Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

would you say most priests actually believe in god?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Yes I would know gay priests.

At moment I have a local priest (useless) who spends a lot of time seeking kinky sex on a gay app - sometimes shows his pic and sometimes doesn’t. Into leather and all this.

The whole parish knows he’s at it, he seems to be oblivious and thinks people are unaware.

Same guy has a holier than thou attitude.

I have met some v v camp priests (and bishops) also over the years.

How do you know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Frankly bizarre that people seem to think that one of the main reasons people became priests in the past was because they were gay.

It's not that long ago that priests were hunted down in Ireland. Look at poor Oliver Plunkett.

Its not so long ago the church was torturing and burning folk all across europe calling them witches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

cj maxx wrote: »
    They did.! How would they earn a living, place to live and still be accepted into the community .

They could get a job like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Das Reich wrote: »
    How do you know it?

Talk of the parish - the first I heard of it was one night in the pub someone mentioned the priest had attended a funeral neae a notorious dogging location and ppl were saying he might have a late night and laughing. All this talk.

I asked further then I was told that everyone was well aware of his activities.

Downloaded the app and registered as anonymous

Saw his profile on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Twas a way to hide the fact they were gay. Doubt any really believe the rubbish they spout in mass.

often yes but also , it brought great pride to the family where the priest came from , a lot of young boys were pressured into entering a seminary , another segment liked the inherent respect it attained themselves , the priest was far and away the most important figure in every parish , far ahead of the local doctor , school principal or guard.

another segment genuinely did want to become priests , doubt it was more than half of them but sure who knows

• Advertisement

Up until the early 80s it was considered a big thing to have a priest or nun in the family, lots pushed into it,

more like into the mid nineties , i grew up in rural ireland , you would often hear the additional ( he had a brother a priest ) when referring to someone who died etc

There have been priests for nearly 2000 years... Didn't know the discussion was pinned to the last few years

well its not intended to go back more than a hundred and fifty years and probably less i suspect , anything broader and you tend to loose context and no one can remember anyone who themselves remembers

this thread isnt about the mass rock culture of centuries ago

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A bit of a mad thought but something that crossed my mind today. you would assume they all do but id say we would be surprised, I reckon some just see it as a handy number or have another reason for becoming a priest.

I think the majority are actually good people who believe and have faith, its not for me but each to their own i suppose. The church needs to change its stance and allow women to become priests and also allow marraige.

I think the majority are actually good people who believe and have faith, its not for me but each to their own i suppose. The church needs to change its stance and allow women to become priests and also allow marraige.

i dont see how it does , its not a democracy and shouldnt have to bow to the current PC creed of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Join and spend a number of years finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    more like into the mid nineties , i grew up in rural ireland , you would often hear the additional ( he had a brother a priest ) when referring to someone who died etc

**** kinda hit the fan early up here (Donegal), last person I remember training was a civil lad who was a year a head of me at school, mother was a bit of a biblethumper , anyway poor guy did six months and had some sort of moment of clarity and pulled out, don't actually think he ever wanted it,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I remember a few years ago reading about a Church of England vicar saying he didn’t believe there was a “God” as such and that he was more or less doing it as a job to help people. Not a bad truth there to be honest and no real harm I suppose.

However the whole religion thing is a very odd set up to me in this day and age. I find it bizarre that people still bring their kids up in a church that was up to the neck in child abuse for centuries. And it’s not just the abuse aspect, which happens in all walks of life, but the purposeful covering up of that abuse from the highest echelons that was the worst.

I’m sure lots of priests believe in the bible/god but equally a lot were obviously using the church as a stepping stone to their own perversions.

In fact as an earlier poster said, why can’t a priest be a woman or be married? It’s 2020 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Do any of you know actually know any priests?

Or just ignorantly speculating?

I do, and I don't know how they could do it if they don't believe, or never believed.

It's a very tough life. It's ain't just saying Mass for a half hour on a Sunday.

Burials, weddings, confessions, counselling, school boards, visiting the sick and dying, administration of a parish(financial and just plain organisation, communions etc), spiritual direction, dealing with headcases moaning because the priest changed a mass time, multiple masses everyday sometimes over 2 parishes, loneliness (for some, more now because in the past priests didn't live alone), last rites to people splattered on a road at 3am, etc. etc. It goes on and on. Plus a significant proportion of society thinking you might be a pedo, and a vocal minority loathing you.

All for 24k a year.

They wouldn't do it if they didn't believe in God.
    I was starting to wonder was this thread a wind-up by some sick people at a house party or something... A horrible thread it was for a deeply Catholic Irish forum.. Not only do all priests believe in God but most Irish people do also..
    Anyway thanks for this post, I quoted it because it was the only one of all that made any sense up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was starting to wonder was this thread a wind-up by some sick people at a house party or something... A horrible thread it was for a deeply Catholic Irish forum.. Not only do all priests believe in God but most Irish people do also..
    Anyway thanks for this post, I quoted it because it was the only one of all that made any sense up to that.

After hours on boards? I don't think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Over in the Atheism and Agnoticism forum you'll have hardcore Atheists telling us were all Atheists, plagerising Richard Dawkins no doubt...

So according to some overlord's in that Forum, yes all priest's are Atheists...

Because they don't believe in the 33,000 other god's...so monotheism isn't a belief in God unless you're believing in them all...

Fck knows where they get that logic from...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I don't think any adult could really believe in God. Not really, not if they consider it seriously for more than a few seconds.

Priests belong to an organisation that had policies and procedures for protecting members from the consequences of their depravity. There's no way any of them really think there's an omniscient being who will make them face judgement and everlasting torture.

When I see footage of the pomp and ceremony in the Vatican, the gold leaf and velvet and the hideous excess, I often wish Jesus would float down on a sunbeam and ask them what the fluich they think they're doing, faffing about in unimaginable luxury while people die of preventable disease and hunger.

There's simply no way any of them really believe it. It doesn't mean they're all bad people, some of them have bought into it to such an extent that they need to keep pretending, but they know it's all horseapples.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

i dont see how it does , its not a democracy and shouldnt have to bow to the current PC creed of the day

PC creed my you know what! Why should any man have to live his life sexless? Why shouldn't women be as devout as men?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

In college I had a physics lecturer called Dr x. His brother was a famous Dr and it was clear to me that while both were abnormally clever, one was more savvy with money and fame and the other was pure science. Anyhow Doc X was preaching one day and he mentioned the "ether" . I was like " WHAT". I am a lifelong atheist and have a habit of projecting my beliefs on others.
    So doc goes on to explain how there is an ether and while he has a deep understanding of the physical laws he still has a deep and profound belief in the Catholic God.

Blew my mind

I'm still an atheist but i now understand that intelligent educated people can believe in God.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because if it doesn't it's more than likely going to fade into obscurity and vanish.

Society is becoming more and more atheistic with every subsequent generation. Something I do enjoy seeing, so am happy for them to continue being a celebate males only club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I wrote this 18years ago.

The fiend behind the collar

I stand on the altar, to deliver a mass
    I know people's trust just won't last
    Jesus loves you, I do pray
    With God's precious children, I will soon have my way
    I am very sorry lord for the vows I took
    I'm the pervert, thatyou overlooked
    I make them kneel, I can make children bend
    This urge I have I won't pretend
    Forgive me father, I'm about to sin
    To sodomise your children, I'm about to begin

I pray to the lord to set me free
    Then more children I do see
    A priest in God's house a reward for me
    Anal butchery is all I see
    The children scream and start to cry
    God in heaven let me die
    My reward for these disgusting crimes
    A bishops position in the sunshine
    With this mitre and this cape
    More of God's children I get to rape
    Nobody knows the damage I've done
    In the name of the father and his holy son.

Guess if I wrote that in the middle ages. I'd be the number one draw on the auto de fe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because if it doesn't it's more than likely going to fade into obscurity and vanish.

Society is becoming more and more atheistic with every subsequent generation. Something I do enjoy seeing, so am happy for them to continue being a celebate males only club.

Has it occurred to you at all that the reason it has persisted for as long as it has and will continue to do so, is precisely because it portrays itself as a celibate males only club which doesn’t ordain women?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Has it occurred to you at all that the reason it has persisted for as long as it has and will continue to do so, is precisely because it portrays itself as a celibate males only club which doesn’t ordain women?

Nope, it's persisted as long as it has due to mankind's ignorance.

Thankfully with the advent of the internet and the light speed spread of knowledge throughout the world in the last few decades, it's in massive decline - long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Up until the early 80s it was considered a big thing to have a priest or nun in the family, lots pushed into it,

So true. My gran died in the mid 80’s, I used to stay with her during the week when at school. One morning I found her dead in bed. All my aunts thought this was some sort of ‘calling’ and were rattling on to me saying I should consider joining the priesthood after I finished school! What a crock of ****e! It was stupid aul women like that that drove innocent boys into the priesthood against their wishes. I’d say there were/are very few older priests who joined of their own accord and were pushed into it by family members who thought it was something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I did have a Christian Brother religion teacher in secondary school who spent quite a bit of time arguing against the divinity of Jesus, refuting his miracles and stuff like that. Unfortunately most of the class just slept through it, but he had a big impact on me.

Seemingly this guy had been a successful business man, but had a drink problem and lost his business. There may have been a drink related accident of some sort involved too. He joined the Brothers in his 40s, in an attempt (as he saw it) to redeem himself and contribute to society without enriching himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I did have a Christian Brother religion teacher in secondary school who spent quite a bit of time arguing against the divinity of Jesus, refuting his miracles and stuff like that. Unfortunately most of the class just slept through it, but he had a big impact on me.

Seemingly this guy had been a successful business man, but had a drink problem and lost his business. There may have been a drink related accident of some sort involved too. He joined the Brothers in his 40s, in an attempt (as he saw it) to redeem himself and contribute to society without enriching himself.

That sounds more like a cry for help to me. The unfortunate thing is that he probably joined the worlds worst organisation regarding enriching society. Unless abuse of children and vulnerable adults were your thing. Who would let a priest into their home nowadays ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

timthumbni wrote: »
    Who would let a priest into their home nowadays ffs?

As much as I would anyone else? Talk about stereotyping....anyway back on topic.
    Dutch pastor on 'believing in a God that does not exist'

The BBC's religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott talks to Rev Klaas Hendrikse known in Holland as the "atheist pastor".

After writing a book called Believing in a God That Does Not Exist, disciplinary proceedings were taken against him by church authorites.

However he remained in his post as it was felt too many people in the Dutch Protestant Church held similar views.

A study by the Free University of Amsterdam found that one in six clergy in the Dutch Protestant Church were either agnostic or atheist.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-14410482/dutch-pastor-on-believing-in-a-god-that-does-not-exist

I would say most catholic priests do believe in God. There's so much "supernatural" stuff in catholicism compared to the protestants, so really how could you live out priest duties everyday otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Tough question to answer.
    As said before in the thread many of the old stock priests got into it as a way to hide being gay. But today being gay is accepted and accordingly the numbers of new priests is dwindling each year.

Given the fact you devote your life to God you have to figure a lot do genuinely have faith and believe in God. Not all tho.

It's a hard question to answer as am sure a lot of priests question their faith after a while which is natural. Some may no longer believe but be afraid to leave the church as what else can they do? (Easy choice to make when young but hard when you're older), there are those who are rouges who put the collar on and give a sermon but going with hookers and the like. Then of course who fully believe no matter what.

I dunno. It's the type of world where you'd have to be in it to fully understand what goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Kylta wrote: »
    I wrote this 18years ago.

The fiend behind the collar

I stand on the altar, to deliver a mass
    I know people's trust just won't last
    Jesus loves you, I do pray
    With God's precious children, I will soon have my way
    I am very sorry lord for the vows I took
    I'm the pervert, thatyou overlooked
    I make them kneel, I can make children bend
    This urge I have I won't pretend
    Forgive me father, I'm about to sin
    To sodomise your children, I'm about to begin

I pray to the lord to set me free
    Then more children I do see
    A priest in God's house a reward for me
    Anal butchery is all I see
    The children scream and start to cry
    God in heaven let me die
    My reward for these disgusting crimes
    A bishops position in the sunshine
    With this mitre and this cape
    More of God's children I get to rape
    Nobody knows the damage I've done
    In the name of the father and his holy son.

Guess if I wrote that in the middle ages. I'd be the number one draw on the auto de fe

That is very disturbingly good. I've only met two Priests in my life,one here and the other in the US.Both very much believed in God.Can't speak for the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I don't think any adult could really believe in God. Not really, not if they consider it seriously for more than a few seconds.

Priests belong to an organisation that had policies and procedures for protecting members from the consequences of their depravity. There's no way any of them really think there's an omniscient being who will make them face judgement and everlasting torture.

When I see footage of the pomp and ceremony in the Vatican, the gold leaf and velvet and the hideous excess, I often wish Jesus would float down on a sunbeam and ask them what the fluich they think they're doing, faffing about in unimaginable luxury while people die of preventable disease and hunger.

There's simply no way any of them really believe it. It doesn't mean they're all bad people, some of them have bought into it to such an extent that they need to keep pretending, but they know it's all horseapples.

Millions of people, over thousands of years, some of them the capital minds of their day, and today, deeply considered the subject and believe in a God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I don't know the ins and outs of being a priest but from an outside perspective, Id imagine it's far from a handy number as its a total lifestyle, priests have to study for years before being qualified and it's basically a minimum wage job after 5 years of University education.
    Besides saying Mass, doing funerals and weddings theyre called upon night and day to give last rights and deal with grieving families.
    Then theres the sacrifices they have to make, no sex, no partner, no kids. It seems like a very lonely and boring life.

Advertisement