Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emigration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Bite???? get a grip pal.
    I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?

Cant speak for Canada, but wages are definitely lower in NZ than they are in Ireland, and cost of living is much higher in NZ
    Plus, renting here is crazy expensive
    this is your average urban rental rental https://www.realestate.co.nz/4017958/residential/rental/30319-surreycrescentgrey-lynn

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    could you provide a link for that please ?

that surprises me

https://www.jobillico.com/blog/en/the-average-canadian-salary-in-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Exceltrup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    could you provide a link for that please ?

that surprises me

Sure:

https://www.jobillico.com/blog/en/the-average-canadian-salary-in-2020/

Will of course be higher at either coast

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BenDover2020

HBC08 wrote: »
    Were you paying taxes and "saving the day" the last time around?

Yes i was. wby???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

People are complaining that Ireland is too crowded with a population of 5 million. You are recommending places with cities double that.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone claim Ireland is overcrowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,319 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have nothing set in stone. That's kind of the point of this thread... to get ideas.

One thing is sure I'll be part of this new generation that will be on a plane out of this sh1thole as soon as things settle.

Even this early into the thread I think it's clear that you will be worse off if you go to New Zealand.

Even this early into the thread I think it's clear that you will be worse off if you go to New Zealand.

Money wise that is correct but I absolutely love it here in NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

People are complaining that Ireland is too crowded with a population of 5 million. You are recommending places with cities double that.

To the point I was making - stay away from the well worn path of capital cities and well known destinations. There are loads of 3rd/4th tier cities in emerging nations that provide excellent standard of living. With Western wages from remote working or freelancing you can live like a king in these smaller cities so you won’t have to worry about overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes i was. wby???

Because there's fairly strict visa requirements for both Canada and NZ,you're most likely nearing 30 or older than that now.
    It's much harder to get a visa after 30.
    I also get the feeling you'd still be moaning and calling the place a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I wonder is the kiwi and canadian media obsessed with homelessness and housing ?

• Advertisement

Fandymo wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone claim Ireland is overcrowded.

Go to the thread which is about our population reaching 5 million probably later this year. The first response was that it is 2 million too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭PommieBast

So what are everyones plans?
    I'm in the process of moving back to the UK because for all its faults at least over there I am able to get on with my life. UK has basically committed to opening up fully next month, whereas the Ireland is talking about extending lockdown powers until November..

CageWager wrote: »
    To the point I was making - stay away from the well worn path of capital cities and well known destinations. There are loads of 3rd/4th tier cities in emerging nations that provide excellent standard of living. With Western wages from remote working or freelancing you can live like a king in these smaller cities so you won’t have to worry about overcrowding.

It is conditions like that which is attracting so many immigrants into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

CageWager wrote: »

To be honest, I'm in the UK 8 years and it's a great country. Brexit isn't an issue. The cost of living is much lower than Ireland . Outside of London and certain parts of the big cities or wealthy south Eastern counties house prices are good. Its a great place. I come from a FG conservative background and I vote conservative here as does my wife who's European. You can talk about NZ or Oz and they are both good countries. Id move to any English-speaking country really.

PommieBast wrote: »
    I'm in the process of moving back to the UK because for all its faults at least over there I am able to get on with my life. UK has basically committed to opening up fully next month, whereas the Ireland is talking about extending lockdown powers until November..

The UK is a few miles away from where I am. Seems much the same as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

PommieBast wrote: »

And who said the UK are right? maybe we are the smart ones when it comes to covid plans. its not like they dealt with covid so brilliantly.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Because there's fairly strict visa requirements for both Canada and NZ,you're most likely nearing 30 or older than that now.
    It's much harder to get a visa after 30.
    I also get the feeling you'd still be moaning and calling the place a kip.

Good point, once you hit 30 youre not getting into NZ unless you are highly skilled in a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list

op you never explained why you guessed the fact I don't live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bite???? get a grip pal.
    I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?

Tbh if you are willing to write off an entire first world country of 5m people as a "kip", if you are blaming all your problems on the governmeny or officialdom, you wont be any happier abroad

Unless your basis for ireland being a kip is the weather, in which case I wish you the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip

Ireland is one of the 10 best places in the world to live, i tried living abroad and hated it. If you think Ireland is a kip then you dont know what a kip actually is.

• Advertisement

Timmyr wrote: »
    Good point, once you hit 30 youre not getting into NZ unless you are highly skilled in a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list

Without researching it I expect they are the same as us and other developed countries. Young immigrants are needed to do the jobs the locals won't do. An aspect of the last wave of emigration from here was that about 65% of those leaving had jobs here. And with it being a global recession they were going to countries with high unemployment, to compete with the locals for scarce jobs.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the 10 best places in the world to live, i tried living abroad and hated it. If you think Ireland is a kip then you dont know what a kip actually is.

It is amazing really how far we have come. From being such a poor country to one of the best to live in the world with such high standards of living. I will never get my head around Irish people who despise their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭PommieBast

pgj2015 wrote: »
    And who said the UK are right? maybe we are the smart ones when it comes to covid plans. its not like they dealt with covid so brilliantly.
    It is down to the UK's last chance saloon bet on vaccines. If it turns out right I can get on with my life 3-6 months earlier than if I stayed in Dublin. If that bet turns out wrong then pretty much everywhere is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No plans to emigrate at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'm planning to move back to Ireland actually. Housing might be a complete mess, but I can get a nice pint at least. Swings & roundabouts...

I'm planning to move back to Ireland actually. Housing might be a complete mess, but I can get a nice pint at least. Swings & roundabouts...

I think housing is probably much the same everywhere. Big cities very expensive. Other places cheaper.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/longford/houses

Can you? arent pubs closed?

Not taking the piss im genuinely asking

One of the good things about being in NZ during covid is having pubs open and a normal lifestyle

Timmyr wrote: »
    Can you? arent pubs closed?

Not taking the piss im genuinely asking

One of the good things about being in NZ during covid is having pubs open and a normal lifestyle
    I won't be moving tomorrow like, but maybe in the next year.
    I'm in the UK so yeah things are all open here, they will be soon in Ireland soon too.

I think housing is probably much the same everywhere. Big cities very expensive. Other places cheaper.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/longford/houses

Yeah I've no interest in living in a city in Ireland, but the lack of rental properties available is a bit mad. Having said that there does seem to be some decent deals in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Exceltrup wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite! Average house prices are as follows:
    NZ: $800,000
    Canada: $716,000
    Ireland: $407,000 (CAD) $467,000 (NZD)
    716,000? Just googled it. You got that from a Cbc article. Don’t forget Toronto and Vancouver, both horribly expensive, skew the price to the right. Many other nice places in Canada are much cheaper. Have a look here https://www.livingin-canada.com/house-prices-canada.html

Advertisement