Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else able to divine for water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    When we were getting a well sunk here a few years ago.
    The owner of the drilling rig first dowsed/divined for the water underground using two pieces of electric fence wire.
    To get the best place to drill he first found where one stream was running and then found another stream and where the two streams crossed over we drilled the well. We found water at a dept of 80ft and there is a very good flow from it.

Any way before we drilled he said to my father do you want to try and he handed the wires to him and sure enough the wires crossed in the same places in the field as the drill owner did. Then I tried it and it worked for me as well.

If you want to do it. Cut two pieces of mild electric fence wire exactly the same length. Bend it in an L shape with the bit that sticks out is longer than the bit in your hands. Hold the wires loosely (but still have contact like a hinge) in your hands so that a breath of wind would turn the rods. Face the rods straight ahead in front of you and don't think of anything and walk very slowly. Sometimes one rod will move out to the side (that just means that it's that way). But when the rods both turn in to the centre then you've found it.

So call me mad. Not bothered.:D
    So can anyone else here divine or dowse for water ( or electric cables, some can do that as well)???
    Yes u can find water with the two metal rods. Now can't tell ya how deep the water is or how good the flow is as the old timers with the hazel can do but I was told by a auld local that 50% of people at least can find the water with the rods.

Oh and it works better if my hands are damp while holding the rods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

mikeymouse wrote: »
    what I find fascinating is : when the drillers divine for water , they seem
    to find the best spot is just inside a gate with hardcore and plenty room to
    maneuver their rig. (call me an old skeptic)

Bingo.

Was talking to a well drilling contractor there a couple of weeks back who reckons it's rubbish (regarding deep well drilling anyway).

In a lot of situations groundwater can be found throughout a field - it depends on the geology and hydrogeology of the area. In some areas, groundwater is purely through localised fracture flow in the rock and there's an element of chance as to whether it's found at a certain location or not.

Well drillers will know the geology of an area like the back of their hand - if its an area where groundwater flow is localised , I've a fair feeling they'll leave the bits of wire in their pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A neighbour who was around before my time used to be able to water divine he also reckoned there was Texas tea on his farm but never struck it lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

onrail wrote: »
    Bingo.

Was talking to a well drilling contractor there a couple of weeks back who reckons it's rubbish (regarding deep well drilling anyway).

In a lot of situations groundwater can be found throughout a field - it depends on the geology and hydrogeology of the area. In some areas, groundwater is purely through localised fracture flow in the rock and there's an element of chance as to whether it's found at a certain location or not.

Well drillers will know the geology of an area like the back of their hand - if its an area where groundwater flow is localised , I've a fair feeling they'll leave the bits of wire in their pocket!

I was thinking that the other day. I totally believe that divining works, I just don't understand how those clever sticks always seem to find a spot where there's not only water, but also a fair chance of getting a 20 tonne + drilling rig in and out in the minimum possible time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How do you explain finding the exact location of water pipes under ground?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

How do you explain finding the exact location of water pipes under ground?

I can't, it's definitely some kind of magic.

My digger bucket has a divining talent all of it's own... the teeth can find their way miraculously straight through any water pipe or cable duct which I have previously put in, even if they have moved 20 ft or more from the place I remember putting them.

kowtow wrote: »
    I was thinking that the other day. I totally believe that divining works, I just don't understand how those clever sticks always seem to find a spot where there's not only water, but also a fair chance of getting a 20 tonne + drilling rig in and out in the minimum possible time...

Why don't you try it? I did this evening after reading this thread, I knew roughly the spot where there is a water pipe and sure enough the rods crossed at that point.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why don't you try it? I did this evening after reading this thread, I knew roughly the spot where there is a water pipe and sure enough the rods crossed at that point.

But if you didn't know beforehand where the pipe was, would the rods have moved??

From the Wikipedia article on dowsing/divining....
    ....dowsing could be explained in terms of sensory cues, expectancy effects and probability.[44] Skeptics and some supporters believe that dowsing apparatus has no power of its own but merely amplifies slight movements of the hands caused by a phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect: people's subconscious minds may influence their bodies without their consciously deciding to take action. This would make the dowsing rods a conduit for the diviner's subconscious knowledge or perception; but also susceptible to confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What I don't get is, if it works and I have seen it work, why is it not scientifically proven to work?
    All it would take is, bury some water pipe under ground and let diviners find it. Very simple test to do under proper supervision.

That's what my divinig uncle said. Then he gave me the rods and told me to find the pipe.

I did.

My dad tried and my son - neither of them could get a twitch out of the rods (a couple of straightened out hangars). My dad was a bit annoyed that his brother and his son could make it work, but he couldn't.

We're all scientists of one kind or another, btw. :cool:

But if you didn't know beforehand where the pipe was, would the rods have moved??

From the Wikipedia article on dowsing/divining....

It also worked where I didn't know there was water, under ground streams I presume.

That article saying that you unconsciously move your hands to move the rods, how does the rod turn 360 degrees in places?

• Advertisement

It also worked where I didn't know there was water, under ground streams I presume.

How do you know it worked?
    That article saying that you unconsciously move your hands to move the rods, how does the rod turn 360 degrees in places?

By you unconsciously moving your hands

What I don't get is, if it works and I have seen it work, why is it not scientifically proven to work?
    All it would take is, bury some water pipe under ground and let diviners find it. Very simple test to do under proper supervision.

Further down in that Wikipedia article:
    Kassel study[edit]
    A 1990 double-blind study[36][37][38] was undertaken in Kassel, Germany, under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences). James Randi offered a US$10,000 prize to any successful dowser. The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which water flow could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters (19.7 in) under a level field, the position of each marked on the surface with a colored strip. The dowsers had to tell whether water was running through each pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate. However, the results were no better than chance, thus no one was awarded the prize.

I've seen it 'work' in a couple of places but tending to side with the actual scientists after reading this

How do you know it worked?

By you unconsciously moving your hands

Well the first time I did it was in an strangers yard with no idea of where the pipe was and then a second time not looking at the rods. Friend told me when they touched and I was right both times. By a margin of a foot or so

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well the first time I did it was in an strangers yard with no idea of where the pipe was and then a second time not looking at the rods. Friend told me when they touched and I was right both times. By a margin of a foot or so

Don't know tbh - but how many times do you think it'd work if you were to go into 10 or 100 different fields. The studies even said that lads occasionally got it right, but purely by chance.

Know I'm sounding like a bit of a bollocks here - but it's very hard to believe that it works if proper scientific studies can't prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don't know tbh - but how many times do you think it'd work if you were to go into 10 or 100 different fields. The studies even said that lads occasionally got it right, but purely by chance.

Know I'm sounding like a bit of a bollocks here - but it's very hard to believe that it works if proper scientific studies can't prove it!

Your not alone.
    No way "electromagnetism" or any "force" from water is Moving random metal rods. I've worked with electromagnets, rf, microwaves And recording equipment for same and seriously lads this isn't happening.

If there were forces capable of moving these rods from 200ft deep they would have enormous effect of every day life on the surface.

_Brian wrote: »
    Your not alone.
    No way "electromagnetism" or any "force" from water is Moving random metal rods. I've worked with electromagnets, rf, microwaves And recording equipment for same and seriously lads this isn't happening.

If there were forces capable of moving these rods from 200ft deep they would have enormous effect of every day life on the surface.

Cheers. Should probably add I'm a Ground/Groundwater Engineer by profession. (and part time farmer)

Did you ever try it yourself?

Did you ever try it yourself?

Was just about to say - I'll be straight out on Saturday to give it a go. Will probably be eating my words come Sunday.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

cant believe theres a somewhat serious discussion about this, lord lamb of jaysus! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Tis witchcraft.:P

I don't know I can't really explain it. I had to try it again this evening with rods and they crossed where a water pipe is running. I tried it with welding rods and bent them in an L and they worked as well. There's no way your hands move the rods. Before you start hold the rods straight out and then move your hands side to side to see if the rods can swing easily and then let them centre straight ahead and start walking slowly and when the rods turn in you have something.
    A neighbour can do it really good as well and can find waterpipes crossing the road for the council.
    Ah it's only a bit of fun but there must be something behind it.

I have to see this 3 egg thing though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

flutered wrote: »
    not every one has the knack of finding a good spring, any of the companys sinking wells go down to the water table.

Springs are where groundwater discharges at the surface. Use your eyes to find springs.

Tis witchcraft.:P

I don't know I can't really explain it. I had to try it again this evening with rods and they crossed where a water pipe is running. I tried it with welding rods and bent them in an L and they worked as well. There's no way your hands move the rods. Before you start hold the rods straight out and then move your hands side to side to see if the rods can swing easily and then let them centre straight ahead and start walking slowly and when the rods turn in you have something.
    A neighbour can do it really good as well and can find waterpipes crossing the road for the council.
    Ah it's only a bit of fun but there must be something behind it.

I have to see this 3 egg thing though.:)

but you knew where the pipes were?!

Cheers. Should probably add I'm a Ground/Groundwater Engineer by profession. (and part time farmer)

Precisely. Numerous people use diving to find water flowing in pipes, most of which will be less than 2m depth. Divining for groundwater in bedrock is unrelated.

Sure unless you go drilling in places were the wires didn't cross then you don't know that it works? And who has a spare couple of grand to do this. Why you would place infrastructure and spend money based on two wires crossing.

In most cases you will find water but not in appreciable quantities. Leave the rods at home and spend 5 minutes on the Geological Survey of Ireland Website looking for signs of damp ground, look at the geology and look for shallow rock, faults, and read the Groundwater Body description of the local area. All very informative and factual information to help you place a borehole.

Ask the local well drillers, if they don't know the local geology then find a local driller that does.

but you knew where the pipes were?!

just make sure the rods can swing easily by themselves in your hand.
    There's no way your skin in your closed hand can turn the rods around especially smooth wire and welding rods. Anyway there's no way I can win the argument or do I want to.
    I may go back to the milk price thread and start giving out again.:D

just make sure the rods can swing easily by themselves in your hand.
    There's no way your skin in your closed hand can turn the rods around especially smooth wire and welding rods. Anyway there's no way I can win the argument or do I want to.
    I may go back to the milk price thread and start giving out again.:D

do you believe in ouija boards? serious question btw! i used to be a believer when i was younger and a few of us used a ouija board and i swear to god we would all happily swear til we are blue in the face that none of us moved that glass. we barely had the skin of our fingertips on that glass but it flew around the table with ease!
    but thats been debunked now (and i'm also a non believer of anything paranormal now) basically tiny micromovements move the glass. we do it subconciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

https://youtu.be/_VAasVXtCOI

do you believe in ouija boards? serious question btw! i used to be a believer when i was younger and a few of us used a ouija board and i swear to god we would all happily swear til we are blue in the face that none of us moved that glass. we barely had the skin of our fingertips on that glass but it flew around the table with ease!
    but thats been debunked now (and i'm also a non believer of anything paranormal now) basically tiny micromovements move the glass. we do it subconciously.

As I say not going to win the argument. But no don't believe in any of that stuff.
    But you have to see it. There's digger drivers all over the country able to do it and find water and electricity wires. Just the minute you bring it up you are labelled a crank. The only way anyone can prove it is by bringing someone who is good at it into a different yard and see can they locate underground water pipes using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My father tells me that lads 'divined' a well in the old farmyard here, maybe 50-60 years ago. If it dried up, another well bored free of charge.
    One very dry summer in the 70's it did dry up and a new well dug for free, hasn't dried up yet anyway!

Lots of things can alter groundwater water levels and dry up a well:
    Motorway cuttings in shallow groundwater systems.
    New boreholes abstracting at high capacity.
    Dynamic changes to rainfall recharge by concreting yards and surfaces.
    Silting of boreholes without gravel pack.
    Removal of groundwater discharges.
    Rainfall recharge.
    Tides in coastal areas.
    Loosing rivers and streams that discharge to ground from the river base.
    Increased demand on the aquifer on a whole by drilling more boreholes.

Many more. The driller may not have been at fault for the change in water level. I am just pointing out that there are many variables that can affect groundwater supplies following placement of the borehole.

In a relatively homogeneous poor aquifer, it may not matter where you drilled even if you divined as the end result will be the same at many points on a site.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Your not alone.

I think your understanding this wrong Brian. The metal rods as it was explained to me only work a few feet. The very odd person with the true gift can tell the depth and the strength of flow of the water found with the hazel. I have witnessed it jump.

Advertisement