Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduating medicine abroad and registration

• 02-01-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all!
    I studied medicine abroad in Riga, Latvia and will graduate in June. I was hoping to maybe find other people who had graduated abroad or even anyone who knows of people who graduated med abroad as I'm a bit worried about registration. SHOs start in July but with graduation in June I'm worried about getting registration on time... of those who graduated abroad did you get registered on time or did you apply for jobs the following January? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Could you try beginning the registration process early and when interviewing etc. just mention that your registration is pending?

Provided you don't actually work in Ireland without being registered, you'll have done nothing wrong.

I know a lot of people who didn't even commence the registration process until after they had a job offer (though tbf, they had significant experience abroad already before coming here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cotroni

Hi There,
    I have been working for the past 2 years in emergency medicine in Belgium and have been going through the registration process hoping to start as an SHO in july.
    I have to say that the registration process is very slow. I sent all the requested documents on the 15th janaury and had to call them three times since I did not hear from anyone....first call was made after a month and a half and they told me they hadn't received my documents yet, which is quite weird since I sent everything from France...anyway....second contact was by email, and I got no reply......third contact they finally told me they received my documents and the process is ongoing.....
    today is march 2nd 2021 and I have not received any feedback yet on my registration account;
    I had a chat with a recruiter who told me that they are behind their deadlines in terms of registration process.

This leads me to the next question: do anyone know about these recruiters who call you to offer SHO opportunities in Ireland ans asking you not to deal directly with hospitals?
    As an EU Doc, let say I am lucky enough to start off on july as a non trained SHO, what is the likelyhood that i get in a training program next year?

Thanks for your feedback :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'd deal with the hospitals directly.

You can e-mail the Mater/Vincents/St James/Tallaght directly via their careers page. They usually start recruiting for standalone SHO posts in March/April although if you're looking for an ED job there's usually SHO standalone posts easily available anyway.

You shouldn't have an issue applying for training schemes next year. EU applicants are all on the same footing!

Advertisement