Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hit car, high quote

• 11-06-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

My cousin bumped a car with his, and took photos.

The owner of the other car came back with a quote that seems very high, he asked the owner to get another quote, which came back similarly priced, but higher.

The owner of the other car has asked for cash as their mechanic doesn't take Credit cards...

Can he get his own quote? Or has anyone any idea what may be the best way to go forward with this. Obviously not going to hand over cash without a receipt etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Suckit wrote: »

The owner of the other car came back with a quote that seems very high, he asked the owner to get another quote, which came back similarly priced, but higher.

The owner of the other car has asked for cash as their mechanic doesn't take Credit cards...

Can he get his own quote? Or has anyone any idea what may be the best way to go forward with this. Obviously not going to hand over cash without a receipt etc.

Your cousin was at fault. Not sure if he would have any right being picky about the quote. (ie, imagine if they went with the place your cousin suggested and then something further went wrong again)

Did they mutually decide to not go through insurance to pay for the damage to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'd be very thankful and hand over that cash ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm missing all the important details here.

But in essence, no, he cannot get his own quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

He cannot ask for it to be paid in cash. I have experienced similar where I was the one that was hit.

I got a quote, they got a quote - mine was slightly less so he was happy to go with that. Plus I mentioned I wanted it to be with a dealership rather than something 'unofficial'.

The other car owner could be doing a quote and the job with a mate and thus doing it off the books - hence the reason for cash only request. DO NOT ACCPET THIS.

Just to add to it - tell the other car owner you want to do it via EFT or via card so that there is a record of the transaction, and that you want an invoice and receipt to be issued.

If he cannot do this, ask for the quote to be reduced by 13.5% (or relevant rates) for VAT, as it may well be being done off the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No. Your friend cannot get a quote from his chosen garage to fix the other persons car.
    He caused the damage. The owner is entitled to take the car to whatever professional body shop they wish.

Best he could try is to nominate a professional independent workshop agreeable to both parties and then accept that quote.

If they are clearly taking the piss, he could just let it all though insurance and they will look after it and only pay correct, although still high price.

Another point here is that if you cause say 2000 worth of damage to someone else's car, it is not your decision as to whether they actually fix it or not. You still owe them 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Just to add to it - tell the other car owner you want to do it via EFT or via card so that there is a record of the transaction, and that you want an invoice and receipt to be issued.

If he cannot do this, ask for the quote to be reduced by 13.5% (or relevant rates) for VAT, as it may well be being done off the books.

Just to be clear, if you hit my car and suggested this or the previous suggestion, I would say thank you and no, and it would be going through the insurance company. Why would I put myself to any further inconvenience... Mad suggestions

My car, my choice. You pay it however I want it and however much it is, whether I fix it or not, or it goes through insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The other person doesn't need to have the car repaired. They have to compensated so that they are returned to the same condition as before. But they can pick the quote and have zero responsibility to actually use the garage.

If your friend starts saying I'll only do a bank transfer or use my garage the other driver will just go through insurance and the quotes will be higher and affect their NCD, the other person still doesn't have to fix the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, yeah he knows it's his fault and has no problem paying, he just doesn't want it to come back again.
    The quote seemed very high, but even that, he is willing to pay. Mechanic has stated that he would accept a cheque now.

Would a bank issued cheque be okay?

There was no agreement or disagreement regarding using any mechanic, I think they both agreed not to go through insurance. He is willing to pay the quote he just thought it was high, and then the mechanic wouldn't take cash.
    He also initially wanted to know if he could get his own quote, but that seem to be a definite no.

Just to be clear, if you hit my car and suggested this or the previous suggestion, I would say thank you and no, and it would be going through the insurance company. Why would I put myself to any further inconvenience... Mad suggestions

My car, my choice. You pay it however I want it and however much it is, whether I fix it or not, or it goes through insurance.

But its not your inconvenience, if it's a legitimate garage then absolutely card/EFT would be accepted and probably preferred. If you were using a mechanic that didn't want a trace of the payment I would certainly pull you up on that.

If the OPs cousin refused this, and it went through insurance, do you think they are going to rock up with cash to pay the mechanic - absolutely mad idea!

I agree, you don't have to fix it, but then still I would be looking to pay the other car owner where there is a trace of the payment rather than in cash.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah he knows it's his fault and has no problem paying, he just doesn't want it to come back again.
    The quote seemed very high, but even that, he is willing to pay. Mechanic has stated that he would accept a cheque now.

Would a bank issued cheque be okay?

There was no agreement or disagreement regarding using any mechanic, I think they both agreed not to go through insurance. He is willing to pay the quote he just thought it was high, and then the mechanic wouldn't take cash.
    He also initially wanted to know if he could get his own quote, but that seem to be a definite no.

If your cousin wants peace of mind, he could go to a garage with the quote he has received for the repairs from the other car owner and ask them does it seem reasonable. Most garages will do that for you for free, some might charge €50 but that is generally to inspect actual damage and quote for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Whocare

This is why I always go through insurance it's not worth the hassle especially if it's not my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just get receipts for the money he pays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Whocare wrote: »
    This is why I always go through insurance it's not worth the hassle especially if it's not my fault

So how often have you let it go through the insurance when it was your fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly if the guy hit me and then started being picky about the quote and how he paid I’d just go through his insurance instead.
    He’s doing the lad a favour not going through the insurance and it’s not being appreciated.

I’ve been on both ends of this deal in my day. I was happy to pay cash and save my insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The suggestion of a receipt is though a reasonable one, otherwise how would you prove that you had paid it in a dispute?

I personally would require some paperwork to say that I had paid the money and that it was in full and final settlement of the claimed damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Spook_ie wrote: »
    it was in full and final settlement of the claimed damage.
    Going slightly off topic, they have up to 2 years after the incident to lodge a personal injuries claim.

Unless it's a very low sum I would put it through the insurance and be prepared to take the hit on the NCB the next year.

fella reversed into me once and was decent enough to leave his number

wanted to stay off insurance, look ok, im not oit to crucify anyone

got a quote, he started wrangling.

my car was off the road the in-between times and i was being put out so it was a short conversation.

he was a decent skin but nobody is ever going to pay for work on someone elses car and not want to quibble the price but theres no two ways about it- hand in pocket and thanks for keeping that off the record pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How you pay the owner for the repairs is irrelevant, I don't get the big issue over cash/EFT/cheque - who cares if the mechanic pays his VAT or not? What matters more than anything is that when you're paying him, get the owner to sign a document accepting the payment 'in full and final settlement' of the accident.

If you simply give him money, he can come back and claim that his mechanic discovered damage to the steering or suspension which is going to add €2,000 to the cost of the repair. And if that pushes it into insurance claim territory, you can wave goodbye to any money you already handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

_Brian wrote: »
    Honestly if the guy hit me and then started being picky about the quote and how he paid I’d just go through his insurance instead.
    He’s doing the lad a favour not going through the insurance and it’s not being appreciated.

I’ve been on both ends of this deal in my day. I was happy to pay cash and save my insurance premiums.

Just to clarify, he wasn't being picky, he was looking for some sort of reassurance maybe.
    The quote did seem high, but the guy he bumped into was odd anyway. He took my cousins details but wouldn't give his and drove off.

My cousin then got a phone call from a private number and it was other driver quoting a lot more than he expected. He said he could get another quote and did, then it was higher.
    Other driver then said to pay him in cash, so my cousin drew the line there and I think wanted to figure out was it some sort of scam.

Eventually my cousin got speaking to the mechanic who wouldn't take a card. So they eventually agreed on a cheque, which my cousin had issued by the bank. And will be looking for an invoice.

It just seemed weird, so my cousin asked a few questions, I wasn't sure about the answers so I asked here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Give him the cash. You are no position to start getting huffy.

Make sure he is the registered owner, take a photo of the registration cert.

Get his driving licence, photo it, write up a receipt with his name and ref the licence number.

Use wording something like "in full and final payment for damage to reg # XXXX on date of incident".

Get him to sign it and move on. Do not give him a copy of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was the other car owner in the car at the time?

If yes he could still put in an injury claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Tomw86 wrote: »
    He cannot ask for it to be paid in cash. I have experienced similar where I was the one that was hit.

I got a quote, they got a quote - mine was slightly less so he was happy to go with that. Plus I mentioned I wanted it to be with a dealership rather than something 'unofficial'.

The other car owner could be doing a quote and the job with a mate and thus doing it off the books - hence the reason for cash only request. DO NOT ACCPET THIS.

If I was the innocent party in a shunt and agreed to sort it outside the insurance i would give the other party a price to be paid in cash and would sign whatever receipt seemed reasonable, what I do with the car or the cash is no business of the other party. I would not be ripping anybody off but would make sure I was not out of pocket. If they don't like it they DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT IT. It would be me doing the other party a favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Eventually my cousin got speaking to the mechanic who wouldn't take a card. So they eventually agreed on a cheque, which my cousin had issued by the bank. And will be looking for an invoice.

Your cousin shouldn't be dealing with the mechanic. Does he realise that the car owner can still lodge a claim for whiplash? In which case that money your cousin paid to the mechanic is money wasted? Hand the money over to the ownerof the car, in return for a receipt 'in full and final settlement'. Anything else leaves the door open to a whiplash claim and/or a bill for more more repairs from the mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

paddy19 wrote: »
    Give him the cash. You are no position to start getting huffy.

Make sure he is the registered owner, take a photo of the registration cert.

Get his driving licence, photo it, write up a receipt with his name and ref the licence number.

Use wording something like "in full and final payment for damage to reg # XXXX on date of incident".

Get him to sign it and move on. Do not give him a copy of the receipt.

Most of this I'd agree with except the cash. I'd certainly refuse to pay straight cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I was told by a garda that after being hit, didnt call the cops, other party then went did a runner after giving me false info, chased it up and they chased him down. Long story short ALWAYS CALL THE COPS no matter how minor as you have very little come back otherwise and they wont help you in my situation.

I got quotes and the other party wasnt happy with the price and they were fully entitled to go and get their own quote. both parties either agree or disagree, if they disagree then Id be going through insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just to clarify, he wasn't being picky, he was looking for some sort of reassurance maybe.
    The quote did seem high, but the guy he bumped into was odd anyway. He took my cousins details but wouldn't give his and drove off.

My cousin then got a phone call from a private number and it was other driver quoting a lot more than he expected. He said he could get another quote and did, then it was higher.
    Other driver then said to pay him in cash, so my cousin drew the line there and I think wanted to figure out was it some sort of scam.

It just seemed weird, so my cousin asked a few questions, I wasn't sure about the answers so I asked here.

It’s an Irish classic.
    Your cousin drives into somebody damaging their car, and then wonders if the wronged party is running a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s an Irish classic.
    Your cousin drives into somebody damaging their car, and then wonders if the wronged party is running a scam.
    I think the question here was whether the quote wasn't inflated just a bit. Seemed to have worked out well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Remember simple repairs are really expensive to do right. I agreed to avoid insurance companies for a guy that reversed into me. I got 2 quotes for around 1200. About 400 of it was for something I could do without and I didn't want the hassle of going through insurance so when I rang the other party I told him I wanted 800. He freaked out and accused me of trying to rip him off (even though I was doing him a turn). We ended up going through insurance and I'm sure he has paid it in increased premiums several times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most of this I'd agree with except the cash. I'd certainly refuse to pay straight cash.

Once you get a receipt why would cash be out of the question?

Advertisement