Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3 - Virginia Bypass [route options published]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think it is. Coming off the dual carriageway if you're behind a bus or a HGV on bad days you could be stuck behind them the whole way. Should be much better for such a busy route.

In fairness, that sentence could apply to a majority of the non-motorway/DC national primary network.

The list of roads in Ireland needing upgrading is staggeringly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

roadmaster wrote: »
    I think that could be solved easily enough with side roads. They will have the same issue with Mullingar to Longford.

Won’t the M4 extension be completely new build? In the year dot when it happens of course

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness, that sentence could apply to a majority of the non-motorway/DC national primary network.

The list of roads in Ireland needing upgrading is staggeringly long.

Apart from Virginia there’s no major bottle neck on the N3- focus needs to be on roads and projects to alleviate all remaining towns that aren’t bypassed on national routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

road_high wrote: »
    Apart from Virginia there’s no major bottle neck on the N3- focus needs to be on roads and projects to alleviate all remaining towns that aren’t bypassed on national routes.

I wonder at some point if they plan to create a small loop to avoid the N3 part that goes past hotel kilmore and link up out towards butlers bridge for traffic heading to Enniskillen

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I wonder at some point if they plan to create a small loop to avoid the N3 part that goes past hotel kilmore and link up out towards butlers bridge for traffic heading to Enniskillen

I’d imagine the whole current road would be bypassed - so yes that’ll probably be the plan with a tie in with the N3 north of Cavan towards Belturbet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

I’d imagine the whole current road would be bypassed - so yes that’ll probably be the plan with a tie in with the N3 north of Cavan towards Belturbet
    Might make more sense to go a southernly route and tie in with the N55 - which is a pretty new section and could easily be upgraded to 2+2 if desired. The n3 also takes a bit of a dog-leg in the 10-ish km before Cavan so going that way could cut down on the length of road needed.
    North of Cavan the road is actually better but more recently opened of course.
    Yep, certainly enough capacity. Has the odd dodgy junction.

In general I don't see much other than the Virginia bypass happening in the near future. It doesn't have huge* volumes of traffic and would be an expensive built - hilly terrain and a hell of a lot of one-off housing (even by Irish standards).

*I mean, compared to how over-capacity so many of our roads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

What sort of length would this scheme be?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What sort of length would this scheme be?
    If they go ahead with a simple 2+2 from the end of the M3 Clonee-Kells scheme then you are looking at roughly 13-17km of road.

The old massive 46km Kells-Cavan Town scheme looks to have been scrapped in favour of a shorter scheme.

This is going on the above article with the "€130m" pricetag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Any indication if it'll be north or south of Lough Ramor?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Gilroy

When will people know what's happening or see a draft route drawn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Any pre-christmas update on this one?

Any pre-christmas update on this one?
    No, but it is way too early for one.

With respect to current timelines, and without being too specific for fear of being wrong, we should see route options being published in the latter half of 2020. Hopefully an inoffensive 2+2 scheme roughly 15km long between the N3 dual carriageway and somewhere around Lisgrey as was proposed before.

If they decide to go west of Lough Ramor they might squeeze a few more km out of it. A 15-20km scheme would get through planning reasonably quickly and would hopefully proceed to construction within 6-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, but it is way too early for one.

With respect to current timelines, and without being too specific for fear of being wrong, we should see route options being published in the latter half of 2020. Hopefully an inoffensive 2+2 scheme roughly 15km long between the N3 dual carriageway and somewhere around Lisgrey as was proposed before.

If they decide to go west of Lough Ramor they might squeeze a few more km out of it. A 15-20km scheme would get through planning reasonably quickly and would hopefully proceed to construction within 6-7 years.

Let's just let that sink in for a minute...

About a decade to deliver 15-20km of road, and that's assuming they take the most straightforward option, and allowing for "speedy" planning approval.

A decade...

No wonder we're always playing catch-up in this country! :(

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's just let that sink in for a minute...

About a decade to deliver 15-20km of road, and that's assuming they take the most straightforward option, and allowing for "speedy" planning approval.

A decade...

No wonder we're always playing catch-up in this country! :(
    And that's me being optimistic ;)

A good few of projects that entered planning around 2014 took ~5 years to get from where the Virginia Bypass is now to An Bord Pleanala.

The tranche of projects activated in 2018 hopes to do this in 3.5 years. Hopefully they can overcome the levels of bureaucracy that have been causing delays up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

is there any route details in the etender documents?
    nvrmind, read it wrong. traffic data! ta

Shaunoc wrote: »
    is there any route details in the etender documents?
    nvrmind, read it wrong. traffic data! ta
    Only available after expression of interest unfortunately.

God I find these things such an irritating waste of money- fluff around the edges. The dogs on the street could tell you Virginia needs a bypass- I know it’s all part of the process but still annoying. Just slows down the process even more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

God I find these things such an irritating waste of money- fluff around the edges. The dogs on the street could tell you Virginia needs a bypass- I know it’s all part of the process but still annoying. Just slows down the process even more

Everybody needs a slice of the pie:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s not about whether Virginia needs a bypass, it’s about where in the pecking order Virginia lies. There are plenty of towns in Ireland that could do with a bypass.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    It’s not about whether Virginia needs a bypass, it’s about where in the pecking order Virginia lies. There are plenty of towns in Ireland that could do with a bypass.

It's fairly high up the pecking order and is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I just hope that whitegate is included in the bypass as I was traveling to ballyshannon last week and yet another bad crash, Seam to be two trucks and a van. TII and there designers have a lot to answer for not incorporating that crossroads in to the end of the N3 2 +2 ten years ago

People of Virginia you pray that the greens get now where near power as Mr Ryan was on Morning Ireland today an in as many words said he would scrap the bypass but don't worry he will provide a publc transport solution!

People of Virginia you pray that the greens get now where near power as Mr Ryan was on Morning Ireland today an in as many words said he would scrap the bypass but don't worry he will provide a publc transport solution!
    Glanbia will be delighted to divest their fleet of trucks and start bringing milk to to the plant by bicycle and bus.

Did he single out Virginia (why?) or was it the whole hog? I truly beleive thye would be a horror show if they are in again- Roads, transport, agriculture and carbon taxes will be in the firing line.

Did he single out Virginia (why?) or was it the whole hog? I truly beleive thye would be a horror show if they are in again- Roads, transport, agriculture and carbon taxes will be in the firing line.

Leo was in Monaghan on a photo shoot and name dropped the Virginia bypass as one of FG’s investment priorities yesterday, so it was regarded as “topical”.

Not sure how €160m could be better spent on transport in Virginia tbh.

Leo was in Monaghan on a photo shoot and name dropped the Virginia bypass as one of FG’s investment priorities yesterday, so it was regarded as “topical”.

Not sure how €160m could be better spent on transport in Virginia tbh.

It wouldn't be. Money would be spent/wasted some place else. Bypasses are also a huge boon towards public transport as they speed up buses enormously. One of the side effects of the new motorways is a proliferation of more direct bus services in fact opening up that mode of public transport to people like me that didn't use buses much before- to go to Dublin especially.

Glanbia will be delighted to divest their fleet of trucks and start bringing milk to to the plant by bicycle and bus.

I know Glanbia is not as big a plant as the southern ones but the amount of trucks that service it is mental especially Dale Farm trucks from cross border

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I just hope that whitegate is included in the bypass as I was traveling to ballyshannon last week and yet another bad crash, Seam to be two trucks and a van. TII and there designers have a lot to answer for not incorporating that crossroads in to the end of the N3 2 +2 ten years ago

https://www.thejournal.ie/witness-appeal-fatal-crash-meath-4968982-Jan2020/

• Advertisement

Barry are hiring a land liason officer for the scheme

http://www.barrytransportation.ie/job_N3_land_liaison_officer.html

Job description confirms the scheme will be ~16km in length between the end of the M3/N3 Clonee-Kells scheme at Derver and the northern end of Lisgrey.

Advertisement