Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Of course you would throw that in.

Why on earth would a hardline unionist live in the Republic? :confused:

Loyalty to the half crown and all that. I know plenty of NI protestants who work in Dublin, but they'd more of the soft nationalist, James Nesbit types, who blush at the sight of a bonfire or an orange march. Why an out and out loyalist would take the President's euro is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

cgcsb wrote: »
    Loyalty to the half crown and all that. I know plenty of NI protestants who work in Dublin, but they'd more of the soft nationalist, James Nesbit types, who blush at the sight of a bonfire or an orange march. Why an out and out loyalist would take the President's euro is anyone's guess.
    Oh yeah I've worked with four unionists here. Nicest people you could meet. And very proud of their unionist backgrounds and their Britishness (but not in an aggressive way) and respectful of the other communities. Protestant in the really decent, kind Christian way. Sounds good to me.

None on Boards are like that though. Well one is ok (ish) but the rest just seem to be out to antagonise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

How do they get the pallets up the top is what I want to know, do people climb on the other pallets or do they use machines, fascinated.

Horrible for the people living beside them, must be really frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Berserker wrote: »
    AHH yes the protest bonfire that hoods did after the original smaller bonfire was removed by the police as the community wanted a family fun day but the hoods got what they wanted nobody else wanted it

A republican family fun day in Londonderry/Derry. Everyone is welcome, I suppose! I think I'll leave the thread at this point. I'm heading up to Belfast tomorrow, so I've a busy day ahead.
    Mind how you go, don't forget to take off the bowler hat and sash on the way back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

How do they get the pallets up the top is what I want to know, do people climb on the other pallets or do they use machines, fascinated.

Horrible for the people living beside them, must be really frightening
    1795463433001_5501876990001_5031938750001-vs.jpg?pubId=1795463433001&videoId=5031938750001

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

1795463433001_5501876990001_5031938750001-vs.jpg?pubId=1795463433001&videoId=5031938750001
    The British Empire was Never Good for Your Health and Safety :eek::eek::eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

It'd be handy if the knackers down here did the same, I have plenty of pallets to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

NI doesn't allow republican terrorists to stroll down the streets of it's capital city. The RoI does and aside for a few woolly remarks nothing more is made of it.

Hang on a minute here is the ira strolling down the street in Derry (may not be a capital but don’t think that matters hugely)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nesbitt is from a Protestant family and marched with a flute band up until the Drumcree debacle.

Nesbitt is from a Protestant family and marched with a flute band up until the Drumcree debacle.

And he appears to have matured, everyone can grow and learn. Stephen Rea became quite a staunch republican in adult life despite his background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You shouldn't be, it's a great city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

NI doesn't allow republican terrorists to stroll down the streets of it's capital city. The RoI does and aside for a few woolly remarks nothing more is made of it.

I would find the new IRA (or whatever type of Republican they call themselves) March in our capital's main street, only days after the journalist was shot in Derry, much more frightening and sinister than a family day out commemorating something from hundreds of years ago.

janfebmar wrote: »
    I would find the new IRA (or whatever type of Republican they call themselves) March in our capital's main street

all 45 seconds of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

In fairness alot of good people.walked away from.orange order after that carry on

Stopping outside homes of relatives of those boys killed to play billy boys was a level.of crass unimaginable to those who arent complete raving bigots

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would find the new IRA (or whatever type of Republican they call themselves) March in our capital's main street, only days after the journalist was shot in Derry, much more frightening and sinister than a family day out commemorating something from hundreds of years ago.

Lol tomorrow is far from a friendly family day out

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lol tomorrow is far from a friendly family day out

depends where you live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

What amazes me is that the PSNI don't go in to the leisure centre and dismantle the bonfires. If this was a republican one they'd have dismantled it by now and battered a few of them for good measure. Sectarian State

votecounts wrote: »
    What amazes me is that the PSNI don't go in to the leisure centre and dismantle the bonfires. If this was a republican one they'd have dismantled it by now and battered a few of them for good measure. Sectarian State

The attempt to dismantle it is now off. The message here is, loyalst knacks can do whatever they like wherever they like, whenever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The attempt to dismantle it is now off. The message here is, loyalst knacks can do whatever they like wherever they like, whenever they like.

Heaven help the Fire Services tonight. Dangerous times

Yep let's see what happens now if they do what they did last year and go into the bogside and rip down a bonfire there this summer

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Heaven help the Fire Services tonight. Dangerous times

Nothing new they are used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

East Belfast UVF directly threatened them and the backed down they are ceding control of these areas back to these scummers again. Jamie Bwyson is the front man/mouthpiece for this but the real power behind is Stephen Matthews and David McConnell 1st and 2nd in command of EB UVF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

There is a clear and obvious difference between how the communities are treated here. The trouble that led to Lyra McKee being shot started from a raid where the PSNI suspected there to be guns. The UVF have actually threatened violence, with the police suspecting firearms would be involved, and they PSNI back down. As other posters have said, area ceded to paramilitaries. If this was a nationalist area they would have had the armed units in.

I live fairly close to one of these, a few hundred yards, and even with the windows closed I still find myself coughing the night/day after these bonfires. They're absolutely toxic. Their marches on the 12th are an expression of culture, the bonfires are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

votecounts wrote: »

Bonfires in leisure centres? .. and re the PSNI, your secterian state comment is far from the truth in the modern era.
    The PSNI is a fully accountable, professional & modern police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

I've always found it puzzling that the bonfires are a celebration of their loyalty to the British throne which they originally demonstrated by helping the Dutch king defeat the English King. The Dutch lads didn't last long after and the Germans took over. But that's OK apparently...... :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Apparently the hand wringing PSNI have no legal powers to remove bonfires...

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    Apparently the hand wringing PSNI have no legal powers to remove bonfires...

WTF?

for a fine specimen of double talk, read this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/0711/1061417-northern-ireland-bonfires/

They intend to charge them after the event?

Bonfires in leisure centres? .. and re the PSNI, your secterian state comment is far from the truth in the modern era.
    The PSNI is a fully accountable, professional & modern police force.

Yes there is a bonfire set up in a leisure center carpark where have you been since Sunday. The PSNI even issued a warning to the council that the names of the contractor who was due to remove the bonfire has been leaked and UVF have threatened them. If the PSNI know this then they should be in raiding those houses and not standing back letting them take over council property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

T'will destroy the tarmac.
    The PSNI also have the Ombudsman looking over their shoulders, so whatever they do be assured it's closely monitored.

Advertisement