Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-11-2019, 17:17   #16
Moreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Is the nest doorbell any good? Would I need an electrician to install it?
It's excellent, I have one for quite some time now and am really impressed. When away from the house I have it set to notify if it sees a person whether they ring the bell or not. Visitors are announced over the Google homes in the house and video feed comes up instantly on the home hub where you can talk to the person or give a pre determined reply. I installed myself, just beware that you will probably have to swap out the doorbell module that powers your existing doorbell in the 'fuse box' as the voltage is usually too low, that's what I had to do.
Advertisement
26-11-2019, 17:20   #17
Moreilly

Nest Wi-Fi and Nest point on the way via parcel motel, happy days , thanks OP, oh wait that was me... Thanks me
( these bargains are costing me a fortune!!....)
26-11-2019, 19:51   #18
cloneslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreilly View Post
It's excellent, I have one for quite some time now and am really impressed. When away from the house I have it set to notify if it sees a person whether they ring the bell or not. Visitors are announced over the Google homes in the house and video feed comes up instantly on the home hub where you can talk to the person or give a pre determined reply. I installed myself, just beware that you will probably have to swap out the doorbell module that powers your existing doorbell in the 'fuse box' as the voltage is usually too low, that's what I had to do.
Have you a link to a video / guide on how to swap it out? I've just been living with it notifying me via google home or my phone
27-11-2019, 18:51   #19
McSween

Send a message via MSN to McSween
Ordered at 4 yesterday. No charge to my card yet. Got order email but no status update
27-11-2019, 22:13   #20
Mickeroo
Category Moderator

Harvey Norman seem to be undercutting the Google store by a fiver for the nest minis, €34 a pop: https://www.harveynorman.ie/computin...ini-chalk.html
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2019, 22:43   #21
Dogg Munde

Quote:
How would it work in a housing estate? It's not going to alert if someone walks past on the footpath is it?
27-11-2019, 22:54   #22
Moreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
How would it work in a housing estate? It's not going to alert if someone walks past on the footpath is it?
https://support.google.com/googlenes.../9207697?hl=en
27-11-2019, 23:09   #23
corsav6

Going to buy either the nest mini for €34 or the original Google home for €49 in Harvey Norman. A lot of reviews online saying go with the nest mini as the Google home is 3 years old at this stage and doesn't offer a whole lot more. Anyone here have experience with both that could give a recommendation?
27-11-2019, 23:47   #24
muckwarrior

Just got a nest wifi which is supposedly the same spec as a nest mini. I'd say if you want to listen to music the go for the full size home. The sound quality is a lot better. Otherwise the nest mini should theoretically respond faster with its inbuilt ML chip.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 00:33   #25
Charlie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsav6 View Post
Going to buy either the nest mini for €34 or the original Google home for €49 in Harvey Norman. A lot of reviews online saying go with the nest mini as the Google home is 3 years old at this stage and doesn't offer a whole lot more. Anyone here have experience with both that could give a recommendation?
I'd buy the hub from the UK Google site, it's about 15 quid more expensive but worth it to have the 6" display. It's handy for watching YouTube vids.
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 00:34   #26
Dogg Munde

Quote:
Indeed. Reason I ask is that I've a Hue Outdoor Sensor on the front of the house and you can adjust that too... It still triggers if someone is walking past on the footpath and the sensitivity is set to the minimum
28-11-2019, 05:52   #27
Moreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
Indeed. Reason I ask is that I've a Hue Outdoor Sensor on the front of the house and you can adjust that too... It still triggers if someone is walking past on the footpath and the sensitivity is set to the minimum
the hue outdoor sensor and the nest cameras have a different approach to triggering with motion, the hue uses a pir type sensor ( similar to most normal floodlights ect..) but the nest has no pir - it just looks at the image coming from your camera and will detect motion in areas you have selected only
Thanks from:
28-11-2019, 08:18   #28
ROVER

Google home mini €19 in Dixons Dublin airport.
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 08:43   #29
Rowley Birkin QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie19 View Post
I'd buy the hub from the UK Google site, it's about 15 quid more expensive but worth it to have the 6" display. It's handy for watching YouTube vids.
+1.

I have 2 x Homes and 2 x Minis around the house.

Will be replacing the minis with the homes and the homes with the Nest Hubs. All the functionality, better speaker and the connection to Google Photos is just fantastic.
28-11-2019, 08:51   #30
corsav6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie19 View Post
Wouldn't have use for the screen at this time so I'll go with the speaker only version.
I've reserved both the Google home and the Nest mini with Philips Hue in Argos so between now and tomorrow I'll check reviews.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion