Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 235 €120 in Argos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Having a watch with its own GPS is much better than carrying a phone around on a run. If you don't mind then charge 2 or whatever all the way.

I carry a phone in a pouch to play music anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭ooter

got one earlier for 120 euro, gave the girl at the till my reservation number and all was good, was showing as 180 euro at the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

Any one have any idea if they will open tomorrow? Or is the announcement earlier mean they are shut? The website is down

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sheldon16

They are shut. Got a text from them and email

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Cancelled my reservation as they r shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Cancelled mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Would an Amazfit Bip be any good compared to the Garmin forerunner 235?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

What are you using it for?

It's not a fitness watch, it's a running watch. Never heard of that brand before tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

iggy wrote: »
    Would an Amazfit Bip be any good compared to the Garmin forerunner 235?

Garmin is a running watch for runners.
    Amazfit Bip is for people who want to count how many steps they do in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I had an inkling that the big "close down" was going to happen, so rushed in on Monday to get two of them, because me and the missus had cheap crap fitness watches, that were combined with unfit crap iPhone apps, and didn't record more than 10% of anything pertinent.

Thanks again OP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Casey78 wrote: »
    Garmin is a running watch for runners.
    Amazfit Bip is for people who want to count how many steps they do in a day

I disagree, the Bip is a lot more useful that that. It's got it's own GPS, HR monitor and can track sports including running with reasonable enough accuracy for the majority of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

BIP is a good kit with great battery life....value buy. Wont give u premium feel !

If you're serious about running though, get a garmin. The extras you can pair to it plus the data from the app itself, very handy

anyone else having issues with their argos bought garmin?
    I reckon these are a faulty batch that they let go cheap, been using mine for a couple of weeks now and it's definitely not accurate and when I upload my runs on to garmin connect half of the run doesn't even appear on the map. did loops on one of my runs last week and the map was all over the shop instead of being a perfect continuous circle. any other watch I've ever had always clocked the same loop at pretty much 1km but this watch was clocking less than 1km. did a test with it today, ran 2 miles out on a straight road and then turned back, when I got back to the point I started the watch had only clocked 1.8 miles. did the same out and back again and it was a bit more accurate but it clocked 2 miles further up the road than it did the first time around.
    will definitely be bringing it back when argos opens back up

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

ULMarc wrote: »
    I've had its sibling, the 230, which doesn't have the HRM for 5 years. The battery is still grand. I can't speak for HR accuracy of course. I use a chest strap with mine.

Though the watch is useless for both pool and open water swimming. If you had interest in swimming the cheapest option from Garmin would be the 735xt. Otherwise the 235 is still a fantastic choice.

Getting my second replacement 235 from Garmin. After about 2 years, HR light stays on and kills the battery

ooter wrote: »
    I reckon these are a faulty batch that they let go cheap, been using mine for a couple of weeks now and it's definitely not accurate and when I upload my runs on to garmin connect half of the run doesn't even appear on the map. did loops on one of my runs last week and the map was all over the shop instead of being a perfect continuous circle. any other watch I've ever had always clocked the same loop at pretty much 1km but this watch was clocking less than 1km. did a test with it today, ran 2 miles out on a straight road and then turned back, when I got back to the point I started the watch had only clocked 1.8 miles. did the same out and back again and it was a bit more accurate but it clocked 2 miles further up the road than it did the first time around.

The only issue I've had with mine is that it doesn't like downloaded watch faces, and continually powers on and off, losing data, and changing the time. I've tried three different faces, with the same end result. They were supposed to be compatible but I can't tell if it's some fault in the 235 that makes them incompatible, or if the watch face app itself has a glitch.

I contacted Garmin support to sort out the problem, and I'm still in the middle of back and forth emails. You should stir them up with your problem and see what happens, while you're waiting God knows how long for Argos to open up again.

I haven't tested distances yet, and I'm a walker not a runner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Can you put music on it and does it have Spotify?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

zweton wrote: »
    Can you put music on it and does it have Spotify?

No you cant, the 245 can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

No you cant, the 245 can

Gotcha, ok I guess it's between the 245 and vivoactive 4...

Don't suppose anyone has used both.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭thefa

Have an Apple Watch that I find can overestimate quite a bit. Eg. ran a marathon and it recorded 43.25km which I wouldn’t expect as big an overshoot.

Would you be coming from another brand?

• Advertisement

thefa wrote: »
    Have an Apple Watch that I find can overestimate quite a bit. Eg. ran a marathon and it recorded 43.25km which I wouldn’t expect as big an overshoot.

Would you be coming from another brand?

I have 2 other watches, a cheap xiaomi tracker type thing that I bought before xmas and a polar watch that has served me well for a long time. battery life on the xiaomi is unreal and I had been using that recently but switched to the garmin when I got it. bot the xiaomi and the polar don't record mile or km laps (they tell you the lap in real time but that's it) which is a pain but not the end of the world, the only reason I got the garmin was for the extra data it records.

I see that there are two GPS settings, one with GPS on its own, and one that combines GPS with the Russian developed Glonass, which gives access to more satellites. I suppose this must have more bearing on distance accuracy.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see that there are two GPS settings, one with GPS on its own, and one that combines GPS with the Russian developed Glonass, which gives access to more satellites. I suppose this must have more bearing on distance accuracy.

thanks for that ejmaztec, just noticed that in the settings. i'll switch to that and see if it makes any difference on my next run.

took it out for another whirl today on a 5 mile run, on a straight road, turned back when the watch clocked 2.5 miles and the same stretch of road back down was only clocked as 2.2 miles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

took it out for another whirl today on a 5 mile run, on a straight road, turned back when the watch clocked 2.5 miles and the same stretch of road back down was only clocked as 2.2 miles. :)

Could be a dud. If it keeps up bring it back for a replacement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Lads for people saying you ran longer than a race on your watch, that's a regular occurrence tbh. Races are measured on the racing line, in a marathon you do an awful lot of moving in between people etc so you'd normally run further than the actual distance

Some more GPS "stuff" on this page :D

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=xQvHXbfaT27Zr4hxZDvjv5

"Many of Garmin's outdoor wearable devices offer the choice between Smart Recording or Every Second Recording. This setting refers to the interval at which GPS data is recorded into an activity file."

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some more GPS "stuff" on this page :D

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=xQvHXbfaT27Zr4hxZDvjv5

"Many of Garmin's outdoor wearable devices offer the choice between Smart Recording or Every Second Recording. This setting refers to the interval at which GPS data is recorded into an activity file."

thanks, switched to every second recording, will see how I get on with that.
    Before starting an activity allow the device to GPS soak, this means to wait for an additional two minutes after the device reads GPS ready.
    never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

Anyone looking to get rid of an argos one bought recently get on to me

• Advertisement

some good news, tried it again today on the same road with the new every second recording setting and left the watch GPS "soaking" for an extra few mins before starting the run, clocked 2 miles on the way up and 2 miles on the way back. hopefully it continues to be as accurate as that.

Advertisement