Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-06-2019, 21:28   #196
dan_ep82

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote View Post
Well played Dan, handicap has been slowly progressing the right direction this year for you.

Guy sounds like a grade A prick! Have had it once before, in the final day of Captains in my previous club. Having said I didn't want to know my score, announces it to me coming off the 16th & tells me if I parred the last 2 I'd win the captains...needless to say i finished bogey-bogey

Thanks, feel like I'm finally starting to put the scores in I knew I could.

Yeah it's horrible, sure I should deal with pressure but the added pressure for no reason just gets my goat and that would be the reason for a blow up if there was one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2019, 22:20   #197
Mushy

Had 35 points yesterday. Was level with handicap on 14th tee, then had 3 single pointers in a row. Reclaimed two anyway with a par-par finish which was happy about. Only 3 terrible shots in the round, no scratches as lovely.

Got an email then to say I bet the CSS on the day, so a cut if .6 to get to 13.7. Movement at last!
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2019, 22:31   #198
mighty magpie

Played 36 holes this weekend in 9 over.

Saturday. 38 off 7. +5 (at the time best personal comp score at my home course)

4 birdies
7 pars
6 bogeys
1 treble

Sunday. 39 off 7. +4 (now my best ever score at home course - joined jan 2018)

3 birdies
8 pars
7 bogeys

Great weekends' golf. 4 three putts. Few poor chips and one awful tee shot on 18th hole on saturday, duffed 3 wood that went 80 yards on a 550 yard par 5.

Got a ball stuck up a greenside tree today (7 yards to flag, very punishing for such a small miss) and had to take a penalty drop which was heartbreaking as i was +2 through 14 at the time

Cut a full shot to 6.0, hope i can kick on now and put myself in similiar positions rest of summer and also contend in a couple of junior scratch cups.
10-06-2019, 09:55   #199
pakman

Played the June medal in my local club. I generally keep my stableford as a guide and I had 38 points which I was very happy with after losing 3 shots a few weeks ago.

Complete jekyll and hyde round where I was either on fire or playing like I was actually on fire.

6 pars
1 birdie
6 bogeys
4 doubles
1 quad

Net: 70

Still, happy with a .6 cut to leave me at lowest ever of 18.0 and showed I can break 90 again, even with some disasters in my round.
10-06-2019, 13:25   #200
martinkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_ep82 View Post

Kept giving me swing advice after asking twice to not do it. I actually stopped in the fairway and asked face to face really clearly and it didn't stop him. Not "your aiming a bit that way" more like your taking the club face away shut, your closed to target,your taking that too much on the outside even when I hit a good shot.
Think everyone has come across this at some point. Last time it happened me , I referred him to Rule 10-2, advise allowed during competitive round.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 16:23   #201
Seve OB

been playing ok myself lately. Peaked at the Boards outing in the European with a round of +9 which included 9 pars on the trot from 9 to 17. haven't really had much chance of proper golf since then, been playing teams, foresomes, matchplays.

So Saturday last week I was out in medal in Greystones. Couldn't really get it together which really bugged me as I had been playing so well. Few sloppy putts, pars were hard to find. then striped it up the par5 9th to be greenside in 2 and a nice chip and putt for birdie. this got me back to +8 for the round, not great off 12, but hanging in there. it was back to average after that though till I got to 17. Probably the best birdie I've ever made after a poor drive which found the rough, under an evergreen christmas tree with low branches. 140 yards from pin. I say under a tree, but I could still get a swing on it. just had branches between my face and the ball!!! if I caught it right, 80%chance I would not catch any branches coming out. but I had to catch it right. water in front of a narrow green with bunker at back, it's a hard one to hit. i'm already running up a cricket score so with a slight breeze behind me there was only one thing to do..... go for it. Pitching wedge, caught perfect, missed the branches, landed on front of green, 2 hops and rolled about 5 foot up to the hole to leave me with a 1foot birdie putt well at least I had something to take away from the day after shooting +18 off 12

then Saturday just gone. I played Castleknock. for the first time in I don't know how long, but genuinely something like 10 + years I started with 4 scratches, thankfully broke the run with 2 solid pars (no shots) then another scratch ….. 8 points for the front 9
then I almost eagle the 10th!! greenside in 2, pin high, lovely chip, 2 inches from dropping... then average again. held onto a respectable 17 points though on the back 9, 25 points though, my worst score in yonks. to be honest, drinking the night before, and up early for kids birthday parties was not the prep to play golf and I was just shattered by the end of it. (that's my excuse anyway)

anyway, now 12.3 and danger of slipping further if I don't get my act in gear. not what I wasn't when i'm targeting getting to singles figures
(4) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 11:32   #202
martinkop

Haven't posted in a while

Been playing steady this year so far, but nothing great in qualifying. Got a custom set of irons (AP1) last September and worked on swing with lessons over the winter and on chipping in the spring. Made a tweak to driver set-up about a month ago, and it has been massively beneficial.

Last 5 counting have been in the buffer (including a very windy Galway Bay). Played casual rounds in Greencastle in Donegal (short course) twice last week, 44 & 40 pts. Played 9 at home last night off the tips (22pts).

I think I have a good score coming, and hopefully a nice cut to go with it. Been stuck at 17/18 for years but hoping the work this year pays off.
(3) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 21:07   #203
idle

18 holes in Vale Do Lobo Sunday. 2 under thru 4, scratched the 5th, an ace on the 9th, and lots of bogeys on the back
12-06-2019, 21:17   #204
PhuckHugh22

Haven't played in nearly a 8 months with an injury. So nice to get out for a game in the gold coast in the last week.

Golf left a lot to be desired. 92 strokes off 12. Still nice to be out. Still don't feel fully right but hopefully can get in a few more games over he summer.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 21:54   #205
spacecoyote

2 rounds again this weekend (I could get used to this!!!)

First, 32 points out in Thurles with Boards. Bit of a mixed bag. Played some really nice golf, generally drove the ball pretty well, and played some decent strategic golf here & there. Couldn't quite get things going on the back 9. Was putting myself in OK positions, but putts weren't dropping. No 3-putts at all though which is a definite positive.

Then today was playing in the Scratch Cup in the home clubs open week.

Shot 82 strokes off 10. Could have been a few shots better too.

11 pars
6 bogeys
1 Quad 9 on a par 5

Clause 19 should bring that down to a 7 as I've no stroke on the hole, which should mean a 2 under and possibly the cut to get 9.

The quad was a shocker. Hit drive into the trees. Knocked it out on the fairway & hit a decent iron down in range. Had about 100 left to the pin hitting my 4th, figured worst case scenario I was making a 6. Pulled approach into greenside bunker. Tried to be a bit too precise with it, caught the lip & rolled back into the bunker & came to a stop in my footprint. Tried hitting out of a terrible lie but left it in the bunker again. Splashed out in a rage, 2 putts & on to the next.

Bounced back well though & parred the next 5 holes on the bounce.

Scrambled & putted extremely well all day, actually my best putting day ever. 25 putts (11 1-putts, 7 2-putts. Had lip-outs on 2 of those 2-putts too & I've no idea how they didn't drop as they were basically dead weight & stopped within a couple of inches)

53% FIR
11% GIR
56% Scrambling

Edit...ahhh, scratch cup was won with 81 strokes, so I missed out by 1 stroke including the 9, but cut to 9.3 so finally hit single figures

Last edited by spacecoyote; 16-06-2019 at 22:50.
16-06-2019, 23:01   #206
Mushy

Strange round yesterday. Started off by finding out I was 24 hours early for my tee time bout 5 minutes before I started. Got a gap an hour later, so was messing around that whole time. Then I must have taken a knock at football a few days earlier, back of ribs are in bits when take a deep breath, and then swinging a club doesn't help.

So while trying to go full tilt at it, I was cutting the ball with the driver, then also losing distance on every club (normal 9 irons became 8, etc.). Striking was far worse than it has been in weeks too! Got off to a quick start though, good few pars. Got to the turn at level. Then two over after 11. Think was trying to force my usual game to this stage (going with my usual clubs even though all were short).

12th I said to myself I better take the extra clubs where needed. Was 1 over gross for last 7, 5 better than handicap which included 2 birdies. Tbh I probably should have had 2 more pars too, but was content with those 3 putts.

2 birdies
7 pars
6 bogies
3 worse

Somehow all combined to a 39 points. Comes with a cut to 12.8, so have to deal with a shot less now.

Roll on Enniscrone and Strandhill this week!
16-06-2019, 23:23   #207
dan_ep82

33 points Saturday.
Course got alot of rain Friday night so they decided placing everywhere. Honestly placing in the fairway would have been generous.

4 Pars total I think which is poor for me.
I had 7 3 putts. Two were from long range but .. yeah. I had a handful of make able birdie chances that I walked off with a double so frustration was getting high.

I've been working so much on getting my strike back with irons/driver my old miss with the putter (pull) is creeping back in. Back to Puttout nightly in the house to sort that out, no point getting on the green in two only to 3putt.

Plus side is I'm getting back to the center of the club face again which is a huge relief.
(3) thanks from:
17-06-2019, 08:27   #208
martinkop

The good score I was predicting arrived, unfortunately it was a casual round. Broke 80 (79) at the home course for the first time, previous best being an 85.
11 pars , 7 bogeys, just never put myself in any trouble.

Roll on the weekend competition and reality bites
Start with double, double, scratch. and horrible rain showers to boot. Managed to grind through the round and scrap into the buffer with 34 points.

Hopefully can put a score together someday when I actually have a card in the pocket.
17-06-2019, 08:34   #209
frink

Shot my course record on Saturday of 74 Gross for 68 Nett. Felt that this round was coming over the past weeks, key to the round was keeping any doubles off the card. Solid front 9 and only really made 1 mistake from a duff approach on a par 5 to turn 1 under.

3 silly bogeys on the back 9 from good positions and finished 2 over overall to beat my best score by 1 shot. A nice cut of 0.6 to get back down to 5.0.

3 birdies
10 pars
5 bogeys

Now to try follow it up next week!
17-06-2019, 09:35   #210
OffalyMedic

Managed to get 3 round of golf in this week suprisingly.

Thursday evening I played day 1 of the captains and like all my golf lately was a mixed bag totally. Started double bogie, bogie and I was angry but then went par par to get back on track +3 thru 4 and 3 easy holes to follow. Lovely drive down left clipped trees but they are easy to get out from and I was along way down on a par 4. Walked down and ball was no where to be found. Walked all the way back to tee and came off with a triple! Rest of round was much th same a good hole or 2 followed followed by a disaster. To win was always out of the question but I was hoping to win gross so when I finished +9 nett it felt as if I was gone and thoughts if having to play day 2 with zero to play for was tough!

1 birdie
5 pars
4 bogies
6 doubles
2 worse 🙈

Saturday was a much better day down with the society in thurles. Again there was no great golf played but I was putting well enough and kept big score off the card and I was over to moon to get the win with 37pts. One of my first times this year shooting better than handicap. Really struggling with my swing after 18 months or so out of the game. Just really inconsistent with both pull, pushes and S****ks , Duff's and tops literally every shot!

1 birdie
7 pars
7 bogies
3 doubles

So Sunday and day 2 of captains came around very quick and I was tired and with nothing to play for thought I might relax and stop overthinking my swing etc but no again I started awful on the front 9 with a list ball on 5 again! One of my favourite holes but I had birdie with my second ball. The golf on the front 9 was better than on Thursday but still came away having used up all my handicap mainly because of an 8 on par 4 8th. My second ball was about an inch into OB and just too many bogies!
On the 10th tee I was fustrated, disheartened and if I could find an excuse at all I might have gone home. Playing bogie golf and worse but to not get another .1 back I would need to shot lever par on the back or close to it... unlikely!
So started just hitting one shot at a time and before I knew it we were on the 17th tee and I was +1 gross for the back. Knocked down my drive on 17 but got the bogie and my drive on 18 had to be putted out from under the tree but again make bogie with a long putt. Broke 40 for the 1st time on 9 holes so that's something to bring me out again cause I was seriously considering a hiatus from the game. So that left me hitting 180 over the 2 days +36gross.
However as I've said before there are only about 5 women in the club playing off less that 20 so to my amazement, surprise and delight I won the gross

8 pars
7 bogie
2 doubles
1 quad

So what I'm taking from this week. Is the golf is still in me to get back to 10 or lower I just need to stop overthinking my swing and the game when I'm on the course and really try reduce the big mistakes! Looking forward to next round!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion