Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I had to google what CTE is! But it definitely crossed my mind when I was in particularly forgetful form. I had a few concussions so it would make you wonder.

Your early retirement may have been a blessing in disguise. :)

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

Do the IRFU, Munster Rugby utilise players such as yourself and Felix to talk to academy squads about the need to be aware of the risk (likelihood) that not everyone has a successful long term career?
    I spoke to an underage team about what I went through with my injuries, that was driven by Fergul O' Callaghan, Head of Age Grade Performance. Being honest, I thought Munster would have used me more having spent 4 years in the academy and gone through a career like that I felt I had something to offer that wasn't strictly rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

Johnny, just wondering, would your body be able to hold up to the rigours of international 7's rugby and is it something you'd be interested in..... far flung exotic locations and all that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Did you play much/any GAA/soccer etc. growing up? If so at what stage did you have to solely focus on rugby

How many meals would you have had to eat a day when a pro (during an average week-day mid-season or whatever) to maintain/gain size and strength?

Any infamously tough pre-season training sessions you had that still make you shudder? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Are there any teams you just didn't like facing, and any grounds you didn't like going to?

If you could change one thing about the Pro14 and champions cup what would it be?

Are there players that you played with before Munster that you thought would make it professionally but didn't ( I don't want names)

Do you want to get into coaching in some way?
    How much time do pros spend with ail teams/underage teams in a coaching capacity? Could should they do more?

How was your relationship with referees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

It’s pretty obvious there are a lot of players using performance enhancing drugs. It’s probably systematic in some clubs.
    Why is it so easy to get away with and why does nobody ever whistleblow?

Johnny, just wondering, would your body be able to hold up to the rigours of international 7's rugby and is it something you'd be interested in..... far flung exotic locations and all that ;)
    Unfortunately not, that would be worse that 15's. Wouldn't mind going as an advisor though! Some of the Instagram pictures are depressing

jr86 wrote: »
    Did you play much/any GAA/soccer etc. growing up? If so at what stage did you have to solely focus on rugby

How many meals would you have had to eat a day when a pro (during an average week-day mid-season or whatever) to maintain/gain size and strength?

Any infamously tough pre-season training sessions you had that still make you shudder? :)
    I probably played soccer mainly until about 14 but stopped when I was about 16. Played football until I went to college, skipped a UCC rugby match for a county final. But that was my last game.

An average pro might eat about 5-6 meals including snacks/shakes. Breakfast, post gym shake/snack, lunch, post training shake with a meal and a dinner, maybe something before bed. As much food as possible for me.

Bryce Cavanagh had a few pre season triumphs. The deck of cards was an all time low!

Connacht was always wet and miserable!

I don't think I'd change the competitions, happy enough with them the way they are. Would you?

Yeah definitely. There are players that make it professionally and you'd be shocked they've been let go. But players peak and fall at different times. Good coaches will see that.

I'm in my second year of coaching with Cork Con.

Players might be asked to help at Munster underage sessions. A few players look to get in to coaching - Keats is with Young Munster and puts a lot of time in for a pro, Billy Holland is doing line out work with Garryowen. But they don't have to be there. They probably could do more but it depends on the person. Do they want to and are they comfortable with their own game at the weekend, would it take away from their own job?

My relationship with referees could get iffy when I was younger - tantrums! Better in my old age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What was your post match routine ???

were you allowd have a few pints or was it an early night and prepare for the next game ???

• Advertisement

shutup wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious there are a lot of players using performance enhancing drugs. It’s probably systematic in some clubs.
    Why is it so easy to get away with and why does nobody ever whistleblow?
    Probably doesn't equate to fact. In my experience I have never seen it. It has to be out there, in a squad of 50 players the chances are that someone has or is using a PED. If you don't see it can you really do much about it? Some people are genetic freaks. Just because I don't look like a second row doesn't mean I can call him out for being on drugs.

I wouldn't be signing someone that has been banned for drugs - something Munster have done!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What was your post match routine ???

were you allowd have a few pints or was it an early night and prepare for the next game ???
    I was one of the boring ones, a takeaway and recover most of the time. Pints would be encouraged at some stages of the season for team bonding purposes. Players are allowed to manage it themselves for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was one of the boring ones, a takeaway and recover most of the time. Pints would be encouraged at some stages of the season for team bonding purposes. Players are allowed to manage it themselves for the most part.

thanks for the answer

GAA have a very strict no drinking policy compared to Rugby but sometimes having a few pints are good for a player

Is there a speed difference in Interpro rugby and International ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Probably doesn't equate to fact. In my experience I have never seen it. It has to be out there, in a squad of 50 players the chances are that someone has or is using a PED. If you don't see it can you really do much about it? Some people are genetic freaks. Just because I don't look like a second row doesn't mean I can call him out for being on drugs.

I wouldn't be signing someone that has been banned for drugs - something Munster have done!

Well in the AIL division 2 there is a bit of PED's in use that I personally know of, so it definitely is happening

PTH2009 wrote: »
    thanks for the answer

GAA have a very strict no drinking policy compared to Rugby but sometimes having a few pints are good for a player

Is there a speed difference in Interpro rugby and International ???
    No worries.

Yeah there's an argument to be made there. I think the GAA is too strict, mentally it doesn't work.

I'd assume so. There'd be a difference between top of the pro14 and bottom, European cup compared to Pro 14 and European Cup to International.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well in the AIL division 2 there is a bit of PED's in use that I personally know of, so it definitely is happening
    Have you blown your whistle? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Have you blown your whistle? :D

Nice pun, but no. Most examples I see of it is the off season, when lads are hitting the gym like mad things.

Can't answer if they are continuing the use into the season, PED's would normally be cycled anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks for doing this! My brother was head hunted for Ulster trials for underage teams and would have loved to progress. Unfortunately, too many concussions meant random blackouts (he's fine) and along with highly unstablised collarbones, it ended his career too before it really begun. Do you think this happens often? Has there been improvements in player washout rates due to injury, in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi Johnny
    Have you heard of expedition adventure racing and have you any intention of joining Richie McCaw and Stefan Terblanche and doing one of the toughest things you'll ever do?!

http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=6220

You don't have to go to New Zealand. That would be amazing but Ireland has it's own AR in August called The Beast ;)

• Another question, I know it's not overly common, but on the occasions when two players really piss each off on the pitch, whereby the either throw a couple of slaps, or have to be kept apart, what is the norm after the match? Do they actively search each other out? Have a laugh about it, and all is forgotten?

Also, I've heard stories of players on the same team throwing slaps during training sessions. Is this a common occurrence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have you seen any players gain quick success with a province or with the national team and turn in to a Prima Donna overnight?

Thanks for doing this! My brother was head hunted for Ulster trials for underage teams and would have loved to progress. Unfortunately, too many concussions meant random blackouts (he's fine) and along with highly unstablised collarbones, it ended his career too before it really begun. Do you think this happens often? Has there been improvements in player washout rates due to injury, in your experience?
    Yeah, there's probably a lot of people that had the brain for it and their body didn't allow it. Or they were unlucky. Teams are getting more organised at a younger age now with S&C and physiotherapists so I would guess that it's better.

Hi Johnny
    Have you heard of expedition adventure racing and have you any intention of joining Richie McCaw and Stefan Terblanche and doing one of the toughest things you'll ever do?!

http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=6220

You don't have to go to New Zealand. That would be amazing but Ireland has it's own AR in August called The Beast ;)
    Hi,

I haven't heard of it but I looked it up and it sounds like hell! I don't think my hamstring would let me do something like that, thankfully.

Another question, I know it's not overly common, but on the occasions when two players really piss each off on the pitch, whereby the either throw a couple of slaps, or have to be kept apart, what is the norm after the match? Do they actively search each other out? Have a laugh about it, and all is forgotten?

Also, I've heard stories of players on the same team throwing slaps during training sessions. Is this a common occurrence?
    I'd say most of the time it's left on the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was common but pre season was normally a good time for it, young fellas trying to make a name for themselves when the more established guys wanted to ease in to the season. Hug and a kiss after training was the usual punishment, not sure if the kissing is still a thing!

Have you seen any players gain quick success with a province or with the national team and turn in to a Prima Donna overnight?
    Darren Sweetnam - loves himself!

• I'd say most of the time it's left on the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was common but pre season was normally a good time for it, young fellas trying to make a name for themselves when the more established guys wanted to ease in to the season. Hug and a kiss after training was the usual punishment, not sure if the kissing is still a thing!

Thanks again. This brings up another couple of question.
    I've seen on the Lion Tour documentaries, that the players court exists.
    Is this a common thing, and can you give some examples of interesting/memorable/funny penalties.
    What happens if someone doesn't take their punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi,

I haven't heard of it but I looked it up and it sounds like hell! I don't think my hamstring would let me do something like that, thankfully.

Ha depends on your idea of hell!! Aw that's a pity. I could have fixed you up with a good team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What kinds of things do you go through with people when developing a meal plan for them?

What kind of "treats" do you recommend (especially for those who want to eat healthy, but have a sweet tooth)?

What was your go-to pre-match meal?

🤪

• Thanks for doing the AMA.

The mods over on the rugby forum specifically requested that I ask this:

Who is better, Sexton or ROG? Feel free to post your reply here or over on on boards rugby!

Best of luck with the nutrition and coaching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Does it bother you when people misspell your name?

Half the people on this thread have put a h in Jonny, and half of the people writing testimonials on your website did too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement