Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2019, 22:24   #616
indiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughie101 View Post
Is there much of a chance of getting into Ul on a 53? According to the CAO, medicine applicants are down by 3 percent and this years Dublin sitting was in RCSI instead of UCD, which is a smaller venue. I know the cut-off score depends on the score that the lowest person admitted to the course obtained but I just feel that medicine doesn't seem as appealing as it did a few years ago since theres a lot more money and opportunities in the country. This was my second time sitting the exam and im so sickend that i didn't get an extra point or two
Hate to point this out but you can use your GAMSAT score for 2 years so you'd assume everybody who got <55 and didn't get in will be reapplying in the hope that it goes down or they are randomly selected? There was only a handful of people who got in on 54 to UL and they all had to start late.
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 01:05   #617
brendanwalsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoninus View Post
Hey guys! Quick question...

I sat the GAMSAT in Dublin in March this year and got 68 (I maintain there was a clerical error, I was expecting MAYBE a 60). I chucked all 4 GEM courses down on my CAO in this order: 1.UCD, 2.RCSI, 3.UCC and 4.UL.

I'm now wondering, since I'm likely to get my first choice, UCD, is it worth altering my CAO so that that's the only choice - as in, is there any chance that somehow I'll only get an offer to Cork or Limerick? I'm asking because I live in Dublin, and to be offered a place at UCC and UL would be pretty much impossible to accept for practicality reasons. I put all 4 down for the craic really, but now worry about the possibility of an offer from one of the non-Dublin unis!!
If you get an offer from Cork or limerick you don't have to accept them.

You're guaranteed to get dublin anyway as the minimum points for dublin have always been less than 68

Congrats and good luck in UCD, it's a beautiful college.
17-05-2019, 08:27   #618
galwaypharmer

In the event you get offered Cork/Limerick in the first round offers and accept them, is it not possible to get offered Dublin if the points dropped in later rounds given you had accepted Cork/Limerick?
Thanks from:
17-05-2019, 15:02   #619
arainagusime

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaypharmer View Post
In the event you get offered Cork/Limerick in the first round offers and accept them, is it not possible to get offered Dublin if the points dropped in later rounds given you had accepted Cork/Limerick?
Same question.

If you accept UL on a 58 in round zero because it was your only option, are you not offered UCC in round 2 if the points drop?
17-05-2019, 15:13   #620
medgirl18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arainagusime View Post
Same question.

If you accept UL on a 58 in round zero because it was your only option, are you not offered UCC in round 2 if the points drop?
Yes you’d get UCC/Dublin in the next round assuming that you had them ahead of UL on the CAO. But if UL was your first choice then you would not get anywhere else even if you did have a high enough score at any offer stage.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 21:56   #621
Celestial12

Congrats to everyone on your results!

If you have the points you'll get your first offer, it doesn't matter what you have listed after that. The points are unlikely to change by more than 1 point from last year, unless they've changed the quota for places in any of the colleges etc Otherwise, as you can see from previous years, the points have remained steady with little to no change. Just make sure all your documentation is in order and the process is quite easy.

If you accept an offer from UL in round 0 you will get an offer from another University in a later round if you have them as a higher choice, and a place becomes available. A couple of people in my class got late offers.
Thanks from:
18-05-2019, 05:42   #622
Indecisivegirl

Does anyone know how many EU students UCC takes?
18-05-2019, 12:44   #623
Celestial12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisivegirl View Post
Does anyone know how many EU students UCC takes?
I think they take about 75 students in total, split approx 50% EU/International.
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2019, 09:43   #624
Leoninus

Thanks for your help guys!

As it turns out, the CAO have the free 'change of mind' thing open until 1st of July I think, so I just removed UCC and UL from my choices just to be sure. It was very easy. There's no sense in putting down courses I don't intend to accept, in fact it's clearly just stupid.

Also, having checked with CAO, the GEM offers are all sent out together on the 1st of August.

Good luck to everybody!

Edit: just to clarify, I mean the actual process of removing UCC and UL was physically very easy with the website's interface, I don't mean it was a clear and no-brain decision! Honestly, if UL were somehow transplanted to Dublin I think I'd prefer to go there. It looks awesome.
Advertisement
21-05-2019, 13:02   #625
esme95

Guys looking for some serious advice here. Got 56, been doing a lot of thinking and I think that I am just going to take a medicine offer. The thing is, I don't know if I will. I know that nobody knows what the points will be like yet, but do you think a score of 56 would be likely to be enough? I am not sure if I should hand in my notice fot work, given that I need a notice period of about 13 weeks is required.
26-05-2019, 17:59   #626
arainagusime

Quote:
Originally Posted by esme95 View Post
Guys looking for some serious advice here. Got 56, been doing a lot of thinking and I think that I am just going to take a medicine offer. The thing is, I don't know if I will. I know that nobody knows what the points will be like yet, but do you think a score of 56 would be likely to be enough? I am not sure if I should hand in my notice fot work, given that I need a notice period of about 13 weeks is required.
56 is enough to be cautiously optimistic for UL. Nobody can really know, but what has changed since last year? The economy is still booming, and Acer hasn't changed their scoring system, so a 56 this year is about the same as a 56 last year.

What did you end up doing?

Last edited by arainagusime; 26-05-2019 at 19:03.
Thanks from:
26-05-2019, 18:17   #627
jody24

Hi guys, i have lots of gamsat material including des oneills and golden gamsat book. cant really remember all but i am willing to sell them for a very cheap price (lets say 100 euro for all) or if the person really needs them and cant afford, i am willing to give him/her for free and hope he/she pas it round too.
Thanks from:
27-05-2019, 16:25   #628
esme95

Quote:
Originally Posted by arainagusime View Post
56 is enough to be cautiously optimistic for UL. Nobody can really know, but what has changed since last year? The economy is still booming, and Acer hasn't changed their scoring system, so a 56 this year is about the same as a 56 last year.

What did you end up doing?
Thanks. I am going to hand in my notice tomorrow, hopefully I won't end up needing to repeat with a 56.
29-05-2019, 17:47   #629
si1234

I am on a 54, from 2018 sitting and due to personal reasons couldn't repeat this year very worried and just hoping UL drops / get random selection. Is it from CAO or from UL you find out your randomly assigned number?
30-05-2019, 00:10   #630
medgirl18

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1234 View Post
I am on a 54, from 2018 sitting and due to personal reasons couldn't repeat this year very worried and just hoping UL drops / get random selection. Is it from CAO or from UL you find out your randomly assigned number?
I got mine last year by emailing the CAO I was on 54 with a random number of 200 and it wasn’t enough. I heard of someone getting in on 54 with a random number in the 600s but I’m not sure how much lower it went after that. People definitely got offers on 53 the year previously (my friend was one of them) but UL didn’t publish that their cut off went that low. Best of luck!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion