Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I "disappear"?

• 27-05-2021 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

So, I've been using the same username all over the internet for a decade or so, and I googled it recently and found it a bit disturbing how much somebody could find out about me just by googling it.
    A lot of sites and forums allow me to change my username, which is great, but Boards.ie doesn't seem to have that option without paying money.

Usually my next step would be just to delete my threads and/or deactivate my account and open a new one, but it looks like deleting threads literally isn't an option; and after trying to delete my account I got a message telling me that all my content will still remain, and that my password will only get scrambled, or something to that effect.

So, as the title says "How can I disappear?" without paying money to Boards.ie, which is an absolutely bonkers solution, even though it's only 5 quid.
    Being forced to pay to remove your info seems like extortion, even if it's disguised as "subscribing".

Is there any other way to remove myself, or at least change my username to be a bit more anonymous to the world?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

You can subscribe and change your name. It's only 5 euro. Deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There’s nothing you can do about it, this is the reality of the internet, not just boards, anything you put on the internet is there forever. Anything that you “delete” will never truly be deleted anyway.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

You have a few options here.

1) Pay the €5 to subscribe for one month and have a new username of your choice;

2) Go through your posts and send us the links to any posts you have with personally identifying information which we would be happy to edit or delete for you - things like where you live, work, study, real name, email address, phone number, etc;

3) Via an email to datarequests@boards.ie from the email account registered to your username, you can request that your account be closed and anonymised. Your posts will all remain but will be anonymised on a per thread basis so that your posts in one thread cannot be linked to any posts in another thread as being the same poster. If you go with this option you are welcome to open a new account afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

You have a few options here.

1) Pay the €5 to subscribe for one month and have a new username of your choice;

2) Go through your posts and send us the links to any posts you have with personally identifying information which we would be happy to edit or delete for you - things like where you live, work, study, real name, email address, phone number, etc;

3) Via an email to datarequests@boards.ie from the email account registered to your username, you can request that your account be closed and anonymised. Your posts will all remain but will be anonymised on a per thread basis so that your posts in one thread cannot be linked to any posts in another thread as being the same poster. If you go with this option you are welcome to open a new account afterwards.

Yea, this sounds like the perfect option. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He gave us the best 8.6 posts per year of his lyfe.

Goodnight, sweet Prince.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement