Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Keep negotiating. Bringing in this crowd wasn't the way to do it. The bank haven't a hope of making a sale here. You do realise that?

Why should the bank negotiate indefinitely for their money? Both sides sign contracts at the beginning setting out what happens if the money isnt paid.

What's the point of it at all? Should banks just give whoever rocks up a big bag of cash and say "look, if you fancy paying that back give us a shout, if not we'll send you a letter every now and then begging for it buts thats it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The most exciting thing to happen in Roscommon ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A horrible affair, but I'm not seeing any similarities to a rural based land dispute like the one currently.

You're saying a property won't be sold due to negative publicity.

And you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A horrible affair, but I'm not seeing any similarities to a rural based land dispute like the one currently.

The murder was horrific and the house still sold.

This is just a repo.

pablo128 wrote: »

And you're wrong.

You brought in an entirely unrelated matter in an attempt to claim you're right. The banks actions here have turned it into a bitter dispute. A sale will be a tougher prospect as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The murder was horrific and the house still sold.

This is just a repo.

The land is worthless if it can't be used. No one will work it, rent it, supply it, buy from it, and new owners will be shunned at best, and any crop will be lucky to harvest. I've seen it locally and I'm not as rural as this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just another case of scumbags being scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Why? A plumber or a carpenter can cross the border and do work. People working in security can do the same.

Ok, maybe you’re not aware but a security official within the state of Ireland needs a license(No problem you say he could have one) BUT to get one you need to reside in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hoboo wrote: »
    The land is worthless if it can't be used. No one will work it, rent it, supply it, buy from it, and new owners will be shunned at best, and any crop will be lucky to harvest. I've seen it locally and I'm not as rural as this case.

Itll end up with a situation similar to the plot of The Field won't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Anyone have any insight as to what caused the eviction? How much was owed and was there any effort to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

h2005 wrote: »
    Anyone have any insight as to what caused the eviction? How much was owed and was there any effort to pay?

Don't go asking for actual evidence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I have seen similar, rural communities are tight knit and incidents like this live long in the memory, comparing this case to a city repo is totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Some people here are saying that nothing else could have been done except eviction, given that a debt is unpaid. I don't have the full story - no one here seems to - in regard to what was owed or how the elderly people were refusing to pay etc.

I do think, however, that there had to be some other plan of action available to the bank. Bringing in a security company from the North was never going to be the best idea. The optics and subtext are absolutely terrible.

The owners were elderly brothers and their sister, late 70s I think. If the bank got a lien on the house from the courts while still pursuing negotiations and payment, so that after the deaths of the occupants who owed money the property would revert to the bank, that would seem like a better option in this case. That lien would also apply against any inheritance.

They should have considered other options, especially given that the property will be difficult to sell hereafter - I know this because I live beside one such property which has fallen into ruin over the years. No one will buy such a contested property in very rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

pablo128 wrote: »

And you're wrong.

There was a farm around here which the banks spent years trying to repossess and sell, the owner had the place barricaded, a local farming family put an offer on the place and shortly after had a house fire and yard fire, the barricades are now gone about 2 years and the same owner is still there, the banks had to renegotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

This is a pretty outrageous turn of events. On the videos I have seen there was a a Court Order involved. So you have a scenario where presumably the owner hasn't been paying their mortgage, the Bank takes them to court where they have the chance to defend themselves. The Bank clearly won and the borrower could have appealed but did not. Then the Bank presumably got the Sheriff in to execute the Order which was what was done on Tuesday.

It's standard practise for security personnel to assist the sheriff in removing persons from the property in an eviction. The fact that they were Northern Irish is neither here nor there and it's very likely that there is not an irish security company that would do this work, particulalry given whats happened today.

This is a bunch of scumbags taking the law into their own hands and the only thing that will happen now will be that there are 70 people wanted by the Gardai. What is a bank meant to do where a borrower won't or can't pay their mortgage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

There was a farm around here which the banks spent years trying to repossess and sell, the owner had the place barricaded, a local farming family put an offer on the place and shortly after had a house fire and yard fire, the barricades are now gone about 2 years and the same owner is still there, the banks had to renegotiate.

More likely that the property was sold for a pittance and the original owner still owes the money. If the original owner is now in that property, it's not because they own it, on paper at least. I would be surprised if the Bank is not taking them to court to evict them again and sell the property, if the original borrower owns it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Nermal

I don't care if the ghost of Edward Carson marched down here and personally whipped them out of the place with a sash. We are paying for delinquency and this 'it's my field' nonsense with the highest rates in the Eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Looking at the area...isn't this where the new N5 is going through?

disgrace

hope the vigilante thugs and the political forces behind them see cell time

P_1 wrote: »
    Itll end up with a situation similar to the plot of The Field won't it?

you realise

there was a bad guy in the field

you realise that, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's good to see Loyalist scum get a hammering. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

you realise

there was a bad guy in the field

you realise that, right?

You realise

That nieve simplistic nonsense

That has no relevance to an analogy asking how a situation is likely to play out locally

Makes you look nieve and simple

You realise that right

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Could this be a compulsory purchase order for the new road? On their land or commonage?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It's good to see Loyalist scum get a hammering. Long may it continue.

Hey can you show me where proof of loyalists involved please. I’ve read a lot and am genuinely interested if it’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

loveall wrote: »
    Looking at the area...isn't this where the new N5 is going through?
    loveall wrote: »
    Could this be a compulsory purchase order for the new road? On their land or commonage?

No, the new road will be ca. 5 km to the north. Runs east of Strokestown to just south of Elphin and then turns to head west to Frenchpark. None of the land on that farm is anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think you'll find a few in the angry mob who'll be interested in taking it on and will be happy that things are being stoked up because it will mean that they'll pick it up at a knocked down price.

No doubt their narrative at the time of buying it will be something along the lines of

sure we did all we could and isn't it better a local will get it than some outsider

• Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Three pensioners being evicted by all accounts. It's alleged they killed their dog.
    I believed the 26 who came to evict them described themselves as British.
    A large crowd had formed to prevent them from entering the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

The biggest winner in this will be a political party. And good luck to them. The anti rural shower there now and Shane Ross don't care about what goes on outside the pale.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    You realise

That nieve simplistic nonsense

That has no relevance to an analogy asking how a situation is likely to play out locally

Makes you look nieve and simple

You realise that right

firstly, look, learn to spell the words you use or learn to use other words- as a rule i detest people grammar nitpicking but as another rule if one is to lecture on complexity then let's have some minimum standards

secondly, there's little or nothing complex about the plot and driving factors relevant to this situation as so well set out by the playwright, who well recognised the irish thug sickness caused by a presumed birthright to "the land". seeing as you raised the point it seemed fair to remind you that at heart its a criticism of exactly the type of lawless, morally vacuous defence of greed and self interest you are defending here.

anyone living in or with experience in rural ireland knows very well the mindset of these fellas and knows very well that beatings in the dark is a long-cherished mechanism of theirs

Advertisement