Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Available benefits calculator?

• 09-06-2019 1:29pm

I am currently trying to advise a friend who has never navigated the welfare system before.

She has been in constant employment for 10+ years, except for 8 months working as a self-employed contractor last year, which seems to leave her ineligible for Jobseekers' Benefit (she worked as a contractor until November).

She has 5,000 euro in savings, and has paid employee PRSI since November.

I'm almost certain she is entitled to JA, but what about rent assistance? Her current rent is 930 euro per month in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown. The local limit for her apartment is 660 euro per month.

Comments

You're not excluded from JB just because you worked in self employment.
    If she paid PRSI to the necessary degree in 2017 she would be entitled to JB.

If she doesn't qualify for JB, or not at the full rate then the self employment becomes a problem as she'll have to be assessed by a SWI to determine if the S/E is still in existence.
    If its not a letter of deregistration from Revenue would be needed and if at hand at the beginning could prevent it going to SWI.

If she doesn't qualify for JB, or not at the full rate then the self employment becomes a problem as she'll have to be assessed by a SWI to determine if the S/E is still in existence.
    If its not a letter of deregistration from Revenue would be needed and if at hand at the beginning could prevent it going to SWI.
    Just to be clear, the "self-employment" was for a well known multi-national company. There's no question of it still being in existence.

She has about 23 weeks of paid PRSI behind her, in the current tax year (the full year to date), but she has full contributions for 2017, so she may be entitled to JB.

Either way, my question really relates to how she can source help with her rent? Presumably this is means-tested, and will her savings of 5k affect this?

Just to be clear, the "self-employment" was for a well known multi-national company. There's no question of it still being in existence.

She has about 23 weeks of paid PRSI behind her, in the current tax year (the full year to date), but she has full contributions for 2017, so she may be entitled to JB.

Either way, my question really relates to how she can source help with her rent? Presumably this is means-tested, and will her savings of 5k affect this?

Well rent is managed by the council now through HAP so I don't know much about that. The Community Welfare Service will take people on an emergency basis but 99% are council recipients now.

Well rent is managed by the council now through HAP so I don't know much about that. The Community Welfare Service will take people on an emergency basis but 99% are council recipients now.
    Yeah, have tried looking into this, but English is not her first language, and it may as well not be mine for as clear as they make it. Can't fathom whether she is entitled to some assistance or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,331 ✭✭✭✭zell12

.. my question really relates to how she can source help with her rent? Presumably this is means-tested, and will her savings of 5k affect this?
    Her landlord needs to sign detailed forms for rent supplement or HAP or she needs to find a place that accepts same. €5k is fine.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Her landlord needs to sign detailed forms for rent supplement or HAP or she needs to find a place that accepts same. €5k is fine.
    I did warn her about the landlord issue. Given the rent he's charging (930 for an apartment) I suspect he may not be fully tax-compliant.

But given that she's above the local threshold , is there any chance of her getting the payment?

This lady is a colleague (former colleague) of mine and was shocked to hear, after 10 or more years in the Irish workforce and having been granted citizenship, that she may not be entitled to rent assistance. I must admit, I was pretty surprised myself when I started researching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,331 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If she's above local threshold, then she'll be refused rent supplement.
    She'll be told to apply for for social housing, for HAP etc. Further, she'll probably be told to share a house/flat to meet the threshold level.

I suggest she visit the local citizens information office for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I did warn her about the landlord issue. Given the rent he's charging (930 for an apartment) I suspect he may not be fully tax-compliant.

But given that she's above the local threshold , is there any chance of her getting the payment?

This lady is a colleague (former colleague) of mine and was shocked to hear, after 10 or more years in the Irish workforce and having been granted citizenship, that she may not be entitled to rent assistance. I must admit, I was pretty surprised myself when I started researching it.

If she worked 39 weeks + in 2017 then she’s entitled to JSB as long as she didn’t make herself unemployed and she’s looking for and available for full time work.
    If the apartment she’s in is monthly above the rent limit for her circumstances then she’s disqualified from rent supplement.
    To get HAP she needs to be considered as “in need of housing” by her local authority.
    Download the form from the LA website and start gathering up the supporting documents.
    If she’s not tax compliant she’ll be refused until she is.
    HAP is means tested. All the LAs have different scales.
    The LA will only pay the balance up to the rent limit level.
    So if the rent limit is €650 and her rent is €950 for example then BEWARE! She will be paying that €300 to the landlord at the end of the month on top of her weekly payment.
    Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, very informative. Am meeting her today for lunch and will advise on all of the above

Advertisement