Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 12:54   #211
ozzy jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Yeltsin View Post

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies. Kids today wouldn't believe that until 18 or so years ago very few people outside of South east Dublin and Limerick cared for the rugby side.
This is it. Irish people are event junkies. They don't want to go to a game every week. They'll do a few games a year and think they're great. Some will even do a few games in more than one sport and think they're some sort of super fan.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 12:54   #212
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
Article over 5 years old and states:

"anecdotal evidence that, historically speaking, the city’s Catholics were more inclined to become “Blues” "

Hardly proof that it is a Catholic club today. It even says historically speaking. If you think today's fans head to Gooddison after mass with the Eucharist in their belly I don't think you do understand the reality of the club as it is today. You see much more diversity now
09-03-2019, 12:55   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
That was mocking you (I assumed clearly). Do keep up mo chara
Fail! Backtracking with your tail between your legs.
09-03-2019, 12:55   #214
Dravokivich

Quote:
Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs. Tens of thousands through the gates at eternal non achievers in the London area (Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Brentford, Leyton, Southend, Charlton Athletic, Luton, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, QPR, Fulham) when the easy option would be to fob these off in favour of Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Arsenal.

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies. Kids today wouldn't believe that until 18 or so years ago very few people outside of South east Dublin and Limerick cared for the rugby side.
So what if the popularity of rugby has grown over the last 18 years. It's only been professional for a little over 20 and the irfu is in a much better position to invest in it, than the FAI are, to invest in soccer. But you are comparing 2 different things. Even in rugby the domestic leagues such as AIL, can have issues with attendances. Top tier rugby here and top tier soccer here are miles apart to such an extent that there is no top tier soccer, than can compete to a high level outside of itself.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 12:56   #215
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .
More exposure to English teams. No LOI teams near where I'm from so no exposure to them and no connection.

Only football I saw was Irish matches and English football on ITV so you'd pick a team and follow then in your formative years.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 12:57   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Veedersane View Post
More exposure to English teams. No LOI teams near where I'm from so no exposure to them and no connection.

Only football I saw was Irish matches and English football on ITV so you'd pick a team and follow then in your formative years.
There's an excuse when you're a child. Grown adults? It's sad.
09-03-2019, 12:57   #217
Arthur Daley

Quote:
Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs.
But apparently these are still better than the top teams in the League of Ireland. Rochdale play in League One, so the top League of Ireland teams could not live with them we are told. Bury and Oldham were bottom of league one last year, so still probably too good for the League of Ireland, in case anyone gets any ideas here.

They never play each other on a competitive basis, so we will never know for certain will we.

But in this footballing backwater, where even the top clubs can have no realistic sense of competing with League One clubs, people still moan that the national team can't make it to pretty much every tournament. As soon as a manager is in a few months, some cannot wait to get him out. Either because this footballing backwater isn't playing at major championships, or because the football isn't beautiful enough, or most likely a mixture of both. Something doesn't add up about that story.
09-03-2019, 13:00   #218
Church on Tuesday

Because there's no even semi pro footbal club near me in Mayo that I can support, hence why I support Arsenal.

I could support Sligo Rovers at a stretch but I'm not from there either.

It's grand having loads of LoI clubs in Dublin but for the rest of the country club intensity is pretty sparse.

Last edited by Church on Tuesday; 09-03-2019 at 13:09.
09-03-2019, 13:00   #219
tayto lover

Went to work in London after my Leaving Cert exams.
Lived around the corner from Highbury stadium and started going to Arsenal matches. Great year to start following the club, 1971 the first double year. Went to all home games and many away too.
Returned to live in Dundalk years later and have been attending Dundalk games since. I also go to Gaelic games and even went to one Rugby match, Ireland v England. I enjoy all sports except Cricket.
I often refer to Arsenal and Dundalk as “us” or “we”. No apologies either as I feel a part of both clubs. They are also a part of me.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 13:00   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
No, it's barely a sport when you look at the actual skills involved.
The pay is quite decent for the elite level, you should go to your province team and tell them you've decided to tog out for them. That you've seen games on tv and would like to show where they can improve.

And yet in the next sentence you infer the rules are difficult
09-03-2019, 13:02   #221
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
If you've spent 10+ years watching an English team you're supposed to just stop and follow an Irish team when you become a 'grown adult'?

Why?

And why is it sad to follow and English team instead of an Irish one?
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 13:02   #222

Quote:
Fail! Backtracking with your tail between your legs.
Okay, when I mock you in future I'll try to be more obvious
09-03-2019, 13:02   #223
8-10

Quote:
Makes people happy though at the same time. I think it's good to have passions.
09-03-2019, 13:03   #224
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kelly View Post
Loads of people support counties different to the counties they are from. Go to a Galway Hurling match, let it be an inter-county match or the Galway county final and you'll see people there from Roscommon, leitrim, Mayo, Sligo etc. Some of them are well known to hardly ever miss a match and could teach some local lads a thing or two about Galway hurling in the days gone by. Same story around the country. You're talking out of your arse.
And they'd support them over their own county would they? I'm not on about going along to a cup final and lending support. Straight up supporting a county you've nothing to do with over your own one? Have to say I've never heard of that myself so maybe it's you talking out of your hoop...
09-03-2019, 13:04   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
The pay is quite decent for the elite level, you should go to your province team and tell them you've decided to tog out for them. That you've seen games on tv and would like to show where they can improve.

And yet in the next sentence you infer the rules are difficult
I never mentioned the rules being difficult, what hole did you pull that out of? I said most of the daytrippers (and rugby is the biggest array of these) neither know nor care what's going on. So long as they get the selfie.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion