Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is not who we are?

Options
  • 07-01-2021 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Why is this scutter comment constantly peddled out by the press worldwide?

Normally what's happening in front of your face is exactly whom you are.

It's like the news reporter hearing " this is normally a quite place" after another murder.When everyone knows,the place the reporter is reporting from is exactly where murders happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"This is not who we are" = "This is not who I would like us to be".

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

Yes, that sounds familiar alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

The mass social housing club.

The mass social housing club.

But in a different way, like, as if everyone was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’m awesome

• Advertisement

The Yanks are belting this out on all the news channels, but to be fair the country is rife for a insurection from some side.

Unfortunately nobody in the US can outgun the federal authority, fortunately!

Mulbert wrote: »
    But in a different way, like, as if everyone was awesome!

Go to bed and get up for work tomorrow. Contribute to society.

Go to bed and get up for work tomorrow. Contribute to society.

If only, what will I contribute to, that would please you sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Was just thinking the exact same thing browsing through twitter and general responses to what's going on at Capitol Hill.

This is EXACTLY who you are. And if not it isn't the deluded fantasy that America is a bastion of greatness and good. Because it's not, at all.

For most, looking in from the outside, just more of the same.

If only.

Once your corona payment gets stopped you will work.

• Advertisement

Why is this scutter comment constantly peddled out by the press worldwide?

Normally what's happening in front of your face is exactly whom you are.

It's like the news reporter hearing " this is normally a quite place" after another murder.When everyone knows,the place the reporter is reporting from is exactly where murders happen.

Quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's propaganda. We have never lived in a time in western society where you hear such platitudes as the OP describes shot at us on a daily basis multiple times per day.

Once your corona payment gets stopped you will work.

You are very presumptuous Charlie. I like that.

AllForIt wrote: »
    It's propaganda. We have never lived in a time in western society where you hear such platitudes as the OP describes shot at us on a daily basis multiple times per day.

Is it the scuttery comment or multiplicity of its platitudes u have a distain for All?

You are very presumptuous Charlie. I like that.
    And your first cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Welcome to the age of denial and political correctness.

Nothing to see here, please move along sir/madam. Thanking you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

its like in sport you often hear the phrase 'not that type of player', usually used to describe something illegal in that particular sport.

if you weren't that type of player, you would not have committed that action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

If it was who we are then it wouldn’t be on the news. For every murderer there are millions of non-murderers.

The news, by its nature, shows exceptional and unusual events, and it’s worth being reminded that most people are actually decent law abiding people, but news reporters don’t turn up outside their house to show them having breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

So America’s not a land of gun obsessed, bible bashing conspiracy theorists?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If you ask anyone such as myself who has been there (doesn't include east coast J1 types, sorry) and travelled through the country NSE&W they will tell you it is full of all kinds.

Including your stereotype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

AutoTuning wrote: »
    So America’s not a land of gun obsessed, bible bashing conspiracy theorists?!

I know a lot of Americans and I've been to the US many times and have come across very few people like that. Clearly there are significant numbers of them, but out of a population of 330 million people you will find all sorts.

Unfortunately an arcane electoral system, republican gerrymandering, and social media and "alternative media" have given these sort of people a disproportionately large say in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

But this *is* a large element of who they are.
    They’re not this exclusively, but this is America and a very real part of it.

You might as well say that being obsessed with pubs and pints isn’t part of what Ireland is.

They’re far far too quick to blame someone else like Russian conspiracies or the Chinese meddling in their elections etc etc but in reality this is home grown. They have a huge problem and they dress it up in exceptionalism, avoiding use of language like “attempted coup” won’t talk about all sorts of issues and get buried in flag waving patriotism.

They won’t solve this problem until they accept they have this problem. They just basically had an attempted coup and they are wringing their hands and barely even tried to stop it!

Trump is *still* in office as a powerful executive president. They could remove him, but they won’t.

They’ll be drowning in emotional, teary eyed Hollywood garbage about the majesty of the peaceful transition of power in few weeks and talking as if the US is the world’s only or most perfect democracy.

There’s the usual stomach churning “the world looks at us as a beacon of hope” line trotted out by every American news anchor be they CNN, ABC or Fox News.

It’s a country that thinks its own farts smell like roses and is so lost In exceptionalism and inability to see itself in a mirror that it’s just walking into almost heading towards full authoritarianism.

It’s a country that can go into police state mode. It has incarceration rates that are absolutely off the scale by any standards of any of its peers. They refuse to recognise the international criminal court, so won’t be held accountable for anything they do in terms of war crimes, they have industrially tortured people in prison camps, see nothing wrong with executing their own citizens.

Beacon of hope?! A successful consumer economy with a flawed democracy and a somewhat Mad Max tendency.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Ah yes, American citizens, holding an insurrection on American soil, at the American capitol building about an American election, held and validated by Americans but..."this is not America"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I am cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Black Swan wrote: »
    I am cliche.

Meeow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I am cliche.

Doesn’t mean we all hate you, most of us dubs accept people from the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I am cliche.

Oi. Who are you calling a culchie?! :pac:

But agreed. There are many decent, upstanding citizens in the US but, even with it's worldwide influence in entertainment and culture, why oh why do the strangest of things happen there?

I say this as someone who wouldn't mind a green card, either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

Quite.

You're better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Haraldkare wrote: »
    You're better than this.

Who are you?!

• Advertisement

FGR wrote: »
    Oi. Who are you calling a culchie?! :pac:

But agreed. There are many decent, upstanding citizens in the US but, even with it's worldwide influence in entertainment and culture, why oh why do the strangest of things happen there?

I say this as someone who wouldn't mind a green card, either :pac:

Because theyre told as children anything is possible and you can do anything if you work hard enough. But we in Boards.ie know that's a load of scutter and we should aim much much lower.

Advertisement