Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-10-2010, 19:45   #1
E39MSport

touch down?

Hi All,

I think I posted this in the wrong place a few weeks ago: -
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056028289

Do we get tornados here?

Cheers,
Advertisement
01-10-2010, 23:42   #2
Min

I think the average for Ireland is 10 tornadoes a year.
02-10-2010, 10:23   #3

It's a funnel cloud, we get a lot of these and some sources say we get about 40 touch downs each year.

Tornadoes in Ireland are usually weak and very short lived, but we do have touchdowns with violent and dramatic effects.

From a visual point of view, our tornadoes are usually rain wrapped too ~ ergo, yer can nay see 'em!

Stories that make news after storms are the single tree blown down in line, the single house in an estate with it roof off, the single section of wall knocked over, single bus stops and lamp poles bent ~ all indicative of touch down.
Thanks from:
03-10-2010, 10:58   #4
E39MSport

Thanks. indeed, I didn't see any tornado per se. I saw some serious concentrated cloud activity followed by these funnel shapes and the debris falling stright down from as far up as I could see.

In fact, it's the second time over the space of a few years that I have witnessed the same phenomenon in the exact same part of sky.

Cheers,

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion