Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Comments

Saturday 39(17/22) off 23 for a first cut in new club.
    1 birdie, 4 pars, 8 bogies, 3 doubles, 2 scratches.
    Driving wasn't great for front nine but something clicked on back nine and managed to play last 5 +1.

Sunday 33(17/16) off 22.
    1 par, 10 bogies, 6 doubles, 1 scratch.
    Again driving was poor wind was up and leaving myself with some bad second shots.

Only 2 3 putts over the two rounds so delighted with that, been working on this a lot with puttout at home so starting to pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    Saturday 39(17/22) off 23 for a first cut in new club.
    1 birdie, 4 pars, 8 bogies, 3 doubles, 2 scratches.
    Driving wasn't great for front nine but something clicked on back nine and managed to play last 5 +1.

Sunday 33(17/16) off 22.
    1 par, 10 bogies, 6 doubles, 1 scratch.
    Again driving was poor wind was up and leaving myself with some bad second shots.

Only 2 3 putts over the two rounds so delighted with that, been working on this a lot with puttout at home so starting to pay off

That's great shooting, keep it up!

i had 25 points (off 18) on Powerscourt West last wkend. honestly feel like i struck the ball better than that, but my short game was just so rough. Found the greens really tough and you're not gonna make much headway when i was 3-putting and even the odd 4-putt.

beautiful course - really fantastic. i think it would be tough to be a member there, quite hilly so you may not be keen on a casual 9 after work.
    But a superb track.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Second medal of the year. First tee I went OOB, in the trees, chip out to fairway, in the front bunker, Over the back, duffed chip, three putt. That was a 10, so round over.

Things settled down into some reasonable to poor play after that but ended the round with 4 back to back pars when I 'figured out what I was doing wrong'.

I'm taking solace in that and the fact that I didn't walk off after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Funny round on Saturday.
    +1 on the front 9 with 9/9 GIR and one silly 3 Putt. Only really left myself 3 makeable birdie putts.

Started off the back 9 with 2 scratches and then a few more pars with another scratch and then parred in from there. Again just one real birdie opportunity at all.

Round summary;
    14/18 GIR
    2 bogeys
    13 pars
    3 scratches
    33 points

Driving the ball as well as I could possibly be and starting to find some range with my new irons. Carrying my 7Iron 185 yards which is an additional 15 to my previous irons. Just need to tidy up a few shots and have a good score in there

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pakman wrote: »
    First tee I went OOB, in the trees, chip out to fairway, in

You chipped your OOB ball back into play?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You chipped your OOB ball back into play?

No I chipped my second drive that went into the trees back into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

31 points in a gale yesterday. Should have been 32 but Kevin Na’d a putt that horseshoed out and I was committed to the pick up!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Am kind of coming into form the last few weeks, my driving is the best its been in years and, hopefully without cursing it, had become very consistent in direction and distance. Saying that I mandaged to drive a ball into the drain on the 15th in Tullamore, a whopping 300 plus yards off the blue tee's and nearly drove the 11th green. Nearly all the rest of my drives were between 220 - 225m.

Finished up with 30 points and that included 3 silly scratches, one was totally avoidable. We were on the 7th and my 2 playing partners were slow enough and they commented to me that we needed to up the pace - one of them was an older guy in a buggy and he was still slower getting around than I was. Anyway, hit an good drive 220m down the fairway and rushed my second shot and hit it slightly left into long grass - the auld buggers wouldn't give me a hand look for the ball as they wanted to hurry up as we had lost the group in front of us - they were on the next fairway. I didn't go back or hit a provisional meaning i scratched the hole. Not wanting to let this get to me, I played the next 9 holes in 4 over which is great going for me. Had the usual mumblings on how i was playing too well for my handicap etc.
    I agree, in patches, I'm much better than my handicap -I just struggle with consistency. I was hitting the ball really well just sometime the accuracy was slightly off or i rushed a putt or two. Get these right and it should come down!
    Am getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A really good weekend of golf this weekend. Friday played in a scramble in Beech Park. Had good craic with 3 mates. One a member of a club but only took up golf this year, one a regular society golfer, but not much more, the last who plays in the same scramble each year but never much more. We had a good day & shot -6, team handicap of 8 for a -14 total. We finished 4th in the end, 0.6 behind 3rd, so 1 birdie would have had us in the prizes. Was a relaxed day, so was swinging easy & played some really nice shots.

Then yesterday we had a club swap with New Forest. Hadnt played it since a boards outing about 3 years ago. Played with my Dad in pretty patchy weather. Rain jacket was on & off all day.

Got off to a solid start & just kept going for the entire round.

Had one bad 3-putt bogey (missed a putt from a max of 2ft) & one poor approach that found a hazard resulting in my only double of the day, but had a shot on the hole so saved a point.

Ended up shooting 78 for 41 points off 11 & won the competition. On top of that, the CSS was 33 on the day, so a cut of 1.6 & down to my lowest ever handicap of 9.7. Singles figures is actually in sight for the first time ever.

2 birdies
    9 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double

78% FIR
    56% GIR
    32 putts

Will miss almost the whole of July from golf with holidays, etc... so need to get things over the line soon hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Class shooting in New Forest, I'm still giving it time before I head back after the beating I got.

• Advertisement

Two comps this week. I had been playing casuals lately due to picking up a dose of the shanks that I'm still not completely shot of :(

Thursday Open
    8qELxZ0.png

6 was my number that day :pac:
    Couldn't hit an iron at target and if I did it was knee height. The few good irons you can make out from the blue and greens on the scorecard.

Overall just poor but I was happy to be out. Scratched the 18th with a 4putt in the lashing rain and missed my buffer to drift up to 17.5/18. I thought the CSS would be 39 like usual but it was actually 37 so I was not a happy bunny as two putts would have got me there. The first one lipped and threw it down the slope, next was short then stopped on the lip :o

The new holes were open today (2nd and 8th) so I went out in the medal.

afcHOur.png

Irons were better apart from a few loose ones and chipping/putting was back where it should be. Two sevens were just one bad shot followed by another, wasn't really in the medal mentality.

Finished 6th and CSS of 36 so off 16.9 now, first time with a 16 in the HC :D

Slightly off topic but one of the playing partners was so bad today I actually wrote his name down so I wouldn't forget it. Absolutely horrible etiquette.
    Asked him not to tell me my score on the 9th and he immediately told me my score.

Kept giving me swing advice after asking twice to not do it. I actually stopped in the fairway and asked face to face really clearly and it didn't stop him. Not "your aiming a bit that way" more like your taking the club face away shut, your closed to target,your taking that too much on the outside even when I hit a good shot.

If I didn't chip it within 5ft "that was a bad chip"

Everytime I'd par he would get on a rant that I was going to win it now,just par the last 3 etc after asking him not to go on like that.

"Thats your round ruined" after I made a 7

The list goes on, absolute joke of a man. Maybe I should have just been more direct and told him to **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Two comps this week. I had been playing casuals lately due to picking up a dose of the shanks that I'm still not completely shot of :(

Thursday Open
    8qELxZ0.png

Couldn't hit an iron at target and if I did it was knee height. The few good irons you can make out from the blue and greens on the scorecard.

Overall just poor but I was happy to be out. Scratched the 18th with a 4putt in the lashing rain and missed my buffer to drift up to 17.5/18. I thought the CSS would be 39 like usual but it was actually 37 so I was not a happy bunny as two putts would have got me there. The first one lipped and threw it down the slope, next was short then stopped on the lip :o

afcHOur.png

Irons were better apart from a few loose ones and chipping/putting was back where it should be. Two sevens were just one bad shot followed by another, wasn't really in the medal mentality.

Slightly off topic but one of the playing partners was so bad today I actually wrote his name down so I wouldn't forget it. Absolutely horrible etiquette.
    Asked him not to tell me my score on the 9th and he immediately told me my score.

Kept giving me swing advice after asking twice to not do it. I actually stopped in the fairway and asked face to face really clearly and it didn't stop him. Not "your aiming a bit that way" more like your taking the club face away shut, your closed to target,your taking that too much on the outside even when I hit a good shot.

Everytime I'd par he would get on a rant that I was going to win it now,just par the last 3 etc after asking him not to go on like that.

The list goes on, absolute joke of a man. Maybe I should have just been more direct and told him to **** off
    Jesus he sounds like a right w@nker. This is the reason I play very few "blind" opens. I too have been paired with some bloody morons.
    Was paired up with 2 hot women before but that's for another thread...

dar_cool wrote: »
    Jesus he sounds like a right w@nker. This is the reason I play very few "blind" opens. I too have been paired with some bloody morons.
    Was paired up with 2 hot women before but that's for another thread...

Ah it wouldn't put me off joining as random, nearly all the people I know from golf are from joining four balls. Apparently he complained because when he'd add his name to the time sheet the slot would empty so he's well known for it.

In all the four balls I've joined in my club, easily 60+ people, this guy and one really slow player are the only one on my "list" to avoid.

Thursday Open
    8qELxZ0.png

afcHOur.png

Well played Dan, handicap has been slowly progressing the right direction this year for you.

Guy sounds like a grade A prick! Have had it once before, in the final day of Captains in my previous club. Having said I didn't want to know my score, announces it to me coming off the 16th & tells me if I parred the last 2 I'd win the captains...needless to say i finished bogey-bogey

Well played Dan, handicap has been slowly progressing the right direction this year for you.

Guy sounds like a grade A prick! Have had it once before, in the final day of Captains in my previous club. Having said I didn't want to know my score, announces it to me coming off the 16th & tells me if I parred the last 2 I'd win the captains...needless to say i finished bogey-bogey

Thanks, feel like I'm finally starting to put the scores in I knew I could.

Yeah it's horrible, sure I should deal with pressure but the added pressure for no reason just gets my goat and that would be the reason for a blow up if there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had 35 points yesterday. Was level with handicap on 14th tee, then had 3 single pointers in a row. Reclaimed two anyway with a par-par finish which was happy about. Only 3 terrible shots in the round, no scratches as lovely.

Got an email then to say I bet the CSS on the day, so a cut if .6 to get to 13.7. Movement at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played 36 holes this weekend in 9 over.

Saturday. 38 off 7. +5 (at the time best personal comp score at my home course)

4 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 treble

Sunday. 39 off 7. +4 (now my best ever score at home course - joined jan 2018)

3 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys

Great weekends' golf. 4 three putts. Few poor chips and one awful tee shot on 18th hole on saturday, duffed 3 wood that went 80 yards on a 550 yard par 5.

Got a ball stuck up a greenside tree today (7 yards to flag, very punishing for such a small miss) and had to take a penalty drop which was heartbreaking as i was +2 through 14 at the time

Cut a full shot to 6.0, hope i can kick on now and put myself in similiar positions rest of summer and also contend in a couple of junior scratch cups.

Played the June medal in my local club. I generally keep my stableford as a guide and I had 38 points which I was very happy with after losing 3 shots a few weeks ago.

Complete jekyll and hyde round where I was either on fire or playing like I was actually on fire.

6 pars
    1 birdie
    6 bogeys
    4 doubles
    1 quad

Net: 70

Still, happy with a .6 cut to leave me at lowest ever of 18.0 and showed I can break 90 again, even with some disasters in my round.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Think everyone has come across this at some point. Last time it happened me , I referred him to Rule 10-2, advise allowed during competitive round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

been playing ok myself lately. Peaked at the Boards outing in the European with a round of +9 which included 9 pars on the trot from 9 to 17. haven't really had much chance of proper golf since then, been playing teams, foresomes, matchplays.

So Saturday last week I was out in medal in Greystones. Couldn't really get it together which really bugged me as I had been playing so well. Few sloppy putts, pars were hard to find. then striped it up the par5 9th to be greenside in 2 and a nice chip and putt for birdie. this got me back to +8 for the round, not great off 12, but hanging in there. it was back to average after that though till I got to 17. Probably the best birdie I've ever made after a poor drive which found the rough, under an evergreen christmas tree with low branches. 140 yards from pin. I say under a tree, but I could still get a swing on it. just had branches between my face and the ball!!! if I caught it right, 80%chance I would not catch any branches coming out. but I had to catch it right. water in front of a narrow green with bunker at back, it's a hard one to hit. i'm already running up a cricket score so with a slight breeze behind me there was only one thing to do..... go for it. Pitching wedge, caught perfect, missed the branches, landed on front of green, 2 hops and rolled about 5 foot up to the hole to leave me with a 1foot birdie putt :D well at least I had something to take away from the day after shooting +18 off 12 :(

then Saturday just gone. I played Castleknock. for the first time in I don't know how long, but genuinely something like 10 + years I started with 4 scratches, thankfully broke the run with 2 solid pars (no shots) then another scratch ….. 8 points for the front 9 :eek:
    then I almost eagle the 10th!! greenside in 2, pin high, lovely chip, 2 inches from dropping... then average again. held onto a respectable 17 points though on the back 9, 25 points though, my worst score in yonks. to be honest, drinking the night before, and up early for kids birthday parties was not the prep to play golf and I was just shattered by the end of it. (that's my excuse anyway)

anyway, now 12.3 and danger of slipping further if I don't get my act in gear. not what I wasn't when i'm targeting getting to singles figures

• Advertisement

Haven't posted in a while:o

Been playing steady this year so far, but nothing great in qualifying. Got a custom set of irons (AP1) last September and worked on swing with lessons over the winter and on chipping in the spring. Made a tweak to driver set-up about a month ago, and it has been massively beneficial.

Last 5 counting have been in the buffer (including a very windy Galway Bay). Played casual rounds in Greencastle in Donegal (short course) twice last week, 44 & 40 pts. Played 9 at home last night off the tips (22pts).

I think I have a good score coming, and hopefully a nice cut to go with it. Been stuck at 17/18 for years but hoping the work this year pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

18 holes in Vale Do Lobo Sunday. 2 under thru 4, scratched the 5th, an ace on the 9th, and lots of bogeys on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Haven't played in nearly a 8 months with an injury. So nice to get out for a game in the gold coast in the last week.

Golf left a lot to be desired. 92 strokes off 12. Still nice to be out. Still don't feel fully right but hopefully can get in a few more games over he summer.

2 rounds again this weekend (I could get used to this!!!)

First, 32 points out in Thurles with Boards. Bit of a mixed bag. Played some really nice golf, generally drove the ball pretty well, and played some decent strategic golf here & there. Couldn't quite get things going on the back 9. Was putting myself in OK positions, but putts weren't dropping. No 3-putts at all though which is a definite positive.

Then today was playing in the Scratch Cup in the home clubs open week.

Shot 82 strokes off 10. Could have been a few shots better too.

11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 Quad 9 on a par 5 :(

Clause 19 should bring that down to a 7 as I've no stroke on the hole, which should mean a 2 under and possibly the cut to get 9.

The quad was a shocker. Hit drive into the trees. Knocked it out on the fairway & hit a decent iron down in range. Had about 100 left to the pin hitting my 4th, figured worst case scenario I was making a 6. Pulled approach into greenside bunker. Tried to be a bit too precise with it, caught the lip & rolled back into the bunker & came to a stop in my footprint. Tried hitting out of a terrible lie but left it in the bunker again. Splashed out in a rage, 2 putts & on to the next.

Bounced back well though & parred the next 5 holes on the bounce.

Scrambled & putted extremely well all day, actually my best putting day ever. 25 putts (11 1-putts, 7 2-putts. Had lip-outs on 2 of those 2-putts too & I've no idea how they didn't drop as they were basically dead weight & stopped within a couple of inches)

53% FIR
    11% GIR
    56% Scrambling

Edit...ahhh, scratch cup was won with 81 strokes, so I missed out by 1 stroke including the 9, but cut to 9.3 so finally hit single figures

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Strange round yesterday. Started off by finding out I was 24 hours early for my tee time bout 5 minutes before I started. Got a gap an hour later, so was messing around that whole time. Then I must have taken a knock at football a few days earlier, back of ribs are in bits when take a deep breath, and then swinging a club doesn't help.

So while trying to go full tilt at it, I was cutting the ball with the driver, then also losing distance on every club (normal 9 irons became 8, etc.). Striking was far worse than it has been in weeks too! Got off to a quick start though, good few pars. Got to the turn at level. Then two over after 11. Think was trying to force my usual game to this stage (going with my usual clubs even though all were short).

12th I said to myself I better take the extra clubs where needed. Was 1 over gross for last 7, 5 better than handicap which included 2 birdies. Tbh I probably should have had 2 more pars too, but was content with those 3 putts.

2 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogies
    3 worse

Somehow all combined to a 39 points. Comes with a cut to 12.8, so have to deal with a shot less now.

Roll on Enniscrone and Strandhill this week!

33 points Saturday.
    Course got alot of rain Friday night so they decided placing everywhere. Honestly placing in the fairway would have been generous.

4 Pars total I think which is poor for me.
    I had 7 3 putts. Two were from long range but .. yeah. I had a handful of make able birdie chances that I walked off with a double so frustration was getting high.

I've been working so much on getting my strike back with irons/driver my old miss with the putter (pull) is creeping back in. Back to Puttout nightly in the house to sort that out, no point getting on the green in two only to 3putt.

Plus side is I'm getting back to the center of the club face again which is a huge relief.

The good score I was predicting arrived, unfortunately it was a casual round. Broke 80 :) (79) at the home course for the first time, previous best being an 85.
    11 pars , 7 bogeys, just never put myself in any trouble.

Roll on the weekend competition and reality bites :(
    Start with double, double, scratch:eek:. and horrible rain showers to boot. Managed to grind through the round and scrap into the buffer with 34 points.

Hopefully can put a score together someday when I actually have a card in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Shot my course record on Saturday of 74 Gross for 68 Nett. Felt that this round was coming over the past weeks, key to the round was keeping any doubles off the card. Solid front 9 and only really made 1 mistake from a duff approach on a par 5 to turn 1 under.

3 silly bogeys on the back 9 from good positions and finished 2 over overall to beat my best score by 1 shot. A nice cut of 0.6 to get back down to 5.0.

3 birdies
    10 pars
    5 bogeys

Now to try follow it up next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Managed to get 3 round of golf in this week suprisingly.

Thursday evening I played day 1 of the captains and like all my golf lately was a mixed bag totally. Started double bogie, bogie and I was angry but then went par par to get back on track +3 thru 4 and 3 easy holes to follow. Lovely drive down left clipped trees but they are easy to get out from and I was along way down on a par 4. Walked down and ball was no where to be found. Walked all the way back to tee and came off with a triple! Rest of round was much th same a good hole or 2 followed followed by a disaster. To win was always out of the question but I was hoping to win gross so when I finished +9 nett it felt as if I was gone and thoughts if having to play day 2 with zero to play for was tough!

1 birdie
    5 pars
    4 bogies
    6 doubles
    2 worse 🙈

Saturday was a much better day down with the society in thurles. Again there was no great golf played but I was putting well enough and kept big score off the card and I was over to moon to get the win with 37pts. One of my first times this year shooting better than handicap. Really struggling with my swing after 18 months or so out of the game. Just really inconsistent with both pull, pushes and S****ks , Duff's and tops literally every shot!

1 birdie
    7 pars
    7 bogies
    3 doubles

So Sunday and day 2 of captains came around very quick and I was tired and with nothing to play for thought I might relax and stop overthinking my swing etc but no again I started awful on the front 9 with a list ball on 5 again! One of my favourite holes but I had birdie with my second ball. The golf on the front 9 was better than on Thursday but still came away having used up all my handicap mainly because of an 8 on par 4 8th. My second ball was about an inch into OB and just too many bogies!
    On the 10th tee I was fustrated, disheartened and if I could find an excuse at all I might have gone home. Playing bogie golf and worse but to not get another .1 back I would need to shot lever par on the back or close to it... unlikely!
    So started just hitting one shot at a time and before I knew it we were on the 17th tee and I was +1 gross for the back. Knocked down my drive on 17 but got the bogie and my drive on 18 had to be putted out from under the tree but again make bogie with a long putt. Broke 40 for the 1st time on 9 holes so that's something to bring me out again cause I was seriously considering a hiatus from the game. So that left me hitting 180 over the 2 days +36gross.
    However as I've said before there are only about 5 women in the club playing off less that 20 so to my amazement, surprise and delight I won the gross

8 pars
    7 bogie
    2 doubles
    1 quad

So what I'm taking from this week. Is the golf is still in me to get back to 10 or lower I just need to stop overthinking my swing and the game when I'm on the course and really try reduce the big mistakes! Looking forward to next round!

• Advertisement

Lost on the 19th at 10.30pm last night in the Singles Matchplay. Still in one more next week.

I was late to the match, started early (6am) to be back for 6pm and didn't get finished work until 7pm so I was dead on my feet.Straight from work to the course and straight out onto the first in my work clothes. Had to step off the last putt on the 19th with my legs acting like an accordion.

Was one up on the 9th at 2over par off 17 against a 12HC and then went hole for hole on the back nine. I just couldn't keep it up and it was getting hard to see the ball by the 17th, I just wanted it over. Playing off the Blues tired is rough on the best of days.

His ball split in to two on his second on 17 so I let him retake it, he hit it over the green into the trees. I was helping him look and he called it but I found it on the way back out for under them and he proceeded to hit one of the best recoveries I've seen. He had to grip the club about 6" up from the club head and knocked it to 10feet.

Really good game and a gent aswell.

Advertisement