Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were the early 90's the last "real" Ireland

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People cared about material goods but in the 90s a middle class family had a big TV, one pc maybe a laptop,
    Now everyone has smartphones , kids grow up using tablets , you can buy almost anything on the Web.
    The 90s were the last generation that grew up as non digital natives,
    Eg we watch TV live, no streaming or TV apps. Now half the staff in every shop are non nationals.
    There's an app for everything,
    In the 90s outside city's most people had bbc itv rte
    a TV aerial on the roof
    Teens grow up now don't know a time when the Internet was not easily accessed by anyone
    A smartphone is more powerful than the pc I had in 92

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

I'm not sure exactly what defines a subculture but Ravers had their own type of music, clothes, hairstlyes, accessories, lifestyle. You could recognize them on the street.

If you think about the subcultures of the 2nd half of 20th century. You had mods, rockers, hippies, punks, teddy boys, new romantics, punks, stoners. ravers, goths, grunge, emos.
    I'm sure Im missing some.

Emos seems to be the last one.

It's definitely disappeared or else isnt recognizable anymore.

Someone said to me on college campuses everyone looks the same now, whereas before you could recognize different "tribes".

As regards the "real Ireland", we're definitely much more cosmopolitan now, we're influenced by many cultures of many countries.

I'm in my 30s and growing up I knew people in Kerry who ate potatoes with every meal.
    Some people ate bacon and cabbage almost every day.
    The only sport they watched was GAA.
    The only wine I saw was "Blue Nun', the only coffee was instant like Nescafe.
    They never travelled outside Ireland.
    Clergy and the Church in general were held in high reference, like they really were God's representative on earth.

Dublins extremely multicultural now, every coffee shop is staffed by Brazilians, Pakistanis, Eastern Europeans etc
    An african taxi driver told me he arrived maybe around 99 or 2000 and if he saw another black guy on the street hed wave at him cos they were so rare.

People didnt care too much about material goods. Fashion wasnt really a thing. I think lots of people lived very simple lives. Lots of bangers on the roads.
    I used to see a guy bringing milk to the creamery on a donkey and cart. Im not kidding.

The cities may have been different but rural Ireland was very insular and parochial.

I think like with everything there was good and bad. Drugs didnt exist outside cities, now theyre in every village in Ireland.

I think people are much more broadminded, educated, well travelled now.

Young people in general now strike me as much more mature these days. Teenagers nowdays can converse about sexism, misogyny, and various other social issues whereas I was just into drinking and smoking hash. Twitter and social medias are great platforms for discussing social issues, obviously they have downsides too.
    Also we have access to much more media. in bed on my phone I can read articles from every country in the world but as a kid we drove to the village to pick up the paper
    Teenagers are the children of the generation which benefitted from free education, cheap travel etc, so its not a surprise theyre more worldy.

I think community and belonging is very important for the wellbeing of society, so maybe we've lost a little bit of that, but in general I think thats one area Ireland is very strong.
    These are important human needs and can be undervalued as their worth isnt quantifiable.

The inflexion point is sometime in the mid to late 90s when all the various forces came into effect at the same time:
    free 3rd level education, strong economy, internet, mobile phones, less emigration, more immigration, influence of church dissipates, cheap travel, satellite tv.

There's another inflexion point in the late 00's where social media and smartphones came at the same time but obvously not as impactful.

Free 3rd level education came in '96, unemployment was 10% in '97, 7% in '98, Nokia 3210 came in '99. Ryanair website launched in 2000. Bank of Ireland launched online banking in '97.
    You could just say a nice even 2000 was the inflexion point. The difference between 1990 and 2000 was humongous. Whereas difference between 2021 and 2000 isnt so big.

but yeah, I agree with the original post, early 90s was last "real Ireland", for better or worse.

Agree with a lot of this but i think the change in the late 00s was far bigger than the mid/late 90s change? I find it hard to believe too that the 90 to 00 change was bigger than 2000 to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

B2021M wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of this but i think the change in the late 00s was far bigger than the mid/late 90s change? I find it hard to believe too that the 90 to 00 change was bigger than 2000 to now?

One big change from 90 to 00 is mobile phones.

https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/05/the-evolution-of-cell-phone-design-between-1983-2009/

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Flinty997 wrote: »

Yes true. Probably two big steps...mobiles in late 90s and internet on mobiles in late 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

B2021M wrote: »

In 1990 lots of people didn't even have landline phones, by 2000 most people had mobiles.

Unemployment was 14/15% in '90, 4% in 2000.

A flight to London was 200 in 1990, equivalent to 450 today.

In 1990 people left school for USA or UK and you wouldn't see them again for years or maybe never again.

Moving statues phenomena was 1985, by 2000 this seemed anachronistic.

Its hard to quantify exactly, but the change from 90 to 00 was just so huge in so many areas.
    Most things we associate with modern Ireland existed in 2000. The big changes since are social media, smartphones, broadband.

A huge amount of non nationals have arrived since 2000 but the trend had already started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Travel was a big one. Cheap travel just opened up the world.

Seemed like every other person was emigrating. You see people today complaining that the lack of housing will force them to emigrate as if its is some disaster. Back then emigrating was considered normal.

If you were traveling you'd bump into people you know all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hmm prohibition was everywhere still https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-1.231015

Playboy wasn't legal in Ireland until 95, exorcist movie until 98.

I'll never forget trying to buy Playboy in Easons in 1995 when I was 17, the oul f*cking bint at the desk refused to sell it to me..

Youngfellas don't know how good they have it nowadays as regards **** material.

or maybe they don't ....

Advertisement