Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holiday at home

Options
  • 10-06-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Christ Hotel prices are ridiculous.. €180 for one night.. Surely there is more value there

Comments

Pitched a tent in my back garden. Travelling light.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

thesultan wrote: »
    Christ Hotel prices are ridiculous.. €180 for one night.. Surely there is more value there

You wouldn’t want to see the places that charge 300+ eur a night.... you might pass out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Just after coming back from a break with the GF....€170 for the two nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

I did a mini staycation last weekend, spent quiet a few euro and no massive value. We are a very tolerant nation to be putting up with Calcutta style outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Holiday at home?! Ehh, helllooooo, don't you mean staycation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Pay the price or stay at home. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Going to Kerry after the son gets his holidays so it’s peak season. We are paying less then that per night for the three of us. Anecdotally I am hearing places around the coast are pretty booked up for summer so that will drive prices up if your booking last minute. If your willing to avoid Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway etc and head somewhere a little off the beaten track you should find better deals or avoid weekends and go midweek.

We did a few extra long weekends last summer in different places and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Any hotel near the coast or beach are crazy money, one of the smaller hotels in a small seaside town in Mayo wanted €250 for a twin room on a Saturday night in June, crazy thing was, they were full most other weekend nights so people are obviously paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

Snotty wrote: »
    Any hotel near the coast or beach are crazy money, one of the smaller hotels in a small seaside town in Mayo wanted €250 for a twin room on a Saturday night in June, crazy thing was, they were full most other weekend nights so people are obviously paying it

I'll give you a twin room in North Belfast for 120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'll give you a twin room in North Belfast for 120.

Wait for the night of 12th July. Be cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wait for the night of 12th July. Be cheap as chips

11th is worse then the 12th mo cara. Our areas become a warzone for those 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Are you the annoying dad in the Aldi ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

11th is worse then the 12th mo cara. Our areas become a warzone for those 2 days.

Are they allowing spectators this year? Can't seem to find any info on tickets...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

FanadMan wrote: »
    Just after coming back from a break with the GF....€170 for the two nights.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

thesultan wrote: »

Did they put you out in the manger?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Tipperary Town is good value for a staycation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

We had a 5 star hotel booked for a few days this week and cancelled. You needed to book all times in the bar/restaurant. Had to book the pool time. Couldn’t get a slot for spa as there was limited availability as they needed to keep slot for people that have a treatment included in their package.

We cancelled. Didn’t seem like good value at 250 a night with a small baby that would not like working to the clock.

I ain’t bothered with hotel stays as long as all the covid bull**** is around. Not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

When's she letting ya back in the house?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

When's she letting ya back in the house?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 Back In Cagie Wagie

Tipperary Town is good value for a staycation.

A hotspot of culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I am currently enjoying a staycation with the family near the Greenway achill. For anyone considering booking, there is bugger all commercial businesses open. We cycled with a 10 year old for 14km to achill island and asked if there was anywhere to go to the loo or a cafe to have a coffee/cake. Nothing open , we were directed to cycle back to our starting point. Zero open it's a joke at the moment. I wouldn't bother until the school's close and I would set expectations low. I am a habitual staycationer but this is beyond a joke. I am booking an away trip for 2022

Cionn wrote: »
    We cycled with a 10 year old for 14km to achill island and asked if there was anywhere to go to the loo or a cafe to have a coffee/cake. Nothing open , we were directed to cycle back to our starting point. Zero open it's a joke at the moment.

That's kind of Achill at the best of times. Nice scenery and beaches, billions of midges, 2 campsites and a Ra pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fils wrote: »
    I did a mini staycation last weekend, spent quiet a few euro and no massive value. We are a very tolerant nation to be putting up with Calcutta style outdoor dining.

If you were in a hotel then it wasn't a staycation but a mini holiday. Staycation to me is staying at home.

As for Calcutta, you've obviously never been there if you think our outdoor dining (which is temporary anyway) conditions are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Currently debating between Dubai, Cancun, Mexico or Greece for September, was going to go to Scotland but bad weather and the midge index was enough to put me off. All of course pending on restrictions and MHQ etc. You couldn't pay me to holiday in Ireland.

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you were in a hotel then it wasn't a staycation but a mini holiday. Staycation to me is staying at home.

Dictionary definition is "A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions."

So I guess both meanings would be commonly used and technically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

As a matter of interest i checked out prices for the first week in July here to fill a few days before we go away on our actual holiday later in the Summer and yeah i think i'll save the money for spending whilst away instead. 2800 euro for a week in a run down cottage in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

TefalBrain wrote: »
    As a matter of interest i checked out prices for the first week in July here to fill a few days before we go away on our actual holiday later in the Summer and yeah i think i'll save the money for spending whilst away instead. 2800 euro for a week in a run down cottage in Connemara.

I just went on airbnb for Galway in July and found loads much cheaper than that
    From €800 -€1200 a week for a cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dictionary definition is "A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions."

So I guess both meanings would be commonly used and technically correct.

Plenty of people for years have been going away in Ireland and it was always called a holiday.

If I go to Kerry or Donegal for a week I would call it holiday not a staycation as I have gone away.

It's an annoying term that has only come up since Covid (like wet pubs) and is even more annoying as nobody in Ireland uses the word "vacation" before anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just went on airbnb for Galway in July and found loads much cheaper than that
    From €800 -€1200 a week for a cottage

Unbelievable. How can they get away with prices like that?

Advertisement