Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

She puts up photos on Instagram, and when she doesn't get fishing for compliments, she goes off on one. Started giving out to someone about the 'male gaze' in one comment.

She also managed to take the whole Berlin club scandal (The one where they ignored social distancing) and spin it into a thing about direct provision. When the three counties went into lockdown, she also managed to wrangle direct provision into that-comparing to the the Magdalene Laundries.

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/1294971634005278721?s=20

God, no wonder she was fired.
    Had no problem with her until I read that post.
    Muireann O'Connell is a horrible, despicable person.
    Comparing the atrocities and deprivation of the Magdalene Laundries victims to Direct Provision is appalling. The women and children of the laundries could only dream of living in Irish Direct Provision centers with all its ancillary services provided to the residents. Irish workers are paying billions to house and provide services to the residents of Direct Provision centers, so it's a kick in the teeth to tax payers in Ireland too.
    Muireann O'Connell should crawl back into her hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She puts up photos on Instagram, and when she doesn't get fishing for compliments, she goes off on one. Started giving out to someone about the 'male gaze' in one comment.

She also managed to take the whole Berlin club scandal (The one where they ignored social distancing) and spin it into a thing about direct provision. When the three counties went into lockdown, she also managed to wrangle direct provision into that-comparing to the the Magdalene Laundries.

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/1294971634005278721?s=20

God, no wonder she was fired.

I quite like Muireann but her politics are awful and posts like that tweet make
    me wince.

How do they know its 60M uncollected?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

denartha wrote: »

10% - 15% of households only around €50m at the upper end. This includes those who don’t pay & those without a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

denartha wrote: »

tvtaxpayers.png

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

tvtaxpayers.png

I am sure they have a spreadsheet. I am sure they all have the ECDL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was watching the end of the Dundalk game tonight on RTE, and heard the presenter tell us about coverage of upcoming GAA club games they had.

A load of teams I had never heard of, local level stuff.

Why are GAA club games getting such coverage? OK I know they cover club finals, but are these finals or county level games?

As a soccer fan, they barely cover the LoI, yet we are watching this level of GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ligerdub wrote: »
    I quite like Muireann but her politics are awful and posts like that tweet make
    me wince.

Ignores how, once again, we crapped on the elderly in nursing homes.
    Took their money, let them die.

I see Claire Byrne has gotten(another) new gig. Sarah McInerney got pushed out of the gig, despite her allegedly (I don't listen to the radio) being very good in the job.

Now Sarah will be getting a new job... but I don't understand why Byrne was seen as the 'hot prospect' for the job. Why not just leave McInerney there. All Byrne will do is reduce the show to a Dailymail like radio show-dipping her toe in multiple topics (while constantly mentioning how she survived Covid... or discussing Covid, or '21 ways your hand sanitizer might be trying to kill you and replace you with a clone who spreads Covid. Some of her pieces on the show were outlandish and stupid scaremongering).

Re:GAA I think it’s due to the coverage initially by TG4 & later by Setanta/eir, I think RTÉ have a deal with eir.

Re: Claire Byrne it’s what I call the Tubs conundrum. Your paying a presenter over the level of audience they achieve so you put them into a slot that will garner an audience. knowing that it’s the programme/station that gets the audience not the presenter, though they do help however because your paying them so much the only thing to do is highlight them on a show that is guaranteed an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was watching the end of the Dundalk game tonight on RTE, and heard the presenter tell us about coverage of upcoming GAA club games they had.

A load of teams I had never heard of, local level stuff.

Why are GAA club games getting such coverage? OK I know they cover club finals, but are these finals or county level games?

As a soccer fan, they barely cover the LoI, yet we are watching this level of GAA?

Because the head of sport that took over from Ryle Nugent is a massive GAA man. Has cut coverage of other sports but thinks it's appropriate to show some club matches every weekend instead. It's a joke.

• Advertisement

Because the head of sport that took over from Rule Nugent is a massive GAA man. Has cut coverage of other sports but thinks it's appropriate to show some club matches every weekend instead. It's a joke.

Ryle Nugent was heralded as a Rugby guy. Banked heavy on securing the rights to Rugby tournaments, Six nations etc etc
    Then he lost those, having lost the rights to the football, and I believe substantial coverage of horse racing.

Once he lost the rugby, he was pretty much fired.

Since then, RTE's sports coverage is abysmal. Couple that with many high profile sports pundits leaving, and some individuals who are rather crap at the job now covering sports (Darragh Moloney is no Bill O'Herlihy, Joanne Cantwell is no Michael Lyster, for one thing. Lyster and O'Herlihy could wrangle a memorable quote out of the likes of Giles, Brady Dunphy, Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly. Moloney and Cantwell would go to HR and get them fired instead).

God damn shame what passes for sports coverage nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ryle Nugent was heralded as a Rugby guy. Banked heavy on securing the rights to Rugby tournaments, Six nations etc etc
    Then he lost those, having lost the rights to the football, and I believe substantial coverage of horse racing.

Once he lost the rugby, he was pretty much fired.

Since then, RTE's sports coverage is abysmal. Couple that with many high profile sports pundits leaving, and some individuals who are rather crap at the job now covering sports (Darragh Moloney is no Bill O'Herlihy, Joanne Cantwell is no Michael Lyster, for one thing. Lyster and O'Herlihy could wrangle a memorable quote out of the likes of Giles, Brady Dunphy, Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly. Moloney and Cantwell would go to HR and get them fired instead).

God damn shame what passes for sports coverage nowadays.

Ryle certainly was a Rugby guy, but he also gave plenty of coverage to the other sports. McCarthy seems intent on making GAA the only sports covered by RTE.

Ryle certainly was a Rugby guy, but he also gave plenty of coverage to the other sports. McCarthy seems intent on making GAA the only sports covered by RTE.

McBenet I think is his name. I can't see Virgin Media holding on to Six Nations. Look at how they overlooked the last RWC, mainly due to the hours but lets face it the numbers for the Irish games and finals weren't that different to 2015 AFAIK.

TV3 grabbed sports when the lost the ITV Soaps, along with the former head of RTÉ Sport Quigley, not sure if his still with Virgin Media. Quigley, Killane and Nugent were all Rugby Heads, 20 years of Rugby people at RTÉ, if not more.

They'll need to employ an LoI man at some point

Cogley (not quigley) is gone a while from VM/TV3, Holden was there after him and they've only give his role to the Head of News, McCaffery, your head of news is now also your head of sport, that's a definite downgrade for sport IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

its nearly a year from i watched any RTE Or any irish station as total rubbish and dont miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

samjames wrote: »
    its nearly a year from i watched any RTE Or any irish station as total rubbish and dont miss it

what about

RTÉ hopes to cash in on Claire Byrne's star appeal with €300,000 sponsorship

and

'I told RTÉ I'd clean the toilets if I had to' - Charlie Bird begged broadcaster to let him work for free during pandemic

samjames wrote: »

Longer for me, 5 or 6 years id say, just got a TV licences summons in the door a few days ago as well, ffs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Longer for me, 5 or 6 years id say, just got a TV licences summons in the door a few days ago as well, ffs:(

Tell them you have no TV, they cannot inspect these days.

RTÉ planned to bring Sean O'Rourke back at the weekends. Not expected to happen now because of Golfgate. Shouldn't have even been an idea at RTÉ. Whole point of getting him to retire is to reduce down your top "stars" figure.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ planned to bring Sean O'Rourke back at the weekends. Not expected to happen now because of Golfgate. Shouldn't have even been an idea at RTÉ. Whole point of getting him to retire is to reduce down your top "stars" figure.

Gotta love how the jokes came thick and fast. :D:D:D

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1297936206827859969?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Elmo wrote: »

Can bring him back in as an independent contractor to milk the system some more, cant have sean showing up at golf dinners in his civvies...

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/rte-expects-loss-of-32m-as-coronavirus-hits-ad-revenues-39471184.html

Read this over the weekend, so RTE are forecasting a loss of €36m, an increase of €25m over earlier projections. The telling part is that the only increase mentioned is solely from a €9m injection from the govt, and the fact they expect to get €5m more from the taxpayer by usign the wage subsidy scheme. Id love to know who is availaing of the WSS in there...financial basket case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Still waiting for all those cuts and changes they promised...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

According to that link they have cut operating costs by 25m, but its a bit vague and wishywashy. That could mean layoffs or selling the fair city set, or cancelling an order for a new fleet of cars for dee and the 'stars'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

retalivity wrote: »
    Id love to know who is availaing of the WSS in there...financial basket case

The two orchestras for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Schnooks

Not sure if on-topic, but watching the 9 o clock news last night, I was struck by the contrast between the 2 Sharons.

Last night's Sharon speaks clearly, doesn't constantly pause in the middle of a sentence, doesn't rush through to the next sentence where a pause or full stop would be appropriate. Doesn't say "eh" every 2nd word when attempting to interview correspondents, and clearly has no idea of the overall picture of the subject they are supposed to be discussing. Last night's Sharon is clear, concise, and knows what the subject is about when interviewing.

Why is the regular Sharon held in such high esteem by RTE, and I assume remunerated accordingly? Most people I know who watch the news do not rate her at all. Another example of RTE pushing people they have decided are the best on the viewing public, when the public do not agree?

It struck me that last night's Sharon is in fact far superior to the regular Sharon in every single skill required of a good newsreader/anchor. Doesn't strike me as a diva either.

Schnooks wrote: »
    Not sure if on-topic, but watching the 9 o clock news last night, I was struck by the contrast between the 2 Sharons.

Last night's Sharon speaks clearly, doesn't constantly pause in the middle of a sentence, doesn't rush through to the next sentence where a pause or full stop would be appropriate. Doesn't say "eh" every 2nd word when attempting to interview correspondents, and clearly has no idea of the overall picture of the subject they are supposed to be discussing. Last night's Sharon is clear, concise, and knows what the subject is about when interviewing.

Why is the regular Sharon held in such high esteem by RTE, and I assume remunerated accordingly? Most people I know who watch the news do not rate her at all. Another example of RTE pushing people they have decided are the best on the viewing public, when the public do not agree?

It struck me that last night's Sharon is in fact far superior to the regular Sharon in every single skill required of a good newsreader/anchor. Doesn't strike me as a diva either.

She's also become rather arrogant as time has gone on. Often refusing to present the news.

She complained about not being paid as much as Bryan Dobson... yet Bryan would never throw a strop.
    No surprise why he was paid more, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

She's also become rather arrogant as time has gone on. Often refusing to present the news.

She complained about not being paid as much as Bryan Dobson... yet Bryan would never throw a strop.

but rte dont like men even though they have to pay the licence fee also

Yes I've heard about some of her refusals to go on, thus requiring the parachuting in of emergency cover. And that she hasn't spoken to her boss in over a year? Not sure what other organisation would tolerate that kind of craic!

Dobson was a far more experienced (and better) newsreader than her, that's why he was paid more.

rightmove wrote: »

Rte's home page is literally 'woe is woman'...

Also happily posted the Muireann O'Connell 'ah, the poor woman lost her job on radio... nobody has suffered as much as Muireann, even Joan of arc had it easier'...

Let it go, thousands are unemployed.

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote: »

Starting to look like that alright, they seem to be over-compensating for the gender balance thing in the last few years, especially in the news department.

Advertisement