Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-01-2020, 17:17   #46
mrtom
Registered User
 
mrtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 526
Failed upgrade:
Model
sony viao pcg-71911m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w 10 error.jpg (764.2 KB, 213 views)
mrtom is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2020, 00:28   #47
somebody_else
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 692
Check if you have enought free space on disk and if disk is ok (bad sectors funny noise when starting etc).

Your screen looks broken so maybe disk have some faults.

Try running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Tom
somebody_else is offline  
03-01-2020, 00:33   #48
BorneTobyWilde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22,967
What happens ones files folders, info, pictures, so on. will that remain after an update?
BorneTobyWilde is offline  
03-01-2020, 01:07   #49
Qwerty?
Registered User
 
Qwerty?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty? View Post
Thanks, was guessing that but wanted to check before going ahead.

Happy Christmas.
All up and running thanks. A great bargain.

It accepted the win 7 key on the new SSD drive on installing windows 10 from scratch.
Qwerty? is offline  
03-01-2020, 14:15   #50
mrtom
Registered User
 
mrtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody_else View Post
Check if you have enought free space on disk and if disk is ok (bad sectors funny noise when starting etc).

Your screen looks broken so maybe disk have some faults.

Try running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Tom
Thanks somebody_else:
Have tried these steps & no issues detected. 30Gb free on C.

"0x8007001f-0x20006
the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation hell.
My research tells me this error related to update issue, in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.
Will proceed with fresh W 10 install.

Can I assume that during this I can choose my C partition to install & preserve my other partitions ?

Last edited by mrtom; 03-01-2020 at 14:31.
mrtom is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2020, 15:57   #51
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtom View Post
Thanks somebody_else:
Have tried these steps & no issues detected. 30Gb free on C.

"0x8007001f-0x20006
the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation hell.
My research tells me this error related to update issue, in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.
Will proceed with fresh W 10 install.

Can I assume that during this I can choose my C partition to install & preserve my other partitions ?
30 gig is very tight.
CoBo55 is offline  
03-01-2020, 17:28   #52
banchang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheez View Post
Just a heads up that support for Windows 7 ends next month so if you have an activated copy then you can still get the Windows 10 upgrade for free (the offer which was supposedly ended a year or so back).

I upgraded my folks computer yesterday following this guide

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-...ree-heres-how/


Save you a hundred euro or so
When I try to run the tool after download, I get :

'There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again.'

I do all that & get the same message when I try to run it.
banchang is offline  
03-01-2020, 18:47   #53
irishgeo
Registered User
 
irishgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by banchang View Post
When I try to run the tool after download, I get :

'There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again.'

I do all that & get the same message when I try to run it.
a few solutions here

https://www.intowindows.com/fix-ther...creation-tool/
irishgeo is offline  
Thanks from:
03-01-2020, 21:44   #54
zinzan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneTobyWilde View Post
What happens ones files folders, info, pictures, so on. will that remain after an update?
If you install as an upgrade it should all still be available - however as with all installs, make sure you've backed up first to reduce chances of data loss and lack of compatibility with the newer version.
zinzan is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2020, 13:19   #55
dingding
Registered User
 
dingding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,740
Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.
dingding is offline  
05-01-2020, 14:17   #56
RickyBobby1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding View Post
Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.
Did you do a backup before the upgrade? Sounds like you didn't
RickyBobby1 is offline  
05-01-2020, 15:50   #57
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding View Post
Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.
Do you still have windows old folder? They could be there.
CoBo55 is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 10:02   #58
branners69
Registered User
 
branners69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,556
Thanks for the reminder OP, I bought a Windows 8 Pro licence a couple of years back from MS for €15.

I have an old Lenovo X230 laptop which I put an additional 4gb of ram, 240gb ssd and a usb 802.11ac adapter into. The total spend was €60!

It is like a new laptop now running Windows 10 Pro!!
branners69 is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 10:09   #59
5star02707
Registered User
 
5star02707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,041
Thanks OP updated mine, tried the first time (keep account) it failed but then tried the second time (clear accounts and files) then it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingding View Post
Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.
Should be under C: drive and in the folder "old window files"
5star02707 is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 10:28   #60
mrcheez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,059
I didn't have much luck until I freed up about 35 GB of space on Drive C:
mrcheez is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet