Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning down job interview on Turas Nua

• 14-06-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there,

Is it possible to turn down a job interview on Turas Nua without sanctions?

I got offered a job interview today, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. It is minimum wage, long hours, I rely on public transport - the weekly train ticket alone will take a chuck out of my wage. I have no experience in one aspect of the job spec - so I will have to train/learn hard for it (an area that I am not particularly enthusiastic about). I wasn't overly excited for it, to be honest. I got the impression that the interviewer wasn't terribly enthusiastic about me. I just get this foreboding feeling that I won't like it

I only applied for it because I didn't like to say no to my personal adviser in fear of getting my payment docked.

Is it to late to do anything about it now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

go to the interview in a tracksuit

and don't be afraid to say no in future,tell them its not for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

go to the interview in a tracksuit

and don't be afraid to say no in future,tell them its not for you

What do you think will be the consequences for the poster if they take your advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he doesn't get the job, which is his aim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

why not try to get the job?
    if you want off unemployment sometimes the difficult/boring/low paid job is the only way to start.
    i appreciate that the bus fare is a big chunk out of low wages but it doesnt have to stay that way forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

Gympodie wrote: »
    Hi there,

Is it possible to turn down a job interview on Turas Nua without sanctions?

I got offered a job interview today, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. It is minimum wage, long hours, I rely on public transport - the weekly train ticket alone will take a chuck out of my wage. I have no experience in one aspect of the job spec - so I will have to train/learn hard for it (an area that I am not particularly enthusiastic about). I wasn't overly excited for it, to be honest. I got the impression that the interviewer wasn't terribly enthusiastic about me. I just get this foreboding feeling that I won't like it

I only applied for it because I didn't like to say no to my personal adviser in fear of getting my payment docked.

Is it to late to do anything about it now?

Yes, it's possible to turn it down if you feel it won't suit you as long as you have some reasonable grounds to rely on.

However, you should do it with caution. Declining one job interview that you feel is unsuitable is reasonable, but you have to bear in mind that the next interview your adviser suggests you may like even less, and then you are on shaky ground if you refuse once again.

There's no harm in going to the interview and seeing what the place is like. It will give you the chance to ask questions about anything you are unsure about and clarify any concerns. It might be better than you fear, but you won't know unless you attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

at least you'll sharpen up your interview techniques

commute, want higher wages, might have to learn something

thats what we call 'a job' alright

Advertisement