Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If you are rolling over cattle bay and selling at the same time, yor profit is the net margin between buying and selling. You sell a bullock for 1400 you replace him like for like at 1000 it cost 250 to finish your margin is 150 euro. It is irrespective of the time you keep him. You effeciencys decide your profit.

With sucklers it is a little different often your cost are the same irrespective of final price. This is why they was s serious upsurge in the number od suckler cows over the last 12 months which has improved the price of heifers due to the amount kept for replacements. Also some Dairy farmers find this year not as stressful as the last time milk droped as the strong calf prices and cull cow prices were worth about 2-4 cent/litre compared to the last time when week calf and cull prices took another 2 cent off the milk price.

Over the last 18 months positive sentiment kept an upward surge in prices and a lot of finishers were buying on strong sentiment and reduced their margin will the reverse of this happen as finishers see high ration and finishing costs next winter and reduce the price they are willinh to pay for cattle due to this.

Anyone know of the prices that are being paid for the cattle destined for libya, type of cattle and weight limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Got quoted 4.05/kg today for my bullocks. Tempted but I am still holding out for €4.10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

huey1975 wrote: »
    Got quoted 4.05/kg today for my bullocks. Tempted but I am still holding out for €4.10
    Jeez huey that's up on the €4/kg you were offered last week in a falling market. Have you seen the long term weather forecast? Cattle aren't thriving in this part of the world and lads are offloading what stock they can. How many kilos lwg do they need to cover each 5c drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez huey that's up on the €4/kg you were offered last week in a falling market. Have you seen the long term weather forecast? Cattle aren't thriving in this part of the world and lads are offloading what stock they can. How many kilos lwg do they need to cover each 5c drop?

And if it goe's up 5 cent and they add another 3-4 kg's deadweight :rolleyes:
    Sucessful finishers are not gamblers but people who take calculated risk's, sometime they work out sometimes not.

just do it wrote: »

I don't believe it is a falling market. I think think the factories are taking the piss. I am not that pushed whether I take it or not I nearly see it as a battle of wills at this stage and nobody should ever underestimate how stubborn I can be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I don't believe it is a falling market. I think think the factories are taking the piss. I am not that pushed whether I take it or not I nearly see it as a battle of wills at this stage and nobody should ever underestimate how stubborn I can be.

As long as your not pumping nuts into them then i think your right

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

anyone killing cows at the moment ? what price are you getting or are you holding off for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Was offered 4.10 flat rate for Bulls by Kepak in the south on Friday.
    They still need a bit more finishing, 3wks or so.

49801 wrote: »
    Was offered 4.10 flat rate for Bulls by Kepak in the south on Friday.
    They still need a bit more finishing, 3wks or so.

Just wondering if this was an unsolicited quote whereby they were looking for cattle or was it the usual guff where they imply they are doing you a favour by taking your cattle even though they are flat out and getting loads of cattle?
    Are they good bulls or friesians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Just wondering if this was an unsolicited quote whereby they were looking for cattle or was it the usual guff where they imply they are doing you a favour by taking your cattle even though they are flat out and getting loads of cattle?

I would like to see a breakdown of the kill figures for different parts of the country. Certainly around these parts they are getting plenty of animals. I dropped I a load very early last week 5.30pm as I had to be away to do other work and there were already 5 loads of animals in the lairage. Came back at midnight and the yards were well filled with cattle.there is ample supply of cattle able to be bought at €4 for steers and €4.1 for heifers. Its a price you maybe glad of later in the year

• Advertisement

No we contacted them. They are continentals 20mths ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

quoted 4.00 on the grid for bullocks today - Kepak.

Anyone out there with any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

dryan wrote: »
    quoted 4.00 on the grid for bullocks today - Kepak.

Anyone out there with any updates?

No, but talks of a 'shilling' pull towards the end of the week.

wouldn't expect any change in price for a number of weeks over what has being paid during the last 2 to 3 weeks. Cattle freely able to be bought at current levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

If the weather picks up a bit and ground gets half a chance to dry it should help grass growth and with aftergrass coming into play it should take a bit of pressure out of the system tightening up numbers again , should help prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

tim04750 wrote: »
    If the weather picks up a bit and ground gets half a chance to dry it should help grass growth and with aftergrass coming into play it should take a bit of pressure out of the system tightening up numbers again , should help prices.

If only it was as simple as that. Land is in a bad way.

tim04750 wrote: »
    I hope your right;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Young bulls
    Spoke to two agents today one quoting 4.15 U & 4.05 R ,min fat 2+ the other 4.10 U & 4.00 R ,min fat 2+ both want 'em under 420 kg carcass. Quiet a lot of underfinished cattle being presented.

Got two quotes today as ready to slaughter our 19mth Saler Bulls. They have gotten a ton each of maize meal since mid May

ABP in South 3.90 for Bullocks and 4.05 for the Hiefers waiting on call back this evening for price for the bulls

Dawn in South, Bulls; 3.80 O's, 3.95 R's and 4.05 U's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

are store cattle prices still sliding backwards ?

38 cattle entered in a cattle Mart out west and 37 unsold !?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bodacious wrote: »

What mart was that Bodacious ?

moy83 wrote: »

What mart was that Bodacious ?

Not far from you, Clifden, wasn't there just was talking to a lad that was, 1 runt of a bullock sold, all others brought them home !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I never go there myself , but I hear that there is one buyer that usually makes things dear back there
    He must be on his hols :D

moy83 wrote: »
    I never go there myself , but I hear that there is one buyer that usually makes things dear back there
    He must be on his hols :D

Yep can be a bit of a cartel out there, same usual buyer was there but seemed disinterested and down around pens etc instead of parked at his usual spot ... Prices are back but some fellas still holding out , will be some glut of store cattle in October if people keep holding them and fodder shortages imminent .. Not looking good IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

hi lads was n macroom yesterday at weanling show and sale. the strong bull 450kg to550kg was a good trade but most of the heifers came home .they were worse than sad .nice ch 380kg 500 yoyo .for a finish they were just letting them n and out .saw 6 very nice red lim 198kg sell for 395.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

new ross had a great sale of weanlings yesterday 3 shippers at it,but the same for the heifers they were not interested in them,some very good prices for the bulls.

hi lads was n macroom yesterday at weanling show and sale. the strong bull 450kg to550kg was a good trade but most of the heifers came home .they were worse than sad .nice ch 380kg 500 yoyo .for a finish they were just letting them n and out .saw 6 very nice red lim 198kg sell for 395.
    leg wax wrote: »
    new ross had a great sale of weanlings yesterday 3 shippers at it,but the same for the heifers they were not interested in them,some very good prices for the bulls.
    Time to buy replacement heifers then! What about quality heifers?

I find that hard to believe, and would say its untrue if I didn't see it myself. I have never seen more than 10% of animals go home and never being in a mart where there is only one buyer, any mart I go to has too many buyers:D. As I said all along things are not great and what most mart managers done over June and July has come back to haunt them. Im buying away and good stores are costing around €2 a kilo. Where are all the guys who couldn't get enough of these animals for love or money 3 months ago. they are not all farming in bad land, like sheep they were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

Cam down all
    beef is still v good
    grass cattle were slightly over heated last spring they were not matching factory prices.
    It just hitting level now
    2euro/kg is not bad for seller if you look at fields meal price ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

........what most mart managers done over June and July has come back to haunt them.....
    ???? What did they do??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement