Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving other cars extension

• 04-06-2019 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

So my renewal is due next week. As i am with liberty they offer me a driving other cars extension which applies to any vehicle I don’t own so long as it’s insured. Does anyone know of any companies that offer a driving other cars extension that don’t insist on other car having valid insurance like liberty used to do. I would like to have this cover for driving my dads old carina 2 every few weeks or so to keep battery charged. No policy on it but has valid NCT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

weekaizer wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any companies that offer a driving other cars extension that don’t insist on other car having valid insurance like liberty used to do.

Allianz Aviva and Liberty are currently the only insurers which impose that condition in their 'driving other cars' cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

coylemj wrote: »
    Allianz and Liberty are currently the only insurers which impose this condition.

Was gonna say
    AIG do not need car to be insured but you've a much clearer answer

Edit
    Delete Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Sono

Sure why would any insurer offer this, nothing to stop you insuring a 1 litre vehicle and driving around in a much bigger engine under DOC which you may not have been quoted for originally. It makes sense that the vehicle has to be insured that you drive under this condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

So my renewal is due next week. As i am with liberty they offer me a driving other cars extension which applies to any vehicle I don’t own so long as it’s insured. Does anyone know of any companies that offer a driving other cars extension that don’t insist on other car having valid insurance like liberty used to do. I would like to have this cover for driving my dads old carina 2 every few weeks or so to keep battery charged. No policy on it but has valid NCT.

AA insurance have good coverage for driving other cars, worth giving them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Sono

Was gonna say
    AIG and Aviva do not need car to be insured but you've a much clearer answer

You 100% sure about this? Seems crazy on their part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Allianz and Liberty are currently the only insurers which impose that condition in their 'driving other cars' cover.

Liberty I believe changed their policy last year so the car driving does need to have an insurance policy on it. I will try Allianz and AA now thanks.

Was gonna say
    AIG and Aviva do not need car to be insured but you've a much clearer answer

I made a typo in my reply (post #2) above, I've since corrected it.

Aviva does impose this condition, not Allianz.

See 'Driving other cars', condition 4 on p.17 (it won't allow me to copy the text) here ....

https://www.aviva.ie/content/dam/aviva-public/ie/pdfs/motorcare-policy-booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sono wrote: »
    Sure why would any insurer offer this, nothing to stop you insuring a 1 litre vehicle and driving around in a much bigger engine under DOC which you may not have been quoted for originally. It makes sense that the vehicle has to be insured that you drive under this condition.

The good old Granny Skyline rule, that's probably why Liberty finally changed their policy T&Cs tho.

Was very handy when buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

See 'Driving other cars', condition 4 on p.17 (it won't allow me to copy the text) here ....

https://www.aviva.ie/content/dam/aviva-public/ie/pdfs/motorcare-policy-booklet.pdf

Correct
    My info was out of date.
    Edited my post to reflect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Many of them that allow it do have restrictions to stop people taking the mick.
    My last insurance covered up to 2.5l or the engine capacity of the insured vehicle.
    My current is up to 2l I think.

Still silly the way they specify by engine capacity.

Really should be along the lines of insurance group eg you can drive cars up to 2 level above your own.

• Advertisement

Got a reasonable quote from Allianz today, boy on the phone states that the driving other cars policy will apply only to cars that already have an insurance policy on it so it seems there’s no companies offering driving other cars on cars that have no policy on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Got a reasonable quote from Allianz today, boy on the phone states that the driving other cars policy will apply only to cars that already have an insurance policy on it so it seems there’s no companies offering driving other cars on cars that have no policy on it...

There is, here is conditions from Bank of Ireland, who I think are underwritten by RSA

3. Comprehensive Driving Other Cars
    If item 5(b) is shown on current Certificate of Insurance and Section 4 is shown on the current
    Schedule of Insurance we will cover you under the terms of Sections 2, 3 and 4 while you are
    personally driving a vehicle as described in item 5(b) provided that
    a) the vehicles engine capacity is not greater than 2,500 cubic centimetres and the value
    does not exceed €50,000
    b) you have the owner's permission to drive the vehicle
    c) the vehicle has not been modified in any way
    d) the loss or damage occurs within the Republic of Ireland
    e) there is no other insurance in force which covers you to drive that vehicle.
    Where such cover exists no payment will be made under this sub section irrespective of the
    cover provided by that other policy

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2016/01/Car-Insurance-Policy-Booklet-0518.pdf

No requirement for other car to be insured mentioned

There is no such condition in the Allianz policy document. And take note that, legally, nothing that you are told on the phone counts for anything.

Every policy of motor insurance contains a clause which states that the contract consists of what is stated in the (1) policy document (2) the schedule, this is the cover letter you get which states the conditions applicable to your policy and (3) the cert.

I've stated this I don't know how many times in this forum.... never ask a technical question off a person in a call centre because what they tell you counts for nothing. The answer to every such question is this: read the policy document.

The policy document contains the terms and conditions which applies to all of that company's policies and if there was a condition that 'driving other cars' cover only applied if the other car had a policy of it's own, the policy document would say so.

But the Allianz policy document does not have that condition.....

Endorsement No 4 – Driving other Cars

We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car:

1. Does not belong to You or Your employer.
    2. Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement.
    3. Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which You are a director, member or employee.
    Cover under this Endorsement is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.

Page 16 .... https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_document_0412.pdf

There is no such condition in the Allianz policy document. And take note that, legally, nothing that you are told on the phone counts for anything.

Every policy of motor insurance contains a clause which states that the contract consists of what is stated in the (1) policy document (2) the schedule, this is the cover letter you get which states the conditions applicable to your policy and (3) the cert.

I've stated this I don't know how many times in this forum.... never ask a technical question off a person in a call centre because what they tell you counts for nothing. The answer to every such question is this: read the policy document.

The policy document contains the terms and conditions which applies to all of that company's policies and if there was a condition that 'driving other cars' cover only applied if the other car had a policy of it's own, the policy document would say so.

But the Allianz policy document does not have that condition.....

Endorsement No 4 – Driving other Cars

We will insure You in respect of legal liability, as provided under Section 1 (Third Party Insurance) whilst You are driving another Private Car, provided such Private Car:

1. Does not belong to You or Your employer.
    2. Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement.
    3. Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which You are a director, member or employee.
    Cover under this Endorsement is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.

Page 16 .... https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/motor_policy_document_0412.pdf

Thanks for that!
    I don’t even see anything specifying the car has to have a valid NCT or to be even roadworthy.
    That might swing me in favor of Allianz, they’re only about €80 more expensive than liberty and they include step back no claims protection which liberty haven’t offered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

RustyNut wrote: »
    AA insurance have good coverage for driving other cars, worth giving them a bell.
    AA members have comprehensive cover as per my documents.
    Membership is extra.
    Granted members get a discount on the insurance premium.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    There is, here is conditions from Bank of Ireland, who I think are underwritten by RSA

3. Comprehensive Driving Other Cars
    If item 5(b) is shown on current Certificate of Insurance and Section 4 is shown on the current
    Schedule of Insurance we will cover you under the terms of Sections 2, 3 and 4 while you are
    personally driving a vehicle as described in item 5(b) provided that
    a) the vehicles engine capacity is not greater than 2,500 cubic centimetres and the value
    does not exceed €50,000
    b) you have the owner's permission to drive the vehicle
    c) the vehicle has not been modified in any way
    d) the loss or damage occurs within the Republic of Ireland
    e) there is no other insurance in force which covers you to drive that vehicle.
    Where such cover exists no payment will be made under this sub section irrespective of the
    cover provided by that other policy

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2016/01/Car-Insurance-Policy-Booklet-0518.pdf

No requirement for other car to be insured mentioned

Spoke to bank of Ireland who gave me a quote of only €10 more than liberty for essentially the same coverage.
    Indeed the do seem to cover driving other cars third party so long as it has a valid NCT. I think I will change over to them. Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement