Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 9 | Episode 1 | A New Beginning [AMC] [SPOILERS]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

fritzelly wrote: »
    All promos for it said the 7th

Fair enough, not sure where I got October 14th from?

Bit peeved as I have a week off this week and could have streamed it Sunday night!
    Still nothing huge happened and Gregory's residency at The Hilltop was ridiculous at this stage so no big shock what happened to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i was upset Ezekiel didn't get eaten alive :mad: and I'll miss Gregory.

As a character I thought he was one of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ehh... the cgi of the birds, jaysus.
    It was an ok episode but i can see why it got the lowest rating for an opener.
    It was fairly boring all things considered and these flash forwards are kinda annoying.
    Looking forward to Negan coming back.

bear1 wrote: »
    Ehh... the cgi of the birds, jaysus.
    It was an ok episode but i can see why it got the lowest rating for an opener.
    It was fairly boring all things considered and these flash forwards are kinda annoying.
    Looking forward to Negan coming back.

Meh, I'm not. I know they are trying to stay true to the comics re Negan and
    I anticipate his time is going to be short once Rick dies
    but it is ridiculous that he wasn't killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I gave up on last season about 5 episodes in.

I watched the first one this season and liked it. I'll give it a few more and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

New showrunner on Talking Dead making mostly all the right noises about her vision for the show going forward - not slamming the previous seasons (she's been a writer for years anyway) but definitely addressing what I've considered to be a lot of the problems; they won't be solved in one episode, even though I do believe this was a soft reboot, but definitely an improvement IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

and the kid goes back to free the horse.

jaysus they really see their audience as morons I think
    The kid has a large machete and there is one walker near the wagon.....kill walker with machete?.....nope he'll just cut the rope and wave his arm around in front of the walker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Riskymove wrote: »
    jaysus they really see their audience as morons I think
    The kid has a large machete and there is one walker near the wagon.....kill walker with machete?.....nope he'll just cut the rope and wave his arm around in front of the walker

I turned it off after that, same old cliched crap. I think I’m done with it until the season is over and see how it goes.
    I’m watching new shows at the moment and I’ve to watch the wire yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Blazer wrote: »
    and I’ve to watch the wire yet .

Do it.....NOW!!

Dh4xjqQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Do it.....NOW!!

Dh4xjqQ.jpg

On my list also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It needed more scenes were 2 people were talking...and talking...and talking.

That wagon scene were your man dies was such lazy writing. This far into a zombie apocalypse and someone is picked off by a tiny hoard while trying to help a horse. Oh Fook off.

Same sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Glad to see the group out of the woods for some of the episode anyway. It was a nice difference to see an urban setting again, as opposed to the two stretches of road they seem to use for every outside scene, with the occasional gas station or one-horse town thrown in for good measure. It showed the time lapse too thankfully, with the obvious dirt and deterioration of the cars and general surroundings outside the museum.

Ken dying was a bit forced but I guess it was the catalyst for the rest of the storyline. Could have been done in more dramatic fashion though.

I like how they'll occasionally throw in a scene where the group see how others have (unsuccessfully) tried to shelter or escape from the walkers. There had clearly been people living/sheltering in the museum when society had broken down, all now walkers unless some escaped during an attack and closed the doors behind them. I always remember the scene in I think, S5 where Maggie hears noises from an abandoned car boot, and opens it to find a woman (now a walker obvs), bound and gagged in the boot. I mean, wtf happened there? We never found out. We were left to just imagine. There were others throughout the seasons that they came upon while on runs. There was an entire family in either S1 or S2 that they came upon in a house that had died by murder/suicide. It's just a little reminder that there are other ordinary people out there trying to survive, outside of our main groups. Anyway, I digress....

Not a bad start. There was unmistakably a different tone to this episode, and hopefully the season to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Abysmal season opener.
    The writing is so lazy. When Ezeikel went through the glass there was zero danger he was going to be killed. You knew they just weren`t going to kill off a main character like that. They stopped doing that kind of entertaining stuff about 6 or 7 years ago.

The whole walking across the glass floor with carts, boats and ploughs was just comical and had zero sense of risk. By the end of the scene every character must have walked back and forth across the creaking glass at least 3 times, sweaty brows, aerial shots of walkers and tense music ad nauseum.

Similar to the series as a whole, the biggest problem with this scene was you are left with so many questions and obvious plotholes.
    Why did they need to bring the plough et al with them? Could their blacksmith not have come too and made some sketches and notes?
    Those seeds they took from the museum would be around 5-6 years old, its highly unlikely they`d still be viable.

I gave up watching it properly about 2 seasons back. I`m still well able to keep up with the storylines which says a lot.
    Killing off peripheral characters in cliched and lazy ways while main characters dodge death in elaborate scenarios got boring a long time ago.

Also, Gabriel looks like a caricature of his original character. One of the many "main" characters who`s purpose ended seasons ago but are still around as completely failed metaphors for morality in the post apocalyptic world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I didn't enjoy last season much and didn't get around to watching this until Wednesday. My other half, who used to be a massive fan, was less than enthusiastic to give it another shot. After the episode, he declared I'm on my own from this point out, which is fair enough really. I'll stick out the season as I've watched it from the beginning and I want to see how they get rid of Rick. It's a shame to see how poor it's gotten in the last couple of years though, the tension has been sucked out of it and once interesting group dynamics have become overplayed and bland. Hopefully it will pick up a bit from the opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

fritzelly wrote:
    Because farm machinery needs diesel and they don't have..oh wait...nope no reason but adds some suspense to the first episode Thought the exact same thing about the wagon - why??? Unless I missed something about petrol/diesel degradation being mentioned which would be very real by now. Actually the more I think about it that is the way they are going, by now petrol would be pretty much useless ergo the horses which have never really been used before now.

They addressed this in the show - they've scavenged all the accessible fuel they can reach and can't produce enough biofuel for their needs.

It was still ****e, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

paw patrol wrote: »
    i was upset Ezekiel didn't get eaten alive

I thought his number was surely up because it was very like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow.

The situation with Sanctuary is crazy. Instead of being leeched at gunpoint for supplies, Rick & co are volunteering. Sanctuary should have been emptied out and the surviving saviours executed or split up between the three productive settlements.

I was getting Fallout 3 flashback backs from the museum in Washington...but even so, I can't figure out why they didn't bring the plough down one side of the steps and either pass it over the bannister, avoiding the glass completely, or onto the glass at the bottom and then a sharp right off it again.

I know, I know...anyway, this episode was an improvement, I think. Can't expect too much too soon, but it was OK enough to stick with for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm only still watching it as I've watched it from the beginning. I liken it to brushing my teeth. Something that needs to be done which you are indifferent in doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just watching this now. Remind me please: why can't Maggie go back to Alexandria?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Just watching this now. Remind me please: why can't Maggie go back to Alexandria?

Well being within and having her child within spitting distance of her husband's killer may be reason!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well being within and having her child within spitting distance of her husband's killer may be reason!

Thanks. Couldn't even remember where Negan was being held.

Advertisement