Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 50 3.04%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 457 27.81%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 672 40.90%
Scrap RTE altogether 464 28.24%
Voters: 1643. You may not vote on this poll

14-07-2019, 15:14   #1801
Odyssey 2005

Sure,they need all the €160's they can get.
This is just another scandal.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/t...aviv-revealed/
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 02:23   #1802
Jimmy Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey 2005 View Post

Essentially a free holiday all expenses paid for all involved. RTE seem to have policy of sending acts that haven't a snowmans hope in hell of coming anywhere close to winning and that's costing the bones of half a million euros every single year.
15-07-2019, 02:33   #1803
NIMAN

That was 2103 licence fees.....all wasted.
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2019, 03:33   #1804
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
RTE are of the opinion that all houses should have a licence. Free licences such as for some carer's and over 70's are paid for by the state. The rules regarding a TV licence is that you are required to have one if you have a TV. Over the last 10 years we have more and more rented houses. Rented houses by there nature are harder to collect from and there will be gaps in payments when tenants change.

Another point is that many rented and student flats no longer have TVs. Everyone has a laptop, people are more and more just watching their media on their laptop. The assumption that every house in Ireland has a TV and therefore should have a license is just silly in 2019.
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2019, 09:11   #1805
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
The assumption that every house in Ireland has a TV and therefore should have a license is just silly in 2019.
Not really. It is a way fairer assumption now then it was when the license system was introduced or at any point since in reality, the figures may have moved marginally over the past 5-6 years, but the vast vast majority of homes have TV's.

Officially though they don't assume, that's one of the reasons they have inspectors.

In 2019 it's never been "easier" to do without a TV and therefore a license.
Advertisement
15-07-2019, 10:06   #1806
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey 2005 View Post

Cripes!!!

All that for 2 dancers, and one singer (allegedly)? And there was like a diner 'table' too?

Jesus-still, it's 5 grand more than they spent on that Brendan Murray guy. And it was literally him and a balloon on the stage.
Who the hell got all that money?

Last edited by RabbleRouser2k; 15-07-2019 at 10:09. Reason: Costs were wrong
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2019, 10:37   #1807
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Garlic View Post
RTE seem to have policy of sending acts that haven't a snowmans hope in hell of coming anywhere close to winning and that's costing the bones of half a million euros every single year.
How much would you think winning it and having to host it would cost?

I'm happy enough with not winning it for the time being TBH.

That said

Quote:
An average of 242,000 viewers tuned in over the course of the three nights representing a 21 per cent audience share
3 nights of Telly at 21% audience share, if that wipes out the cost and makes a profit, I'm all for it.

The majority of the gouge it seems is from the host nation and whatever private companies become "partners".

Quote:
Hotel costs came to €48,875, while there was a representation bill of €831 and a food and subsistence tab of €16,384
Fúcking Hell!
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 23:47   #1808
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
How much would you think winning it and having to host it would cost?

I'm happy enough with not winning it for the time being TBH.

That said

3 nights of Telly at 21% audience share, if that wipes out the cost and makes a profit, I'm all for it.

The majority of the gouge it seems is from the host nation and whatever private companies become "partners".

Fúcking Hell!
Jesus.... 240 000 viewers watching the Eurovision... there was a time when RTE would have dropped the Eurovision for ratings that low.
RTE 2 would usually get those ratings. For Home and Away.

That's bloody awful.
(3) thanks from:
16-07-2019, 06:14   #1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlead View Post
Pat Kenny is an excellent broadcaster. Probably the best around on Irish or British radio for serious discussion / debate. The notion that everyone that's ever walked through the gates of montrose are rubbish is a nonsense one. Are they grossly overpaid? Yes undoubtedly but thats a different matter altogether. Mariane Finucane is a other example of a very overpaid but very good quality broadcaster.

I think Tubridy is very poor considering his pay but if he sticks to more light hearted stuff then he's fine. The problem with the late late is more the quality of guests they get. 90 percent of them were just rounded up in the rte canteen and people just don't care. To be fair, in a small country like ours it's very hard compete with the likes of BBC with big international guests.
I agree that not everyone who is a broadcaster is rubbish. I do not consider Kenny to be rubbish but do consider him both overpaid and overrated (based on the programmes he did). Marian Finucane is good at what she does and perhaps here is an example of someone underused by RTE.

I'm sure Kenny has more potential than the RTE (and subsequent employers of him) allowed. Stuff like The Frontline were awful and wallowed in extreme negativity. Last night, I watched on RTE a very interesting documentary on Saudi Arabia (RTE 1 11.15) and this is precisely what Kenny should have been doing on The Frontline rather than going on about the same banking topic week in week out. I blame The Frontline for why Mrs Brown's Boys became so popular! Negative poison needed an antidote!!

RTE's canteen guest mentality is damaging the chatshows too I agree 100%. The presenter is often irrelevant. RTE's chatshows have clique-ish obsessions with certain people and with music and comedy for example, it is a closed shop reserved for certain people only.

But I also agree that getting good international guests depends on who is in the country. For example, Tubridy did a very good interview on the radio with Margaret Atwood (writer of The Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, etc.) but it was in June 2018 outside of his TV time. She was actually supposed to be in Ireland in March that year but due to the snow, the event she was to be at was cancelled. She could well have been on one of the TV chatshows if she was here that March.
Advertisement
16-07-2019, 08:32   #1810
ednwireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late Late Show View Post
Marian Finucane is good at what she does and perhaps here is an example of someone underused by RTE.
she really isnt, shes adequate at best if shes interested in the person or subject otherwise snappy and disinterested, the replacements are usually a breath of fresh air when shes not there.
(4) thanks from:
16-07-2019, 09:15   #1811
mike_ie
"The Hierarchy"
Administrator

Moved from AH > CA.
16-07-2019, 09:23   #1812
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post
Jesus.... 240 000 viewers watching the Eurovision... there was a time when RTE would have dropped the Eurovision for ratings that low.

That's bloody awful.
viewing figures in general are down across the board for all tv stations.
Thanks from:
16-07-2019, 09:24   #1813
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post

That's bloody awful.
RTÉ2 would be lucky to get that for Home and Away in the last 20 years.
Thanks from:
16-07-2019, 10:07   #1814
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late Late Show View Post
I blame The Frontline for why Mrs Brown's Boys became so popular! Negative poison needed an antidote!!
Jaysus, you are not going to let that one go are you?

Simply No. Pat Kenny had absolutely nothing to do with the popularity of Mrs Bown's Boys.

It's popular for numerous reasons, the main one being the English networks (and RTE) forgot about that audience for that sort of comedy. They turned their back on them in favor of the under 30s demographic with "Edgy" or "Clever" comedy, the majority of which were "quiz" shows, basically the same 2 dozen celebs doing the circuit across the networks.

The critics absolutely eviscerated it when it was shown here and in Britain, of course in their forced snobbery they forgot the golden rule, comedy is subjective but above all else it's about entertainment and it's about being funny.

Some of the reviews.

Quote:
infantile, talent-deficient and entirely unfunny
Quote:
lazy, end-of-pier trash rooted in the 1970s
Quote:
the worst comedy ever made
Quote:
Jaw-droppingly past its sell-by date
Around 7 million people watched the last Christmas Special. Have they ever been so wrong?
16-07-2019, 12:16   #1815
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
Around 7 million people watched the last Christmas Special. Have they ever been so wrong?
TBH I think its below most all other sit-coms even from the 1970s, I think it purely a case of the lack of sitcoms on TV more than its 1970esq comedy. It's like most Chuck Lorrie sit-coms from the states, there are no other sitcoms in competition with them, why do you think 2 and a Half men last so long, same goes for TBBT.

But true its purely subjective.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion