Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-06-2019, 22:58   #1891
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25,826
The Scouse not English thing isn't hypocrisy. It's a cultural identity thing with shades of North vs South, establishment vs anti-establishment and class divisions.

Hating all English sporting teams while simultaneously claiming their teams as ''ours'' is absolute hypocrisy or, at least, irony.
Omackeral is offline  
Advertisement
30-06-2019, 23:02   #1892
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post

Hating all English sporting teams while simultaneously claiming their teams as ''ours'' is absolute hypocrisy or, at least, irony.
Agreed. I don't hate them myself but I get your point and there is definite hypocrisy from a large portion of the fanbase

I was using Liverpool as an example. Nigeria, Australia and India would be other obvious ones that I've seen Liverpool fans from. The latter 2 moreso with the cricket rivalries but they do have plenty of fans of English soccer teams

Are the Irish the most hypocritical? As I say, probably yeah. But I definitely don't think we're completely unique.
8-10 is offline  
30-06-2019, 23:07   #1893
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25,826
It would be like an Indian fella hating Pakistan but claiming the Pakistani a team one as his own. Same idea.
Omackeral is offline  
30-06-2019, 23:12   #1894
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
It would be like an Indian fella hating Pakistan but claiming the Pakistani a team one as his own. Same idea.
Yep, not as extreme but same idea for sure.

Definite hypocrisy so I completely understand why it's difficult for some people to understand. I just don't get why they care so much?

I also support the Red Sox and not my local Baseball Ireland team. And I know Irish fans of NBA, NFL, cricket and rugby league teams that are not Irish teams despite the local options.

The strange thing is that this only seems to uniquely matter with soccer and not these other sports right? Or do I just miss the outrage on those?
8-10 is offline  
01-07-2019, 00:27   #1895
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeffo2005 View Post
so this nonsense about connections to a foreign team is a joke
People who say things like this need to broaden there mind and realise it's an outdated way of thinking.

What matters is the emotional connection a fan feels. If a fan gets the chance to watch his local team when hes young an emotional connection will likely develop but you cant force this connection, if a fan doesnt feel it you cant force him to feel it. You can't tell someone they have to support a local team, you can certainly tell people they should watch there local team play but you cant force them to love a club, the real world doesn't work that way.

I follow an EPL team because I have 100's of great memories tied to my club, some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.
Greyfox is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2019, 00:33   #1896
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
You'll have to concede that we're unique in that we claim to hate the Brits and the English in every other sporting context while simultaneously calling British teams ''us'' and our own.
Yes there's a lot of EPL fans who hate the Brits and they are idiots although when England win the media always go overboard which is a bit irritating when your not English
Greyfox is offline  
01-07-2019, 10:38   #1897
Pedro K
Registered User
 
Pedro K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
People who say things like this need to broaden there mind and realise it's an outdated way of thinking.

What matters is the emotional connection a fan feels. If a fan gets the chance to watch his local team when hes young an emotional connection will likely develop but you cant force this connection, if a fan doesnt feel it you cant force him to feel it. You can't tell someone they have to support a local team, you can certainly tell people they should watch there local team play but you cant force them to love a club, the real world doesn't work that way.

I follow an EPL team because I have 100's of great memories tied to my club, some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.
Can you please explain what you meant when you said PL teams' histories are superior to LOI teams' histories? You mentioned success in the same post a few pages back, so if history doesn't refer to success, what do you mean?
Pedro K is offline  
Thanks from:
01-07-2019, 12:48   #1898
SHOVELLER
Registered User
 
SHOVELLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.
Remarkable coming from a Dundalk fan really. And we never murdered anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match
Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging
SHOVELLER is offline  
01-07-2019, 14:21   #1899
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging
What does football culture mean to you?
8-10 is offline  
Advertisement
01-07-2019, 15:48   #1900
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Remarkable coming from a Dundalk fan really. And we never murdered anybody.



Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging
If you ask 1000 League of Ireland fans who Irelands Shame are, Most will say Rovers (FACT)
dundalkfc10 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-07-2019, 15:49   #1901
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
If you ask 1000 League of Ireland fans who Irelands Shame are, Most will say Rovers (FACT)
I think most would say the FAI
8-10 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
01-07-2019, 17:27   #1902
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging
I did say the word maybe and there's nothing ignorant about what I said, Im just able to see the bigger picture, your perspective of disliking the EPL makes it hard for you to see things from an EPL fans perspective. I hate to break it to you but the Irish league needs more EPL fans like me to go to more Irish league matches.

As someone who has been to live matches I understand that cheering on your team live is more involving and enjoying a live match makes you want to go to another live match. I've enjoyed banter in a pub after St pats matches before and I will go to a live Airtricity match again in the future

I asked a Tallaght man before why he didnt go to a Rovers game when he follows the EPL and he said he'd feel werid as he didnt know any players and wouldnt understand any of the chants so wouldnt know what's going on.. now in this situation its better to explain that you dont need to know this info as its best to pick it up as you go along rather then just looking down on the EPL fan for not knowing better
Greyfox is offline  
01-07-2019, 18:55   #1903
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same. Don't confuse, deliberately or otherwise peoples dismay at you being able to have a connection with a club in a different country but not with a club down the road with saying cut off all contact with the EPL because that's not what they're saying.

And people who say they don't go to games because they don't know the players are lying definitely to you and potentially to themselves because that's just a load of **** to make them not seem as bad because they can't come up with a legitimate reason not to go other than they've been brainwashed by the supurb EPL and champions league marketing to think all other football isn't worth it.
D14Rugby is offline  
(3) thanks from:
01-07-2019, 19:56   #1904
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same.
With myself anyway it's laziness but I'm going to go to an Airtricity league game soon.
Greyfox is offline  
Thanks from:
01-07-2019, 23:26   #1905
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same. Don't confuse, deliberately or otherwise peoples dismay at you being able to have a connection with a club in a different country but not with a club down the road with saying cut off all contact with the EPL because that's not what they're saying.

And people who say they don't go to games because they don't know the players are lying definitely to you and potentially to themselves because that's just a load of **** to make them not seem as bad because they can't come up with a legitimate reason not to go other than they've been brainwashed by the supurb EPL and champions league marketing to think all other football isn't worth it.
Many of us do go to both and have said so multiple times on this thread. Doesn't mean we consider ourselves a fan of a team here just that we enjoy going to see live football locally. But it's no replacement for your actual team and as I've said I'll watch my team on tv 100 times out of 100 over a local team live. Luckily it never really clashes anyway.
8-10 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet