Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 08:43   #76
andekwarhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Led Zeppo View Post
Is it any wonder that people in this country support soccer in the UK.RTE gives a
half-an hour of LOI highlights of our Premier division(excluding the other ten teams in the first division),they rarely show a match as it is,it beggars belief.
To be fair, RTE give it the proportionate amount of coverage its popularly warrants.

LOI people want it in TV to vindicate our league but its special angle of the league is its live aspect. The community and social side of that doesn't come across on TV and all the TV does is suck people that would go to games away from games if its a poor night etc.

In terms of new fans, somebody would be far more likely to start going to games on foot of a live game rather than a poorly filmed TV one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:43   #77
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenmoar View Post
ill still be watching MOTD later but I was at bohs last night so I’ve served my penance! I don’t even support an English team but like the prem and champs league
I'd be the exact same as you. Exact same. I think most people who attend LOI matches do support teams in England too though from conversations I've had. That's beauty of it, you can do both. Our games are on Friday nights and the EPL is on Saturdays and Sundays. You can have it all. Doesn't have to be a choice. I'd love if more people thought of it that way.
09-03-2019, 08:46   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Suppose people following teams in League One, League 2 and the Conference are just kinda eejits then? Why follow anyone outside the top couple of tiers?
The vast majority of those fans would be local. More people started following Sunderland because of the increased Irish connections, but unless there's some connection it's hard to understand why they would.
09-03-2019, 08:46   #79
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
I'd be the exact same as you. Exact same. I think most people who attend LOI matches do support teams in England too though from conversations I've had. That's beauty of it, you can do both. Our games are on Friday nights and the EPL is on Saturdays and Sundays. You can have it all. Doesn't have to be a choice. I'd love if more people thought of it that way.
Are you bohs?
09-03-2019, 08:49   #80
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by andekwarhola View Post
To be fair, RTE give it the proportionate amount of coverage its popularly warrants.

LOI people want it in TV to vindicate our league but its special angle of the league is its live aspect. The community and social side of that doesn't come across on TV and all the TV does is suck people that would go to games away from games if its a poor night etc.

In terms of new fans, somebody would be far more likely to start going to games on foot of a live game rather than a poorly filmed TV one.
I'd agree with this for the most part. Disappointing that there's a 6 week wait between televised games though. Bohs vs Rovers a few weeks ago was sold out so wouldn't have effected attendance, was on a Monday night and RTE showed re-runs of some show called Young Sheldon. Things like that would annoy you.

Another thing I've noticed is that there's plenty of foreign fans coming to games lately. A mixture of stags, football tourists and people that live here now. The LOI's grit or simpleness is really a part of its selling point I think. It's a throwback to a product you can't get at the elite levels in Europe. A warts and all type of deal. It's not sanitised to bits. I think that draws a lot of people. The Dublin Derby was sold out 3 weeks before a ball was kicked, that's got appeal beyond this country nowadays and it's a bit surreal because there's people in Phibsboro or Tallaght who wouldn't even know it's on. It's all mad.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:52   #81
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
The vast majority of those fans would be local.
Which is pretty much the case everywhere in the world. Centuries of history usually at play. A Sheffield United fan from Sheffield seeing his team winning the FA Cup would mean more to him than it would to someone from Carlow watching United winning the league on telly.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:53   #82
Edenmoar
Banned

We have German, Brazilian and polish Bohs that I know of that are regularly at games. And of course the Gaybohs, love that crest!
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:53   #83
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenmoar View Post
Are you bohs?
Yeah, was there last night too. Did you not see me? I was the other fella.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:54   #84
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, was there last night too. Did you not see me? I was the other fella.
You’re alright then, **secret handshake**
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:59   #85

Quote:
The LOI's grit ... is really a part of its selling point I think.
My "home team" would be Cork, but the closest LOI stadium to where I live is Limerick. I've threatened to go there many times, but facilities there are pretty basic. Although Anfield road is no suburban dream either and it hasn't stopped me going there (back over with friends for the spurs match).

Another thing that stops me getting involved is the sheer amateur management of it. How could you get too involved with, say, Cork when they are a season or two away from imploding.

Last edited by Avatar MIA; 09-03-2019 at 09:04.
09-03-2019, 08:59   #86
Ardillaun

Quote:
Who wants to tell him...
I never queried Georgie's religion as a kid and it didn't arise in the stuff I saw on TV. Much later I discovered he tended to hang out with the Free Staters on the team. From first to last, I always saw him as one of our own despite the misfortune of his original sin.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 09-03-2019 at 09:14.
09-03-2019, 09:02   #87
andekwarhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post
The Welsh have it worse then us.

They have clubs playing in the English Premier League
We nearly did, thanks to arseholes like Dunphy.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 09:06   #88
Pherekydes

Quote:
Ah that old chestnut. Gas how it's never Luton Town or Birmingham City even though the Irish flooded those places.
My father was a Preston fan because that's where he was based during the war.
09-03-2019, 09:07   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedragon View Post
Who are they?
Exackkkly
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 09:15   #90
pawdee

I support Melchester Rovers because my dad played for them back in the 70s.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion