Vaperus

I agree it shouldnt be compulsory
Address you could just put the county
Telephone should probably be optional
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-12-2013, 10:59   #47
StickyIcky

Exactly. Why are WVO requesting this information, why does it seem to be 'mandatory' ? Surely people can provide it if they want to and if they don't want to then they can still sign up with just their email address?

I didn't remember putting in my full name, home address, telephone number so I logged in to WVO and went to 'user profile' and I see these fields are blank. So I'm guessing these were added after I registered.

If you're shopping online then it's obvious you have to enter your name and address to have things posted out to you. If you ask for their email address on top of that, you should say 'this is so we can email you with status updates on your order, or incase there is any problem with your order' then people will think ah okay so I'll put my email in no problem. People don't even really like putting in their email address because email address usually = news letter which = spam. They dislike even more giving out their phone number because that = calls from weird numbers at god knows what hour of the day. Finally giving out their address = now I know where you live. At least to a large enough amount of people to make it an issue if your goal is power of numbers at the end of the day.

I would just get their email address and then you can always request they login and fill in as much other information as they feel comfortable with later. Or make it so when they sign up, then they're redirected to another page asking them for more information, why you're asking for that information, but making it clear the information is not compulsory (they're signed up at this stage anyway, so no chance of losing anyone, if you follow me)
17-12-2013, 11:21   #48
iba

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyIcky View Post
Exactly. Why are WVO requesting this information, why does it seem to be 'mandatory' ? Surely people can provide it if they want to and if they don't want to then they can still sign up with just their email address?

I didn't remember putting in my full name, home address, telephone number so I logged in to WVO and went to 'user profile' and I see these fields are blank. So I'm guessing these were added after I registered.

If you're shopping online then it's obvious you have to enter your name and address to have things posted out to you. If you ask for their email address on top of that, you should say 'this is so we can email you with status updates on your order, or incase there is any problem with your order' then people will think ah okay so I'll put my email in no problem. People don't even really like putting in their email address because email address usually = news letter which = spam. They dislike even more giving out their phone number because that = calls from weird numbers at god knows what hour of the day. Finally giving out their address = now I know where you live. At least to a large enough amount of people to make it an issue if your goal is power of numbers at the end of the day.

I would just get their email address and then you can always request they login and fill in as much other information as they feel comfortable with later. Or make it so when they sign up, then they're redirected to another page asking them for more information, why you're asking for that information, but making it clear the information is not compulsory (they're signed up at this stage anyway, so no chance of losing anyone, if you follow me)
That is very interesting that they have added the extra fields of; full name, home address and telephone number since you registered, I am guessing, a couple of days ago.

Call me cyncial if you will but I am really asking myself now why would they add these extra fields.

Regards
17-12-2013, 11:31   #49
StickyIcky

Studies show that most 'test users' question why I website is asking for information that doesn't seem immediately obvious at to why it's necessary.

The fact that it's like this I'm sure is in no way 'sinister' I think it's just poorly implemented by the organisers. Possibly thinking 'of course if people are as passionate as us and they know us and they know we have their best interests at heart then of course it's no problem to ask for this info, of course people will be fine with giving it out.'

The other just as likely possibility is that's just the way the website framework was originally programmed and they've just left if that way it was without really considering it. Like I know they were having problems with registration, so possibly at first they removed these extra fields, registration bugs and problems were happening, so they reset it back to the way it was.

Be cynical / sceptical by all means but I can say with 99% certainty because I know some of the people involved with starting this up there's nothing to be sceptical about here.
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 12:57   #50
dePeatrick

Vapers worldwide have been extraordinary good at making their voice heard, a representative body,that is paid for by vapers will shift the burden of responsibility to this organisation. I do not think this is a good thing at all.

One of the most interesting things about Vaping is how it has been a consumer led revolution with each individual inputting without the need for any umbrella organisation, quite a unique political concept....and so far it has worked extremely well and I for one want to watch it evolve not into yet another word wide .org but stay as it has been, a people's movement.
Advertisement
17-12-2013, 13:19   #51
grindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dePeatrick View Post
so far it has worked extremely well and I for one want to watch it evolve not into yet another word wide .org but stay as it has been, a people's movement.
And any possible legal action that needs to be brought before the ECHR would be organised how and by whom and how long would that take?

Twitterbombing is a means of publicising, writing to MEPs is a blind hope that opinions can be swayed, both do little for the practicalities involved in pushing as hard as we're getting pushed.
(3) thanks from:
17-12-2013, 13:22   #52
StickyIcky

Exactly Grindle.

A bunch of people working independently for the same cause is great and all but what happens when you've a bunch of organised people hell bent on squashing vaping for their own personal greed and gain going against a bunch of unorganised vapers with the best intentions? Who is going to stand up for us?

What's wrong with the individual people doing what they're doing now and in the future and also having an organised bunch of individuals and groups with vapers best interest at heart?

Unless you don't trust the WVO then fine I understand that much. The thing is that everyone can register and I'm guessing everyone can vote so it shouldn't be an issue.
17-12-2013, 13:26   #53
dePeatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindle View Post
And any possible legal action that needs to be brought before the ECHR would be organised how and by whom and how long would that take?

Twitterbombing is a means of publicising, writing to MEPs is a blind hope that opinions can be swayed, both do little for the practicalities involved in pushing as hard as we're getting pushed.
This will only be regulated if people allow it to be, prohibition has never worked, results of medical reports, personal experiences of vapers will win out in this one.

Remember people can only rule if people obey, I have zero intentions of allowing any government dictate to me how much nicotine to put in my body. The rest of the sheep can do as they please......stew is quite good
17-12-2013, 13:37   #54
StickyIcky

Prohibition doesn't work but it doesn't mean it hasn't and isn't happening. Look at what happened with 'reefer madness' back in the 30's and that's still prohibited today even though it's less harmful to society than smoking and or alcohol. I think to say it will never happen is daft and to say if it does happen I'm not going to obey it anyway. Fair enough neither will I, but best we make sure it never happens using every tool in our arsenal not just relying on the tools we've already been using.
Advertisement
17-12-2013, 13:47   #55
dePeatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyIcky View Post
Prohibition doesn't work but it doesn't mean it hasn't and isn't happening. Look at what happened with 'reefer madness' back in the 30's and that's still prohibited today even though it's less harmful to society than smoking and or alcohol. I think to say it will never happen is daft and to say if it does happen I'm not going to obey it anyway. Fair enough neither will I, but best we make sure it never happens using every tool in our arsenal not just relying on the tools we've already been using.
Same old BS, different day, I am too old for this now tbh....I just get on with it and everyone leaves me alone thank god. It just is another way for a whole load of people to get salaries for enforcing the un-enforceable......

The old "follow the money" mantra is still valid today. There is money in regulation, enforcing silly laws, justifying the existence of countless committees, politicians, it is a fair system, but very overweight.
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 13:55   #56
StickyIcky

No disagreement there daPeatrick dude and when I heard this ****e was kicking off again after the EU medicinal debacle my initial reaction was fer fup sake this again? really?

But yes it's happening and yes it's fupped up but if you're too old for this now and want to leave us to get on with it fair enough.

Sit this one out and leave it us to it, you probably earned it by the sounds of it.

I'd like if we can keep the focus of this thread on how we can make the WVO better and use it to stop what's happening right now in Brussels from getting any worse and revert the bad stuff they're planning to impose on vaping.

I'm hoping Wingnut gets back to us soon about what's happening with the WVO registration page and then I'm going to start sharing it more, right now I think that needs addressing first. In the mean time i'm going to talk to my dentist friend and see if he'd be willing to contribute in some way (I'm not sure if he will but I'll ask).
17-12-2013, 13:57   #57
wingnut32

Folks, I have a scheduled call with Georgio today and I will bring the issue of address etc. up. Im sure there is a reasonable explanation for it. I will report back to you as soon as I can. If anyone has any other questions I can bring up please send me a PM and I will come back to you.
Thanks from:
17-12-2013, 14:05   #58
dePeatrick

As far as I understand it, all of this will be very likely tested in court and will most likely fail that same test. Also is this merely a proposal as yet? have not had time to read much about it today as yet. Do you know how far this away from being made law?
17-12-2013, 14:18   #59
dePeatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindle View Post

So far it has been the vendors that have been great at bringing actions, and it is the vendors who should continue to bring actions. it is perfectly obvious that there is some form of regulation going to come down the line here at some stage and the people most concerned by this are the vendors. I just feel it is a bit of a cheap shot hitting the consumer for donations when anyone can see that what was a small cottage industry is now much much more than that.

If I was starting an organisation like this though, Ireland would be my first port of call, where else would you get as gullible and as compliant a nation in the EU?

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, three bags full.......Sir......
17-12-2013, 14:20   #60
wingnut32

Folks,

full address will be changed to optional, email and country will be required for when changes take place today. Please do not let this put you off registering for this.

Cheers

Paul.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion