Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blueface phones locked?

• 11-07-2013 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22

we have a reasonably sized blueface account with a number of phones which we bought over the last 2 years from them. We are now setting up another business and using a VOIP service from another supplier, given that we have spare VOIP phones from blueface we assumed we would just be able to repoint them to the new provider, but it now appears that BF remove all admin access from the phones so you cannot do this. Now, I don't really know about the legal side of doing something like this, - we obviously own the hardware! but before I go down that route, is it possible to do a factory reset or something to overide? The factory reset menu option has alo been removed from the phone, its a Panasonic KX-UT113.
    I wouldn't mind but we were happy with the BF experience but their refusal to accomodate us here is pretty much making me decide to close our other account with them, so by being stubborn they are going to lose my account!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I managed to do a factory reset on my blueface phone. It was a panasonic phone (I cant remember the model). As far as I remember it was a bit convoluted, and took me a while to figure it out but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe a firmware upgrade would be possible?

This might help also

http://cr.panasonic.com/assets/16000-16999/ucm_stg_cnt_051151.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 wexpin

They change the admin login details and won't give you the login so you cannot access any config via the webadmin. .. and they also block any firmware updates!

So the only way I can think is to somehow do a hardware reset, becasue I cannot find a way to do it from the phone menus or the normal user web admin - I can't login into the webadmin with the admin user!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Seems like they are determined not to allow you access ..... that would seriously pee me off .....

Those phone can register two SIP accounts I believe .... wonder if there is any way to make use of that .....

..... just musings, sorry .....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I've a panasonic phone from them and this sort of thing has really pissed me off.

One way of doing it is disconnecting the modem from the internet (so it can't pull config file) yet can use the network and then do a factory reset and see what happens. See if that will work, as the config file would be unreachable, that's my guess. Panasonic won't deal with support, its the carriers that do that apparently.

@Marathont: If you remember can you please share how you did it as it would be really appreciated :D

With regard to the legality of this, if you own a mobile phone for example you are 100% legally /edit/ allowed to get it unlocked. So if you own the phone from Blueface and your not in a contract, well then I don't see anything illegal about it.

I had an argument with them about them locking equipment. They'd give the user account details, but not the admin ones. I find them a good company to deal with, in fairness it hasn't gone down in a while (by their standards), but locking down equipment really annoys me. Especially if you want to configure it with say your own pbx and still use them.

The fact that they don't do proper direct debit facilities really bugs me though. Their marketing themselves mostly at business customers, yet don't have proper direct debits :confused:. They've the most complicated DD's in the country, and I've seen some fairly ****ed up DDs in my lifetime!

Over the last few months I've had to chase them back on issues that were their own fault (bugs on their systems etc.), then someone would just "forget" to follow-up with you. VoIP is good technology, justs needs to be taken seriously.

/Sorry for the rant!

(Also did anyone notice that they changed their terms of service without notification. Have a look back of archive.org and see. They have 12 month contracts now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I cant remember fully how I did it, but here is what I do remeber:

The key thing was to disconnect the phone from the internet. Everytime the phone boots it connects to an ftp server and downloads the blueface settings.

I was able to reset to factory defaults or at least reset the administrator password. This may have been done by some combination of key presses on the handset.

I was then able to access the web admin access, In here I disabled the setting to download new settings at boot. I think it was called ftp provisioning or something.

I was then able to put in whatever settings I wanted. I switched to Goldfish and the phone is working grand ever since.

marathont wrote: »
    I cant remember fully how I did it, but here is what I do remeber:

The key thing was to disconnect the phone from the internet. Everytime the phone boots it connects to an ftp server and downloads the blueface settings.

I was able to reset to factory defaults or at least reset the administrator password. This may have been done by some combination of key presses on the handset.

I was then able to access the web admin access, In here I disabled the setting to download new settings at boot. I think it was called ftp provisioning or something.

I was then able to put in whatever settings I wanted. I switched to Goldfish and the phone is working grand ever since.

Thanks- I'll try that later on. Just hope they haven't changed the menus or something so there is no factory default setting!

Thanks Guys, i'll try this later. I had a major rant with them too about it, i didn't sign any contract about leasing phones etc. so I cannot see that they are in anyway entitled to lock down a phone I purchased in full from them, they phones aren't even subsidised in any way like mobiles are. I though they might relent when I threatened to pull my main account but they haven't even bothered answering that. I am moving to goldfish because as well as appearing to be much cheaper, they also seem to be much more transparent. If you compare the costs of having an IVR (which is now a necessity to our business) the cost difference is huge. I have been a very happy customer of blueface for 3 years (although I too find their billing process kinda bizarre) but i'm going to walk away form them now for this stupid carry on.

How did you get on wexpin?

+1 with you re the billing process

On the Panasonic KX-UT113 I have, they seem to have removed the default menu. I found Network Defaults but not Default as per the manual. I tried doing a user and admin password reset using a code from the manual when I have internet turned off but network on, but still not joy, User: admin, Password: adminpass wouldn't work, neither would User: user and blank password.

Anyone recently manage to get this going? Blueface are really getting to me now. It just shows that they have to lock down equipment to keep the customers :eek:

Thanks guys

Hi Mr G,

no I had no look on this either... :-(

Dunno what to do about it, as I have about 5 phones in total from blueface and they are all locked it looks like I've no choice but to stick with them no for the future. What cr&p setup to be honest.

Does anyone know how to call another handset using this phone, i.e. i have 4 lines and on the other phones (which I think offhand are also panansonic) its possible to all the other handsets (without having a call to transfer) but I can't seem to see this option on the KX-UT113

thanks!

• Advertisement

wexpin wrote: »
    Hi Mr G,

no I had no look on this either... :-(

Dunno what to do about it, as I have about 5 phones in total from blueface and they are all locked it looks like I've no choice but to stick with them no for the future. What cr&p setup to be honest.

Does anyone know how to call another handset using this phone, i.e. i have 4 lines and on the other phones (which I think offhand are also panansonic) its possible to all the other handsets (without having a call to transfer) but I can't seem to see this option on the KX-UT113

thanks!

I remember there being an option to do a factory reset, but when I did that a few months ago it pulled the config file back as the internet was still connected to the router,

There might be a short code, I tried one from the admin menu by Settings > # and three numbers, did nothing though :(

You might be able to do a IP to IP call but I doubt it. I know blueface can add internal extensions so 1000 could ring one phone etc etc.

I'm glad its just the one phone I have from them.

I will try and pick Panasonics mind sometime about this and also look through the manual. If anyone gets it unlocked (and worked recently) please post it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Any more news on this, did anyone manage to get them unlocked?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I never actually did this - but I once came across an article about someone trying to factory reset a gramdstream gxp2000. From some of what people are saying above I suspect the same technique might be possible in this scenario.

Firstly as people say when the phone powers on it tries to connect to download a file.
    The technique described in the article i read [sorry I no longer have the link] was to firstly download a factory default version of this file.

Then using a network sniffer, like wireshark, plug in the phone and use the sniffer to determine which ip it is trying to connect.
    Setup a pc running ftp on a small standalone network and hardcode this IP.

Now plug the the phone into this network and it will connect to your PC. By putting the factory default version on the file on this machine you could trick the phone into downloading and installing the factory defaults.

Ok, it's not exactly a step by step guide but perhaps there is enough to help google lead you to asolution or perhaps it reminds those who did manage and have forgotten what they did.

The easiest way is to turn off your internet connection and do a factory reset. It wont be able to download a config file so you should go to the administration web portal for the Panasonic and remove the ftp server and configure etc. Though they removed the factory reset option from the menu I think there is a code to get around it. I might get around to figuring it out someday, but definitely if they pull a config file down every so often and on reboots do try the above.

OK I took the plunge and bought this http://www.adverts.ie/phone-fax/panasonic-kx-tgp500/2576869

I doesnt seem to be originally from Blueface as I have full control over firmware and settings. However Im not sure how to apply the settings.

Im with Net1 and have been using X-lite softphone. The only settings I was provided by Net1 are SIP SERVER, Username and password. There is no authorisation ID.

When I look at the panasonic portal Im not sure what goes where. Can anyone help me?

Here is a screenshot of the menu.

panasonicVOIPmenu.jpg

No worries everyone, I scoured for hours and finally came across a site which helped me guess my way until it worked!

Awesome, now Ive got two handsets that also have an intercom facility which is handy when the OH is in the stables and I want her to come back in and make me a cup of tea!

No worries everyone, I scoured for hours and finally came across a site which helped me guess my way until it worked!

Awesome, now Ive got two handsets that also have an intercom facility which is handy when the OH is in the stables and I want her to come back in and make me a cup of tea!

Glad to hear you got sorted. It may be a good idea to do the following:
    - Set the NTP server to ie.pool.ntp.org and configure the time zones so the exact time is on the phone
    - Put a password on the device to restrict access to the web gui (or alternatively some Panasonic phones allow you to disable the web interface)

Let us know what your setup is in the sticky if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Sorry to dig up an old one, I just did the same and have bought a KX-UT113

I have blueface would you mind sharing your settings obviously obscuring any personal info?

durtybit wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old one, I just did the same and have bought a KX-UT113

I have blueface would you mind sharing your settings obviously obscuring any personal info?

Assuming you got it unlocked/not from Blueface:
    Server: cust.ie.blueface.com
    Username: (username emailed from toolbox)
    Password: (password emailed from toolbox)
    SIP Port: 5060

That would be under Line 1. Make sure it's enabled.

If you're stuck, feel free to post a screenshot.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Assuming you got it unlocked/not from Blueface:
    Server: cust.ie.blueface.com
    Username: (username emailed from toolbox)
    Password: (password emailed from toolbox)
    SIP Port: 5060

That would be under Line 1. Make sure it's enabled.

If you're stuck, feel free to post a screenshot.

I have the settings in and it just sits at "registering" the phone is not locked. I am assuming these devices are Mac filtered on blueface network.

The settings page is identical to above and I have tried loads of combinations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Change your port to 8xxx I was advised to not use 5xxx by goldfish

JohnCleary wrote: »

I think blueface only use 5060 and 5061

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm glad I went with goldfish!!

I'm glad I went with goldfish!!

Because?

Goldfish use 5060 and 8060. Some providers and networks block 5060 so it gets them around that. E.g. Microsoft Lync uses port 5060
    I have the settings in and it just sits at "registering" the phone is not locked. I am assuming these devices are Mac filtered on blueface network.

The settings page is identical to above and I have tried loads of combinations

MAC Addresses may be used to pull settings from the Blueface network on phones they have pre-configured to get from the server. That wouldn't affect your phone from registering though.

Can you take a screenshot of your configuration (blocking out the username and password etc)?

This is true.

Phone Number
    Phone Number 35376*****
    SIP URI cust.ie.blueface.com
    SIP Server
    Registrar Server Address cust.ie.blueface.com
    Registrar Server Port [1-65535]
    Proxy Server Address
    Proxy Server Port [1-65535]
    Presence Server Address
    Presence Server Port [1-65535]
    Outbound Proxy Server
    Outbound Proxy Server Address
    Outbound Proxy Server Port [1-65535]
    SIP Service Domain
    Service Domain cust.ie.blueface.com
    SIP Source Port
    Source Port [1024-49151]
    SIP Authentication
    Authentication ID ***************
    Authentication Password ****************

The rest of the settings are default apart from the port to which I have changed to 5061 in all fields

SIP URI : cust.ie.blueface.com

I think this field may be an issue too, I see on my blueface web account there is a space for this URL to which there is nothing entered in that field.

Phone Number
    Phone Number 35376*****
    SIP URI cust.ie.blueface.com
    SIP Server
    Registrar Server Address cust.ie.blueface.com
    Registrar Server Port [1-65535] 5060
    Proxy Server Address cust.ie.blueface.com
    Proxy Server Port [1-65535] 5060
    Presence Server Address cust.ie.blueface.com
    Presence Server Port [1-65535] 5060
    Outbound Proxy Server
    Outbound Proxy Server Address cust.ie.blueface.com
    Outbound Proxy Server Port [1-65535] 5060
    SIP Service Domain
    Service Domain cust.ie.blueface.com
    SIP Source Port
    Source Port [1024-49151]
    SIP Authentication
    Authentication ID ***************
    Authentication Password ****************

The rest of the settings are default apart from the port to which I have changed to 5061 in all fields

Try the settings as highlighted above.

Try port 5060, though it shouldn't make a difference. AFAIK, Blueface still use 5061.
    SIP URI : cust.ie.blueface.com

I think this field may be an issue too, I see on my blueface web account there is a space for this URL to which there is nothing entered in that field.

Leave SIP URI blank.

Certain I tried the above already, tried again and no luck. From the results I believe proxy server should be blank as when I put anything in that field it stops the "registering" status

VoIP Status
    Line No. Phone Number VoIP Status
    1 35376****** Registering

Thanks for the help BTW

ok I used an open port checker website to see if the outside world can see me on 5060 and 5061 looks like both ports are not communicating

• Advertisement

Ignore the above I don't think that's relevant. I had to reconfigure my soft phone on the iphone so something has changed. Bria softphone on my PC will not connect now either after re configuring.

Can make calls with the iPhone Zoiper so ports are working. I need to call Blueface again in the morning.

Advertisement