Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 50 3.04%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 457 27.81%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 672 40.90%
Scrap RTE altogether 464 28.24%
Voters: 1643. You may not vote on this poll

09-07-2019, 10:26   #1756
downtheroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmahe View Post
I think the biggest problem RTE will have in the coming years is competition from on demand streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Prime, I know if I'm at home during the day flick through the normal channels once and if there is nothing of interest, I go straight to the streaming service and put something on, no watersheds or anything to worry about I can watch what I want when I want. How can RTE compete with that?

Even if they fully embrace the technology side of things and come up with their own streaming service or make themselves available through Netflix or similar I cannot see them having the content available to compete.

I believe RTE will dwindle and eventually become a news channel that very few people watch with lots of filler content and no original programming.

Charging people €160 a year for that is no longer viable in today's world (where all of Netflix is 9.99 per month and optional!), if RTE is not commercially viable then it should be wound down and only the bits that can pay their own way kept.
Next Monday they're showing a movie that is on Netflix, The Hitman's Bodyguard. Why would anybody watch it with ads if they could just switch on Netflix ad free at any time of their choosing.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2019, 10:26   #1757
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Only An Post don't pay for those ads and even though "This is a message from the Government of Ireland" neither does the Government. RTÉ produce and pay for those ads. I spoke to a department official who could understand why a contractor for a service would spend the money advertising the service!
Fair enough, I suppose ultimately it's in RTEs interest. Not that I think it is right.

But are you trying to tell me with a straight face that their is no cost incurred in collected or "enforcing" the license fee and that 12.5m is net profit?
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 10:44   #1758
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmahe View Post
I think the biggest problem RTE will have in the coming years is competition from on demand streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Prime, I know if I'm at home during the day flick through the normal channels once and if there is nothing of interest, I go straight to the streaming service and put something on, no watersheds or anything to worry about I can watch what I want when I want. How can RTE compete with that?
RTE can't compete and never will, Netflix are not mandated by a Public Broadcast agreement.

Also Netflix had a 10-15% increase lately didn't it? Market share and bump up the price seems to be the MO. Also the vast majority of people in Ireland don'ts have a subscription.

Also let's be honest Netflix isn't as good as people make out, the vast majority of their catalog is very poor with a lot of old content from the likes of The Beeb, Sky and even RTE. 400 different series about life behind bars.

I think the demise of RTE is being greatly exaggerated TBH, they have faced (uniquely) very powerful competition to the tune of 10-15 billion per annum for years now and are still holding their own.

Like I said they get a lot right and the same amount again wrong, it needs to be overhauled but it is very doable.
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 11:11   #1759
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
But are you trying to tell me with a straight face that their is no cost incurred in collected or "enforcing" the license fee and that 12.5m is net profit?
I agree, An Post do have associated costs, but I think that no minister is going to remove the collection from them, I think this is much more the political issue, than the idea that people resisted Property tax and the water charges.

A major part of An Post service is Government services.
09-07-2019, 16:02   #1760
Scotty #

Quote:
There also supposed to support the rest of RTÉ. It's not just about the amount raised on their shows alone but how much that investment can be redistributed.
Well, where do you think the surplus from the profitable shows currently goes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGaggs View Post
Give it 5 years. The advertisers will realise that they're getting f all out of radio 1. Nothing but a load of old people who spend nothing and dentist waiting rooms tuned in. There's no value for them there.
Simply not true. They have the attention of up to 400k listeners. It'll be along time before that's worthless to any advertiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
The so called top presenters on RTÉ wouldn’t get work with the BBC and wouldn’t get the big wages they’re on anywhere else imo.
Tubridy has filled in for Graham Norton and Chris Evans for BBC several times. They're not 'so called' top presenters. They're top presenters because they top the ratings. The top presenter with the BBC earns five times what RTE's gets and he doesn't bring in a shilling for the station! At least ours generate their own wages.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2019, 16:14   #1761
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty # View Post
Well, where do you think the surplus from the profitable shows currently goes?
Looking at the accounts I don't see that profitability going anywhere if it exists.

Case Study 1: Ray D'Arcy
You have to question why RTÉ brought Ray in, did Radio 1 really need Ray? Ray had worked on RTÉ TV before while at Today FM, one of the only non-RTÉ Radio presenters to be afforded that previlidge.
While he as brought in a high audience to the Radio 1 show, he's really only brought it back to Derek Mooney's old audience share.
And TV brings in more revenue than Radio, The Saturday Night Show was doing excellent, why was there a need to change it, on a risk, and I'd say the gains made by RTÉ Radio were wiped out by RTÉ TV's The Ray D'Arcy Show.

Case Study 2: Pat Kenny
Pat was kept on a 5 year contract by RTÉ. He moved from TLLS and saw only a small decrease in his salary. Frontline was dropped after 2 years and he was left languishing on Prime Time. I don't see how any presenter has brought in an audience to Prime Time.
Yes Newstalk has seen gains due to his arrival, but his TV career has been a shambles since, UTV Ireland's decision to put in on a pre-recorded chatshow, followed by Virgin Media's decision to give him his own current affairs show, which is now limited to just Election Debates.
Meanwhile RTÉ hasn't really seen much of dent because he has left.
(2) thanks from:
09-07-2019, 16:25   #1762
kneemos

Quote:
Looking at the accounts I don't see that profitability going anywhere if it exists.

You have to question why RTÉ brought Ray in, did Radio 1 really need Ray? Ray had worked on RTÉ TV before while at Today FM, one of the only non-RTÉ Radio presenters to be afforded that previlidge.
While he as brought in a high audience to the Radio 1 show, he's really only brought it back to Derek Mooney's old audience share.
And TV brings in more revenue than Radio, The Saturday Night Show was doing excellent, why was there a need to change it, on a risk, and I'd say the gains made by RTÉ Radio were wiped out by RTÉ TV's The Ray D'Arcy Show.

Pat was kept on a 5 year contract by RTÉ. He moved from TLLS and saw only a small decrease in his salary. Frontline was dropped after 2 years and he was left languishing on Prime Time. I don't see how any presenter has brought in an audience to Prime Time.
Yes Newstalk has seen gains due to his arrival, but his TV career has been a shambles since, UTV Ireland's decision to put in on a pre-recorded chatshow, followed by Virgin Media's decision to give him his own current affairs show, which is now limited to just Election Debates.
Meanwhile RTÉ hasn't really seen much of dent because he has left.

Fairly convinced people watch RTE out of sheer habit
Turbidy's misery fest is surely proof of that

Replacing the best political interviewer in the country with Claire Byrne though is a piss poor swap.
Why do they let all their talent go?
09-07-2019, 16:30   #1763
donkeykong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjames View Post
I pay but RTE is rubbish, there is nothing any use on it, the quality of programmes is very poor
They redeemed themselves with me with the recent rte1 investigates programme about the greyhound cruelty.
09-07-2019, 16:30   #1764
Bass Reeves

Quote:
So where are they getting the 15% evasion rate?
RTE are of the opinion that all houses should have a licence. Free licences such as for some carer's and over 70's are paid for by the state. The rules regarding a TV licence is that you are required to have one if you have a TV. Over the last 10 years we have more and more rented houses. Rented houses by there nature are harder to collect from and there will be gaps in payments when tenants change.

RTE cannot take over the collecting if the TV licence as it is collected for the Broadcasting corporation of Ireland. It is not all distributed to RTE. Over the years RTE wanted it indexed linked( now we have no inflation they are not crying half as hard as they were). It hard to know the real evasion rate but I imagine that it is hard to collect in so called working class area's, student area's as well as any high footfall rented area. Nowadays as well people are less inclined to answer doors and it is harder to catch people at home. The advent of social media especially in student area's makes it harder to catch people I say.

At the end of the day RTE has always spend its budget, it's cost cutting is never too real rather paying off lads to retire early. Finally you have over the odds wages right across the board
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2019, 16:45   #1765
RunningFlyer

Looks like the UK HMRC have started cracking down on BBC Presenters avoiding income tax by being paid through their own companies as contractors.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ills-0d09hfwjk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ences-row.html

I wonder would RTE set aside money for their presenters tax bills if Revenue came knocking?!
09-07-2019, 17:44   #1766
Boggles

Quote:

I'd look at these as a different case study.

Ray was pretty well regarded and liked on Today Fm, moves to RTE and it's like he invented cancer given the anger towards him.

Pat, pretty much lampooned when he worked for RTE, now I see him referred to as the finest journalist Ireland has produced.

Conclusion, you get your salary somewhat paid by the public, the target on your back becomes far bigger.
(2) thanks from:
09-07-2019, 17:50   #1767
kneemos

Quote:

Ray was pretty well regarded and liked on Today Fm, moves to RTE and it's like he invented cancer given the anger towards him.

Pat, pretty much lampooned when he worked for RTE, now I see him referred to as the finest journalist Ireland has produced.

Conclusion, you get your salary somewhat paid by the public, the target on your back becomes far bigger.

Pat got stick for the Late Show. He was always regarded for the serious stuff.

Darcy was grand when we weren't paying the guy three or four hundred grand,or whatever it is.
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 18:26   #1768
Edgware
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong5 View Post
They redeemed themselves with me with the recent rte1 investigates programme about the greyhound cruelty.
Speaking of greyhounds they did a Twink benefit show just when we thought we had seen the end ( ooooh Vicar! ) of her
09-07-2019, 18:40   #1769
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong5 View Post
i doubt it. all that was public knollage and reported years ago.
anyone that sat down and thought about it would see what goes on .
the same thing happens with horse racing but nobody is documenting that

it wasnt like they reveled anything new. the prime time documentry on th ecare homes was better (or worse)
(3) thanks from:
09-07-2019, 19:47   #1770
Elmo

Quote:

That's why I number them 1 and 2

I didn't attack either presenters' work or personality.

Ray D'Arcy hasn't improved RTÉ Radio 1's audience in any massive way, and RTÉ ONE's Saturday night chat show has lost audience in comparison to The Saturday Night Show. With this in mind RTÉ rather than gaining anything actually lost, as TV advertising brings in more money that Radio Advertising.

Pat Kenny brought in some audience to Newstalk, but it didn't really cause much problems for Radio 1, his TV career since leaving TLLS has been on a downward spiral.

Perhaps I should have started with Ray D'Arcy is a good presenter but.... and Pat Kenny is our finest broadcaster but....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion