Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Muahahaha wrote: »
    if using this card on Amazon/ebay do you pay UK vat or Irish?

Can't speak for eBay but the vat rate on Amazon is determined by your delivery address, not your card issuer so it doesn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Are they still available at this point?

The never asked for payment anyway. I did have a small balance in my account though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

to avoid confusion / frustration for new users, you need to wait for ID to be verified, once this happens you will have a black card with a number on it. You then need to delete this card and add a new physical one, only then will you get free delivery option.

Got this email 2 days after I paid €6 for a card :(

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

So how do you use this card.
    If I order from amazon do I just add is a a master card debit card?
    Or is it a mastercard Credit card?
    And how much do revolute charge to topup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mrcheez wrote: »
    Hmm still not seeing the benefits of contactless when the downsides are far more prevalent. I wouldn't generally lose anything but I also wouldn't normally expect to find someone's hand in my pocket as I did in a crowded subway in Buenos Aires a few years back.

So I'd rather spend the extra 3 seconds and suffer the "inconvenience" of having to enter my PIN every time I use it if it means more security.

You can disable contactless on a Revolut card, something you can't do with the debit cards issued by most banks. You can even disable the card and enable it only when needed. The point of a Revolut or any other disposable debit card is that you don't use them as a current account but top them up as needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I tried signing up is it normal im asked to deposit 100 euro before I receive a card number

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

__..__ wrote: »
    So how do you use this card.
    If I order from amazon do I just add is a a master card debit card?
    Or is it a mastercard Credit card?
    And how much do revolute charge to topup?

Seriously read the thread (or at least the last few pages) / google. It has been covered at least 10 times on this thread and probably 100s of times on boards and 1000s on google

Seriously read the thread (or at least the last few pages) / google. It has been covered at least 10 times on this thread and probably 100s of times on boards and 1000s on google

Well thanks for a great answer to a simple question. It would have been quicker just to answer the question.
    I'll just go back and read 9 pages again so.

Ive another question for anyone who actually feels like helping though.
    I tried to verify using a photo of me and my passport. Then it said they failed verification. So I went into verify identity again and now it want a copy of my Switerland visa or a picture of my residence card?
    Im Irish by the way and never been to Switerland.
    Anyone else ever get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

__..__ wrote: »
    Well thanks for a great answer to a simple question. It would have been quicker just to answer the question.
    I'll just go back and read 9 pages again so.

Ive another question for anyone who actually feels like helping though.
    I tried to verify using a photo of me and my passport. Then it said they failed verification. So I went into verify identity again and now it want a copy of my Switerland visa or a picture of my residence card?
    Im Irish by the way and never been to Switerland.
    Anyone else ever get that.

It's a long time since I signed up but I didn't have to do anything like that afair it only took a few minutes.

• Advertisement

It's a long time since I signed up but I didn't have to do anything like that afair it only took a few minutes.

Maybe they didn't like the look of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ECookie13

Are the free cards gone ? Don't want to add €10 if there isn't any free cards left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

ECookie13 wrote: »
    Are the free cards gone ? Don't want to add €10 if there isn't any free cards left.

Just worked there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

Just worked for me and herself. Cheers op, was going to order a touch card but wasn't willing to pay 6 quid delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You can disable contactless on a Revolut card, something you can't do with the debit cards issued by most banks. You can even disable the card and enable it only when needed. The point of a Revolut or any other disposable debit card is that you don't use them as a current account but top them up as needed

That's fine, but I guess the point I was making is that the only benefit for me personally of the new card is the extended expiry date as I don't really see the benefit of the contactless option (my current card not having it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

mrcheez wrote: »
    That's fine, but I guess the point I was making is that the only benefit for me personally of the new card is the extended expiry date as I don't really see the benefit of the contactless option (my current card not having it).

The one thing that bugged me with the old card was the numbers being raised but in same colour as card meaning camera etc couldn’t pick up the numbers on it

First world problems eh? .... anyway if revolut ever do support Apple Pay it will be surely with the new card provider meaning would need new card anyway

Since it’s free, nothing to lose by getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Cheers OP had an old card from the start so nice to be able to update for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is the new free card contactless?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

is the new free card contactless?

Yeah it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Managed to switch my address to Ireland and get my free card, cheers OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have used my contactless Revolut card quite a bit over the last few weeks, in Ireland and the UK. Must say that the reliability of the contactless function is VERY spotty - fails 30% of the time I'd say. Caused me quite a bit of delay at Gatwick on Friday as it meant I had to queue to buy a ticket rather just go through the gate. Also a number of failures when used online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have used my contactless Revolut card quite a bit over the last few weeks, in Ireland and the UK. Must say that the reliability of the contactless function is VERY spotty - fails 30% of the time I'd say. Caused me quite a bit of delay at Gatwick on Friday as it meant I had to queue to buy a ticket rather just go through the gate. Also a number of failures when used online.

Did you have all the security settings turned off?

Is this the general experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Did you have a high enough balance on the card for the contactless? I am not sure of the procedure used for them but I do know that you need enough balance for the journey to be valid, from Gatwick AFAIR it is £14 minimum.

I have found the odd website refusing the card, similar to another prepaid debit card I had, I don't use contactless so can't say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Cheers Op, i didn't realise i could avail of the contactless card myself.

Wheety wrote: »
    Did you have all the security settings turned off?
    Yip, all off.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    Did you have a high enough balance on the card for the contactless? I am not sure of the procedure used for them but I do know that you need enough balance for the journey to be valid, from Gatwick AFAIR it is £14 minimum.
    Considerably higher than required. Gatwick min balance is £8.10 BTW - as I found out when I topped up Oyster to £7 (only going to East Croydon so £3 trip) and it was refused, so had to queue again to top it up over the £8.10!

I mean, I think Revolut is great so far, but there's no way you can 100% depend on it!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You need to have £10 minimum on Revolut before making your first Oyster journey as £10 is blocked until the final fare is determined.

Quackster wrote: »
    You need to have £10 minimum on Revolut before making your first Oyster journey as £10 is blocked until the final fare is determined.

I had over a grand on it so presumably that wasn't an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

It asked me for €50 top up not €10. Weird.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

to avoid confusion / frustration for new users, you need to wait for ID to be verified, once this happens you will have a black card with a number on it. You then need to delete this card and add a new physical one, only then will you get free delivery option.

The black card has nothing to do with verification, if anyone has a black card showing all the need to do is log out of the app and then log back in. Revolut will send you a six digit verification code when logging back in. Once logged back in, the black coloured card will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I ordered the contactless to replace my original non contactless card. The new card being issued has a different number on it so I assume I can cut up my old Revolut card now or is it still valid until I start using the new one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement