Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2020, 15:50   #1216
stimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSween View Post
Mine was driving me mad a few weeks ago. I unplugged it for two days and used starbucks espresso beans and it started working (water flow). I then used the Blonde espresso and it trickled out on 2 cup setting but works out fine on 1 cup.

Strange machine. Ill need a hoover to clean it.
Do you descale regularly? if you do and it's still working slowly, then dialling in a coarser grind should help.
Advertisement
22-01-2020, 19:42   #1217
McSween

Send a message via MSN to McSween
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post
Do you descale regularly? if you do and it's still working slowly, then dialling in a coarser grind should help.
I only started using it on xmas day. I have it on the finest setting. I might experiment at the weekend. At the start nothing seemed right with it.
22-01-2020, 20:03   #1218
snoopsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSween View Post
I only started using it on xmas day. I have it on the finest setting. I might experiment at the weekend. At the start nothing seemed right with it.
finest setting is a little *too* fine in my experience for most beans
Thanks from:
22-01-2020, 20:12   #1219
stimpson

Yeah. You’re just grinding too fine. Read the manual before you adjust. The grinder must be grinding when you turn the adjustment dial.

You should aim for a single shot to pull an ounce of coffee in 25-30 sec. I find the left dial at 10:00 and the right at 2:00 is a good place to start. Alter the shot size to get an ounce and then dial in the time with the grind. My grinder is set to 4.5 for medium roast beans.

Oh, and don’t use the double shot button. It just doubles the water giving you an overextracted shot. Do two single shots instead.
Thanks from:
22-01-2020, 20:34   #1220
snoopsheep

genuinely haven't noticed the double shot doing that. the puck of spent grounds is noticeably thicker etc

minimise the water going through it, sure. top up with boiling water from kettle after if needed
Advertisement
22-01-2020, 21:39   #1221
Don Imac2

Interesting article which might benefit those on the quest for the perfect coffee. It's all in the grind.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...rfect-espresso
Thanks from:
23-01-2020, 10:29   #1222
stimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopsheep View Post
genuinely haven't noticed the double shot doing that. the puck of spent grounds is noticeably thicker etc

minimise the water going through it, sure. top up with boiling water from kettle after if needed
I was curious about this so I pulled a double shot this morning. Pucks are identical - left is a single, right is a double. right looks slightly bigger as it's still wet.

these are the shots - left is 2 singles, right is the double. the double crema is lighter in colour and the shot tastes noticeably weaker than the 2 singles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9772.jpg (173.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9773.jpg (170.1 KB, 244 views)
Thanks from:
23-01-2020, 10:33   #1223
snoopsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post
I was curious about this so I pulled a double shot this morning. Pucks are identical - left is a single, right is a double. right looks slightly bigger as it's still wet.

these are the shots - left is 2 singles, right is the double. the double crema is lighter in colour and the shot tastes noticeably weaker than the 2 singles.

fair play, i might well go back and have another look at my technique after that!
23-01-2020, 10:38   #1224
stimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopsheep View Post
fair play, i might well go back and have another look at my technique after that!
No worries. I was just parroting what I had read on the web. It was interesting to check it out myself.
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 17:47   #1225
Ardent

Just got this machine and very disappointed with the weak milk frother/steamer. The De Longhi Icona it replaces was streets ahead for making cappucinos etc. Any tips or tricks to increase output of the steamer?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion