of ball , the red Titleist Pro Vs spin less , the Taylor Made balls aren't great going by how many of them i am finding in the rough lately:D

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped coming to the golf forum a while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think the big barrier now is starting well in a major. There's a massive weight of expectation on him, from.himself the media, due to his talent. If he gets off to a really hot start I think he can blow the field away, even in a major. I think he'll struggle to win his next major except in that scenario. Cant see him go out shoot a 64 to make up 5 shots on the leader on day 3 or 4, for example, just doesn't seem to be that type.

I think the big barrier now is starting well in a major. There's a massive weight of expectation on him, from.himself the media, due to his talent. If he gets off to a really hot start I think he can blow the field away, even in a major. I think he'll struggle to win his next major except in that scenario. Cant see him go out shoot a 64 to make up 5 shots on the leader on day 3 or 4, for example, just doesn't seem to be that type.

Yeah he's definitely a better front runner seems to free up and play his best game when he's in the lead. I think when he's chasing he probably starts to force shots and ends up with bigger misses. Saying that final round of PGA in 2014 he lost the lead on the front 9 and played brilliantly on back 9 to take it back so he has the ability to chase.

Worried for him in the open he'll have a tonne of media pressure and his own expectations to contend with. Hopefully rises to the occasion but just get a feel that it might hurt him and will have to chase after day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

galwayllm wrote: »
    Mcllroy is like pogba, good when it doesn’t count but when he needs to be brilliant, crumbles.

Except for World Cup finals. The biggest game of soccer of them all and in the last one Pogba was probably the best player on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I'm at a loss to fathom how a player of his ability (or what now might seem lack of) can stand on the first tee with an iron in his hand and hit 2 of the worst shots I have ever seen him hit. Ever!!

He won't win the Masters after that final round in 2011 and with the open in his back yard, he can't hit the first fairway.

Whatever has happened to him from 2015 onwards has surely ruined one of the best potentials to be considered one of the greatest players. Now his is just one of the rest who has won 4 majors and unlikely to add to that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Delete double post.

Outside of majors he is playing some serious golf, I do feel he puts too much pressure on himself at times in majors and certainly at the masters, this was a whole other level though.

And while he played the 1st and 18th like a high handicapper everything in between was ok not great but ok.

Normally I'd say he could shoot up the leader board but I still think he will put too much pressure on himself tomoro

Outside of this the signs are good in terms of his golf game I see more majors in his future.

Hopefully the work he is doing on his mental game pans out and he can put 4 rounds together at the masters one year and win

He gets a shot at the masters every year, I'd say he thought this was a once in a life time thing at portrush, and given it was only scheduled here to let to let St.andrews have the 150th open he might be right.

That being said all the talk form the players and people who cover golf has been very positive about the course.

But its hard to see it ever getting added to the roatation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Outside of majors he is playing some serious golf, I do feel he puts too much pressure on himself at times in majors and certainly at the masters, this was a whole other level though.

And while he played the 1st and 18th like a high handicapper everything in between was ok not great but ok.

Normally I'd say he could shoot up the leader board but I still think he will put too much pressure on himself tomoro

Outside of this the signs are good in terms of his golf game I see more majors in his future.

Hopefully the work he is doing on his mental game pans out and he can put 4 rounds together at the masters one year and win

He gets a shot at the masters every year, I'd say he thought this was a once in a life time thing at portrush, and given it was only scheduled here to let to let St.andrews have the 150th open he might be right.

That being said all the talk form the players and people who cover golf has been very positive about the course.

But its hard to see it ever getting added to the roatation

The four stand out shots were the iron off the tee at the first, his second shot after reload, the 3 putt on 16, the short iron on 18. It is hard to say these were difficult shots to hit. I do feel for him though, anyone who plays sports or performs in public feels worse when you have a shocker in your home venue with family/friends/supporters looking on.

I’m interested as to why you think it’s hard to see it being added to the rotation. Darren Clarke when interviewed on Wednesday indicated that it would be, Rahm said yesterday when interviewed after his round that though he has not played all on the rotation, this is his fifth, and best course so far. Sky said some players had commented that the greens were the best Open greens they had ever played on. To me the course looks amazing, I hope to play it next month, and the leaderboard could not look better, Mcilroy aside, no one is burning it up, it’s not US Open difficult, and most of the big guns are there or there abouts.

tenor.gif

Very quiet in here...usually is when he has a shocker though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

ronnoco13 wrote: »

Worried for him in the open he'll have a tonne of media pressure and his own expectations to contend with. Hopefully rises to the occasion but just get a feel that it might hurt him and will have to chase after day 1

Good call there

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

tenor.gif

Very quiet in here...usually is when he has a shocker though I guess.

Literally been the most talked about player in the open thread. Your some man for the stirring though. I don't even post here regularly and I can see it.

Literally been the most talked about player in the open thread. Your some man for the stirring though. I don't even post here regularly and I can see it.

Indeed, but not in the dedicated Rory McIlroy thread.
    This thread is reserved for fawning only it would appear.

Needs a warning sign on the entrance ,"Caution, thread may be sticky."

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Indeed, but not in the dedicated Rory McIlroy thread.
    This thread is reserved for fawning only it would appear.

Probably should put that one it in the suggestion box. It will go alongside my one for your signature. ,"Caution, user may be on a very high horse"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Very droll but funny too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement