Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm not too pushed on the contactless aspect, can't the card then get charged without you knowing (e.g. giving card to waiter and he scans it when out of view)?

Or if you lose the card it can be used without pin security.

Or am I not understanding how contactless works?

You can control all activity from the app. You can disable individual features or leave the card fully disabled until you want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

theShire wrote: »
    My wife signed up for d free card and its on it's way. But there's no copy of d card number available in d app.

When I signed up I was able to use it that day online as they showed ur card/expiry/ccv?

To do anything she seems to have to verify identity, which is a balls cos they only accept Irish passports and hers is out of date!

i had an old non-contactless revolut also so deleted it and the new one should be posted on monday, i did the id checks and they have been verified, but within the app the 'new' card is not showing the number, expiry etc yet

do i need to wait or should it be showing, i thought it would show before the card even arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

FYI, as these are a debit card they haven't worked for me for companies requiring a pre authorisation i.e booking NCT. I also got a query by phone from QVC before they would put me on a wait list for an item.

Do Amazon & hotels, etc. not pre authorise?

It's a UK card that might be your problem. I couldn't get it work on bus eireann, they only accept Irish cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭ Harold Limited Lineup

What's the main benefit of this, can you not just use your visa debit card abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What's the main benefit of this, can you not just use your visa debit card abroad?

Standard cards have extra charges.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Flip it, had deleted my old card.
    It said free. But then I was getting charged 5 delivery..

Looks like i have a UK account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

do you have to top up by 10 to get the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

I have money in mine so I didn't but my oh had only €3 and they were looking for him to top up by €10 to get it free so I just send him €10 via phone number on the app and it topped him up immediately and then he got the card free

I didn't have to. I only had like 67 cents in the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Your bank will charge you per transaction for transactions in a different currency. Use this for sterling transactions and don't get charged and get a better transfer rate. You can also use it to withdraw sterling from UK atms without charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

Your bank will charge you per transaction for transactions in a different currency. Use this for sterling transactions and don't get charged and get a better transfer rate. You can also use it to withdraw sterling from UK atms without charges.

I have a tesco credit card and they charge 1.75% conversion fee on top of the exchange rate which adds up, I didn't mind so much when the points where decent but they are ****e now so I am using the Revolut a lot more on the UK sites

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Y You can also use it to withdraw sterling from UK atms without charges.

Max £200 per month without charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Is this still active?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

jonny_b wrote: »
    You can disable the magstrip and contactless from the app

So I'm right about contactless being insecure if the card happens to be out of sight (stolen or used by other person out of view)?

Or are there benefits for keeping contactless without losing security?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Thar_Cian wrote:
    Is this still active?

Worked for me a couple of hours ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mrcheez wrote: »
    So I'm right about contactless being insecure if the card happens to be out of sight (stolen or used by other person out of view)?

Or are there benefits for keeping contactless without losing security?

Contractless is limited to €30 transactions with a limit of 5 transactions without using your pin. Don't let any card out of your sight. Contractless cannot be used without touching the card. There are reported cases of contactless thefts on the London underground, for this you should invest in an RFID blocking wallet or purse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I’m a bit confused about the benefits. Buying online from the likes of amazon would be handy. Does it have to be changed to sterling first? Also with the virtual card can you pay in a store using Apple Pay?

I’m a bit confused about the benefits. Buying online from the likes of amazon would be handy. Does it have to be changed to sterling first? Also with the virtual card can you pay in a store using Apple Pay?

No I just top up the account by euros and pay for the item on the likes of amazon.co.uk in sterling(as they add more to the price when amazon calculate exchange rates)

revoult do the automatic conversion without the extra costs that are associated with standard credit/debit cards when paying in sterling.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My wife deleted her card tonight also, re-signed up for a new contactless one, got the free delivery on it also, however when she goes in to look at her card now, it’s all black, with no branding on it whatsoever, there is a number, expiry and cvv on it ok. I did my own earlier today and mine is the same as what the physical card is, anyone come across this issue yet?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    My wife deleted her card tonight also, re-signed up for a new contactless one, got the free delivery on it also, however when she goes in to look at her card now, it’s all black, with no branding on it whatsoever, there is a number, expiry and cvv on it ok. I did my own earlier today and mine is the same as what the physical card is, anyone come across this issue yet?

I just checked mine there and it is fine. But I did get a notification about downtime on the 08/10 which is now, so maybe that is the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Asked for €50 to order the card, that was €10 on second attempt though.

Getting an error now trying to order it, still listed as free though

*edit* downtime until 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Contractless is limited to €30 transactions with a limit of 5 transactions without using your pin. Don't let any card out of your sight. Contractless cannot be used without touching the card. There are reported cases of contactless thefts on the London underground, for this you should invest in an RFID blocking wallet or purse

Hmm still not seeing the benefits of contactless when the downsides are far more prevalent. I wouldn't generally lose anything but I also wouldn't normally expect to find someone's hand in my pocket as I did in a crowded subway in Buenos Aires a few years back.

So I'd rather spend the extra 3 seconds and suffer the "inconvenience" of having to enter my PIN every time I use it if it means more security.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Every time I try to top up by debit card (EBS MasterCard) it looks for me to sign up to MasterCard SecureCode. This borks the top up pop up in the app and times out the top up. Guess I'll have to top up via bank transfer, which is unfortunately slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

had a old non contact-less card due for expire in Sept 2018. Ordered new card with no issue, delivery expected in 18 Oct, card expire Oct 2022.

Thanks to you OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭south

I've also deleted my card and ordered a new one. As above, it's now also showing a backed out card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

south wrote: »
    I've also deleted my card and ordered a new one. As above, it's now also showing a backed out card

Are they still available at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭NTC

Are they still available at this point?

I just did it there. Will be delivered in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

The email said 10,000 free cards on a first come basis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

if using this card on Amazon/ebay do you pay UK vat or Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

Having a divil of a time getting identity verified. Multiple failures despite clear images

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement