Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do Mean people ever actually spend it ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

unfortunately i suffer from this meanness. i wouldnt feel the most secure in my job. And reckon it could all go belly up. and ive been in the situation going to tesco with less than 2euros to get food for 5 days. i ended up buying packets of 22cent digestive biscuits

ive also noticed this meanness in people from cavan and meath where guys in their 30s are in plush office jobs. i think they are from poor farming backgrounds and know they know what poorness is.

On the otherside of the spectrum, i find Dublin 4 guys in their 20s have not problem spending the cash. they dont know what poverty is and just assume it will always be there. wasnt there a notorious story about a college trip with posh kids from dublin a few years ago. there was a competition to see who could waste the most amount of money. one guy bought 50 jaegermisters in a bar and flushed them down a toilet. one guy bought a brand new iphone top of the range and threw if off a mountain.

unfortunately i suffer from this meanness. i wouldnt feel the most secure in my job. And reckon it could all go belly up. and ive been in the situation going to tesco with less than 2euros to get food for 5 days. i ended up buying packets of 22cent digestive biscuits.............

I'd not read this thread and shoehorn yourself into being mean if you are just trying to provide a safety net for yourself.

Unless you are dodging refuse collection bills by using on street facilities, taking tea bags and toilet roll from the office etc etc etc :)

Nothing wrong with saving much of your disposable income once you've the essentials covered.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know of a couple, married now. both as mean as each other. They are so mean if one of them went up to the bar, they wouldn't buy the other one a drink.

Then you have couples where one is dirt mean but the other is really generous.

were you with your tight ex for long? as soon as I would see meanness in a partner, I would be gone.
    I'm the opposite. Was in an Aldi, shopping with my partner for maybe the first time, when I reached for the coffee. "Better get the good stuff", I groaned to myself, when she stopped me and said "Get this one -- a euro cheaper!" At that moment, I knew she was 'the one'. I nearly proposed in an Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm the opposite. Was in an Aldi, shopping with my partner for maybe the first time, when I reached for the coffee. "Better get the good stuff", I groaned to myself, when she stopped me and said "Get this one -- a euro cheaper!" At that moment, I knew she was 'the one'. I nearly proposed in an Aldi!

They’d have given you free nappies or discount coffee for life! You’d have been up there with Megan Markle and poor prince poverty Harry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

unfortunately i suffer from this meanness. i wouldnt feel the most secure in my job. And reckon it could all go belly up. and ive been in the situation going to tesco with less than 2euros to get food for 5 days. i ended up buying packets of 22cent digestive biscuits

ive also noticed this meanness in people from cavan and meath where guys in their 30s are in plush office jobs. i think they are from poor farming backgrounds and know they know what poorness is.

On the otherside of the spectrum, i find Dublin 4 guys in their 20s have not problem spending the cash. they dont know what poverty is and just assume it will always be there. wasnt there a notorious story about a college trip with posh kids from dublin a few years ago. there was a competition to see who could waste the most amount of money. one guy bought 50 jaegermisters in a bar and flushed them down a toilet. one guy bought a brand new iphone top of the range and threw if off a mountain.

In a way there is something I really like about that. A kind of fcuk you to money. Its only paper when you think about it, or digits on a computer screen. Its not as important as a lot of people think it is.

Did you really have no money when you went to the shop with less than 2 euro? could you have bought yourself proper food to do you for the week?

• Advertisement

If there was a jar of coffee for 3 euro that tasted just ok and a jar of coffee for 4 euro which tasted really nice. which one would you go for?

If there was a jar of coffee for 3 euro that tasted just ok and a jar of coffee for 4 euro which tasted really nice. which one would you go for?
    Any coffee that comes in a jar is a waste anyway, so I'd go for beans. But would I spend an extra euro for a mildly superior product? Rarely. We probably buy 2 bags of coffee a week, that's 100 euro difference. What do you think I am, Rockefeller?

Any coffee that comes in a jar is a waste anyway, so I'd go for beans. But would I spend an extra euro for a mildly superior product? Rarely. We probably buy 2 bags of coffee a week, that's 100 euro difference. What do you think I am, Rockefeller?

if you could only but coffee in jars. 3 euro is meh and 4 euro is really nice. which one?

In a way there is something I really like about that. A kind of fcuk you to money. Its only paper when you think about it, or digits on a computer screen. Its not as important as a lot of people think it is.

Did you really have no money when you went to the shop with less than 2 euro? could you have bought yourself proper food to do you for the week?

Well not really in this case, Just off to the bank of dad for more presumably.

Augeo wrote: »
    Well not really in this case, Just off to the bank of dad for more presumably.

Still its better than the usual stealing drinks in bars and clubs some students like to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Tightwads are usually the way they are because of growing up in a financially challenged household.

They are still incredibly annoying, mind.

Some of them extend into fraud and corruption, a notorious example being George Redmond the former Dublin City Council senior manager who used to bring packed lunches into his many tribunal and court appearances in spite of having a gilt edge pension and easily in a position to afford going for a pub lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Out of interest did you or anyone else ever say anything to him? Extremely frustrating.

I had a go at someone once in work who was so self entitled with resources that it was absolutely shocking. They never spoke to me again socially which didn’t bother me but they stopped. I think I used the phrase selfish and self entitled in my rant. Same person rarely ever did a tap of work - social calls from morning to night - can’t understand how they were entertained. They had a night job in ‘events’ - lots of freebies there that they were never finished talking about. They lost that too because of an issue around pilfered tickets. Some people are brought up wrong.
    (This was a mid 20’s ‘professional’ in the early 2000’s ) Shocking carry on really.

Yes, I did, , in a half joking way “ jaysus Colm, good man, if the party is at yours I hope you don’t expect me to bring the whiskey for that lot...and others mentioned it too but he used to just say .. ‘ look there is loads to go around the fridge is full, which it was but with his pilfering the stock would last 4/5 days as opposed for the week, so you were thirsty on Thursday, you missed out...just annoying as he was a genuinely selfish guy in pretty much all facets of his behaviors...

I remember having a spare anti freeze one winter I threw in the work pool car, disappearing a week later it turned up on his back seat... paper for the photocopier going awol,,, and the aforementioned stationery , him again... “kids to draw on, there is plenty left”... tea, coffee awol too..

Can’t trust cûnts like that

if you could only but coffee in jars. 3 euro is meh and 4 euro is really nice. which one?
    Then kilo for kilo, the cheaper one I suppose. In fairness I haven't seriously thought about it as much as these posts would suggest, but yeah; if the benefit is marginal, go cheaper. Meh is fine.

Then kilo for kilo, the cheaper one I suppose. In fairness I haven't seriously thought about it as much as these posts would suggest, but yeah; if the benefit is marginal, go cheaper. Meh is fine.

The benefit is enjoying a nicer cup of coffee for 1 euro extra. life it too short to settle for plain coffee for the sake of 1 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I fear I may be a mean bastard as I drive a car that's more than ten years old

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Trying to save a euro on a weeks worth of nicer coffee is an illness. Ok, Saving a euro on 1 coffee, maybe, But a jar ? Time to see the man in the White coat and a notebook beckons.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I fear I may be a mean bastard as I drive a car that's more than ten years old

I see your 10 and raise you 3. Runs perfectly, Hoping to keep it until until it gives up.
    Buying a new car is for crazy people :eek: ( bought 2 cars new in my life, Up there with some of the worst financial decisions I ever made)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

no, this was a new level of arrogance. millions around the world with very little. and these dublin college students were taking the pi55.

those times of little money are long gone. my background is from a family that never used a foodbank or a soupkitchen. so when id grown up i didnt know how to get money to feed myself.

no, this was a new level of arrogance. millions around the world with very little. and these dublin college students were taking the pi55.

those times of little money are long gone. my background is from a family that never used a foodbank or a soupkitchen. so when id grown up i didnt know how to get money to feed myself.

I would have donated money to charity if I was part of the group. Still its their money to do what they like with in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I would have donated money to charity if I was part of the group. Still its their money to do what they like with in fairness.

But that isn't wasting it because it would be used for something. The point was to piss it away completely in a horrible way.

I notice a lot of the tightwads in this thread are the same ones who are always giving out about the ones on the dole lol guess that's to be expected. They think it's their money being wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A mate of mine has not worked since 2005. He spends more in a week than I do.

He suffers from ergophobia.

Its easy to spend freely when money is given to you. With a concience I couldnt take money from another man without working for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What's ergophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im just off a conference call.
    One of the lads going on about coffee shops fully opening up.
    Now I hate coffee. Dont care what type or quality it is it all tastes horrible to me.

He says to me "Are you still drinking tea and too tight to buy a decent coffee."

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tallaght_Sale

It did used to annoy me when we had a really nice coffee machine in the canteen served by a barista. Very nice all the trimmings, and was heavily heavily subsidised (around 50c)..........and people would still insist on going to starbucks and pay around 6-7 euro or whatever it cost. Felt a lot of peer pressure for something so useless. I mean can we just go get a pint instead or something?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What's ergophobia?

Ergophobia is a specific phobia. It is characterized by an irrational and excessive fear of work. People with ergophobia experience high levels of anxiety when they have to go to work. Their fear is such that they have to leave early. In severe cases, it prevents them from going to their workplace at all.

Taken from google...

If the miser doesn’t spend it somebody else will.. eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is cheaper and more economical to be mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

InitialG wrote: »
    Ergophobia is a specific phobia. It is characterized by an irrational and excessive fear of work. People with ergophobia experience high levels of anxiety when they have to go to work. Their fear is such that they have to leave early. In severe cases, it prevents them from going to their workplace at all.

Taken from google...

I think I have it. Is there a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It is cheaper and more economical to be mean.

It's also lonlier. But I think some people would rather be tight than have friends they may occasionally need to dip their hands in their pockets for.

• Advertisement

The benefit is enjoying a nicer cup of coffee for 1 euro extra. life it too short to settle for plain coffee for the sake of 1 euro.
    1 euro extra per bag; that's 2 euro extra per week. That's just over 100 euro per year.

If your boss came to you in December and said "pgj2015, we are going to dock 100 euro from your wages and give you these gift tokens instead -- with these tokens, you can buy 20% better coffee...", what would you say?

I'd say "No Thanks, give me my salary instead". People waste money on this impulse BS.

Again, I don't feel particularly strong about this and I also do plenty of impulse purchases myself, but I do not subscribe to this 'it's just a couple of euro' mindset -- not if you're doing it every week, it isn't. It adds up, is all I'm saying.

It's not a bad thing to respect the value of 100 euro. It's your 100 euro, that you earned.

Advertisement