21-11-2018, 17:11   #766
Tigerandahalf

All these greenways are great. They'll become a bucket list of trails to tick off and a great way to visit and see different parts of the country.

I wonder will we eventually see some sort of orbital route covering the whole country that could be marketed and maybe cycled over a week or so. Great potential there anyway.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-11-2018, 17:19   #767
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
I wonder will we eventually see some sort of orbital route covering the whole country that could be marketed and maybe cycled over a week or so. Great potential there anyway.
It would end up being a massive tourist draw IMO. Much like the Wild Atlantic Way has been.

I'd also love to see us develop hiking routes more too.

It is smart for us to take advantage of our rugged beauty and attract more adventure type tourism. We will never be a sun destination, but we do have an awful lot to offer for those looking for a different type of holiday, which has become much more popular these days. Young people today seem to be more interested in experiences then simple traditional sun holidays.
(3) thanks from:
23-11-2018, 13:38   #768
schemingbohemia

Great Southern Greenway awarded €2.7m in improvement works under Rural Regeneration Fund

https://drcd.gov.ie/about/news-centr...elopment-fund/

Should see significant improvements made and attract more users. Good News.
Thanks from:
23-11-2018, 14:04   #769
riddlinrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by schemingbohemia View Post
Great Southern Greenway awarded €2.7m in improvement works under Rural Regeneration Fund

https://drcd.gov.ie/about/news-centr...elopment-fund/

Should see significant improvements made and attract more users. Good News.
Another interesting one I see there (marked on map also now) Is the restoration of the Borris Viaduct, presumably as part of a walking trail? I imagine that restoration would be a major component of the work to turn that section of disused railway into a greenway.

I haven't heard of any other plans to do so but given the opposition in that area to the canal greenway there could be a focus shift to the railway as an alternative in future?
23-11-2018, 20:18   #770
Qrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlinrussell View Post
Another interesting one I see there (marked on map also now) Is the restoration of the Borris Viaduct, presumably as part of a walking trail? I imagine that restoration would be a major component of the work to turn that section of disused railway into a greenway.

I haven't heard of any other plans to do so but given the opposition in that area to the canal greenway there could be a focus shift to the railway as an alternative in future?
Which canal? And which opposition? I always wonder why these get so much criticism half the time.
Advertisement
23-11-2018, 20:30   #771
Corca Baiscinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt View Post
Which canal? And which opposition? I always wonder why these get so much criticism half the time.
Barrow Navigation Canal, Olivia O' Leary who is from Borris objected strongly to the towpath being made suitable for cycling as well as walking. Something got to do with peace ad quiet and wild-life and wanting to keep the current surface and not widen the path if I remember rightly. Planning Permission was refused. It was Waterways Ireland who wanted to develop it
23-11-2018, 21:39   #772
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corca Baiscinn View Post
Barrow Navigation Canal, Olivia O' Leary who is from Borris objected strongly to the towpath being made suitable for cycling as well as walking. Something got to do with peace ad quiet and wild-life and wanting to keep the current surface and not widen the path if I remember rightly. Planning Permission was refused. It was Waterways Ireland who wanted to develop it
I'd have no problem with improving access to the tow path, but can see the point in not having everything to a cycleway standard..
Thanks from:
24-11-2018, 09:52   #773
DaCor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
I'd have no problem with improving access to the tow path, but can see the point in not having everything to a cycleway standard..
Thing is its not just cycling

It's wheelchair users
It's prams
It's those with mobility issues

A level surface is exactly what you need to ensure full social inclusion of all community members
24-11-2018, 13:16   #774
cantalach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Russell View Post
It is a propsed new regulation for new or refurbed trains - at least 8 bike psitions per train.

It needs to be actioned by the Concil and Commission.
Is it 8 per train or per carriage? If it's the former then this isn't much of a win seeing as IR already has spaces for, what is it, six bikes per train?
Advertisement
24-11-2018, 13:32   #775
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantalach View Post
Is it 8 per train or per carriage? If it's the former then this isn't much of a win seeing as IR already has spaces for, what is it, six bikes per train?
It must be per train as there's not enough space for 8 or even 2 per carriage.
24-11-2018, 13:37   #776
Sam Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantalach View Post
It says 'per train'. I'm not sure of the number of places on IR intercity trains - I thought it was two.
24-11-2018, 19:57   #777
DaCor

2 is correct
24-11-2018, 21:04   #778
Del.Monte

Of course, if we still had proper trains instead of glorified sardine cans there would be plenty of room for bikes, parcels and more.
24-11-2018, 21:11   #779
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
Thing is its not just cycling

It's wheelchair users
It's prams
It's those with mobility issues

A level surface is exactly what you need to ensure full social inclusion of all community members
. . . . But do all paths everywhere have to be to that standard?
I used to walk a lot of forest tracks, totally unsuited to anything other than foot, or something like the old Kenmare road... Again it's a hiking/walking track,
I'm not against greenways, and think where a path is being newly built and is practical to make it a greenway then great but theres room for difference too..
25-11-2018, 18:46   #780
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
. . . . But do all paths everywhere have to be to that standard?
I used to walk a lot of forest tracks, totally unsuited to anything other than foot, or something like the old Kenmare road... Again it's a hiking/walking track,
I'm not against greenways, and think where a path is being newly built and is practical to make it a greenway then great but theres room for difference too..
As an enthusiastic hiker myself, I get what you are saying. But the difference here is that you are talking about a path right beside a canal, something that is a man made structure in the first place and secondly are usually very flat and thus very suited to a more accessible path.

No one is suggesting that you put a lift up Lugnaquilla, but canal paths do seem like ideal locations for improved accessibility.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion