Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2019, 09:14   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
So if all families in rural Ireland keep building one offs on the land surely after a while it will get out of hand?
The whole country would end up looking like the below

The serene unspoiled natural, sustainable landscape that is the wilderness of Donegal.

Not much turf left to dig there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 12:22   #362
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
So what? Most of the county is not a tourist attraction and the only people who see it are the locals.
Oh no, no, no -- you see, we must give up our gardens, and ways of living that have benefitted us for probably thousands of years, and live in small, boxy apartments with almost no communal spaces or gardens (because that's how we build them in Ireland).

We have to do this to provide a view of unused land for the occasional city visitor. Apparently.
(3) thanks from:
15-07-2019, 12:42   #363
Ush1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Oh no, no, no -- you see, we must give up our gardens, and ways of living that have benefitted us for probably thousands of years, and live in small, boxy apartments with almost no communal spaces or gardens (because that's how we build them in Ireland).

We have to do this to provide a view of unused land for the occasional city visitor. Apparently.
- The Bull McCabe
15-07-2019, 12:48   #364
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Are you still using turf?
fraid so, hands up, I'm a user.....
Sounds like an admission to taking drugs
15-07-2019, 12:53   #365
Thelonious Monk

Quote:

I mean, I'm never going to live anywhere in Ireland but Dublin so I don't care that much, but surely you see that this way of living can't go on forever? If every family builds one offs everywhere, what kind of a mess will you end up in? There'll be no room for anything else, including farms!
And this way of living is not benefitting us at all.
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 12:59   #366
knipex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
Ever heard of Maria Bailey?
Ahh FFS. Is that the best you can come up with ??

What has cronyism or fraud got to do with a case of over "self entitlement" combined with a "someone else is always responsible" attitude ??
15-07-2019, 13:09   #367
knipex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctest50 View Post
Hardwood takes ages to grow, not enough trees for everyone

Also an awful waste if it's good, you can build decent stuff from it
Alot of Ash growing in farmyards and around houses in Ireland is useless for furniture, hurleys or pretty much anything else after being felled. It grows from suckers like a weed and has no consistent thread pattern and is full of knots.

There is a good bit of this around where I live and sections are typically cut back in rotation every 5 or 6 years. It grows back just as scraggly but once cut, split (and splitting can be hard work) and seasoned its great firewood.

I know the farmer and he sells me a bit every couple of years..

Lots of pine around, loads of thinning but surprisingly enough harder for someone like me to get. You can buy truck loads of logs or you can buy as much as you want already cut and split (most of which is still way too wet) but not easy to get a few logs to cut yourself.
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2019, 13:16   #368
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
I mean, I'm never going to live anywhere in Ireland but Dublin so I don't care that much, but surely you see that this way of living can't go on forever? If every family builds one offs everywhere, what kind of a mess will you end up in?
Why?

Every family doesn't build one-offs. Most of my brothers and sisters live outside the family farm. Only two have built houses on the farm, one of which is literally across the yard from the old house, anyway. This is the most sustainable way of living, I wish everyone could do it. My mother will never need a nursing home, because she will always have her children and grandchildren around. My nieces and nephews have never needed childcare, they don't know what a montessori is, and my sister has never had to deciude between having a career or staying at home with her kid for this reason.

This is all fairly normal where I live, where one-off housing is reasonably common. And since the population of rural Ireland is shrinking anyway, it stands to reason that the numbers of one-off housing are falling anyway.

One-off housing is a bit of a misnomer, because usually people build close to their family, as described in the above example.

I'm not seeing the issue. And I don't care if passers-by groan and say "what damage to the environment!" while completely ignoring the social and lifestyle benefits that accompany this way of life.

Last edited by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!; 15-07-2019 at 13:20.
15-07-2019, 13:28   #369
Thelonious Monk

https://irishplanningfutures.wordpre.../ruralhousing/

Have a read of this. Obviously you one off lovers will never agree that it's terrible planning and unsustainable but that article lists all the problems associated with it. They're still building one offs all over so nothing is going to change, some of us just want a better planned country is all.
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 13:34   #370
the_pen_turner

One thing I wish they would do is push people who are going to build a one of house on a green field site to buy one if the huge amount of old abandoned houses you see that are an eyesore and serve so purpose just dumped there.
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 14:39   #371
Graces7

Quote:
I mean, I'm never going to live anywhere in Ireland but Dublin so I don't care that much, but surely you see that this way of living can't go on forever? If every family builds one offs everywhere, what kind of a mess will you end up in? There'll be no room for anything else, including farms!
???
15-07-2019, 14:41   #372
Graces7

Quote:
hyperbole ! many huge areas cannot be built on. try the donegal/kerry mountains... mayo bogs and nature reserves...
15-07-2019, 14:44   #373
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
hyperbole ! many huge areas cannot be built on. try the donegal/kerry mountains... mayo bogs and nature reserves...
Donegal is a big sprawled out mess
15-07-2019, 14:45   #374
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
???
Us... you know, society? Citizens?
15-07-2019, 14:47   #375
Graces7

Quote:
Donegal is a big sprawled out mess
Odd that idea; I lived there a decade and that is not true.. Blue Stacks, Glencolumcille area, ...... ardara....malin head...and so on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion