15-11-2006, 20:45   #1
frobisher

Anyone with experience releasing a record/CD in Ireland?

I'd love to hear any experiences that people have from either going total DIY or to doing it with a label. Or what works and what doesn't from success to failure.
Advertisement
28-11-2006, 10:22   #2
miju
Banned

to be honest it's such a broad topic and would be better to try and break / narrow it down as i'm sure theres many (myself included) with successes and failures who have released records who wouldn't mind sharing their tips / methods
13-12-2006, 14:26   #3

Anything in particular you're looking for information on?
18-12-2006, 23:12   #4
frobisher

I guess that what I'd really like to know most about is the actual process of getting exposure in media, radio and TV. Any experience with distribution would be good hear too.
30-12-2006, 00:55   #5

this thread is very slow moving!

but could also be very helpful to a lot of people.

supposing you're in a band, you've been gigging around dublin ( or other city ) you've recorded a demo , what do you do with it aside from selling it at gigs?
Advertisement
30-12-2006, 01:35   #6
miju
Banned

to be honest lads the questions asked here are so broad your best bet is to narrow it down slightly for a more concise answer otherwise respondants would be typing all year
30-12-2006, 16:20   #7

I have experience releasing records!"! Its not dat mysterious of a process!! Everyone thinks its a dream come true by pure luck and talent, when actually neither have much to do with it!! Ya need to get a demo, then set-up a bebo, myspace and an online site dat lets you sell ur music online!! Den gig like crazy and give ur demo out for free!! Once ya have a good few friends n views and your gettin a few followers at ur gigs den ya need an E.P.! This NEEDS to be master quality! Sell this at gigs for bout €3 and sell it online for €5!! Send it off to every radio station and record label in Ireland!! Enter competitions and write into papers about ur gigs!! Start a mailing list and if ur playin in Dublin then txt everyone from Dublin n let them know, in Cork then txt every1 from Cork etc.!! Over time ya will build a big fanbase if ur good!! Other major things come into it like producing hit songs, image, gear, etc. but that should get you started!!
Thanks from:
30-12-2006, 18:47   #8
John

Tuitser, thanks for the advice but please don't use text speak on the forum, some of us have awful trouble understanding it

Cheers.
24-03-2007, 00:12   #9

When trying to get exposure in the media, make sure you give them an angle/story to use. Don't just say "we're playing a gig", give them something they can use. So if you're aiming for local media, make sure you point out you're from the locality, if there's something special about the gig let them know. You just have to make it newsworthy.
Advertisement
25-03-2007, 20:15   #10
miju
Banned

better yet write your press release like a news article in the first place so that lazy journalists can simply copy and paste the guts of it and then add their own tidbits and yes they are lazy
04-06-2007, 20:55   #11

"When trying to get exposure in the media, make sure you give them an angle/story to use. Don't just say "we're playing a gig", give them something they can use. So if you're aiming for local media, make sure you point out you're from the locality, if there's something special about the gig let them know. You just have to make it newsworthy."

best bit of advice for sure & very interesting point.... in my own experience you always need an angle... wether it is your bands image or the music being different than whats out there for whatever reason, thats how you sell it to the media & make it newsworthy, and definitly have something that can be copied and pasted & a high resolution pic that can be used, the easier it is for them to sort, the more chance of them doing it

but, hard work is the most important thing to everyone i know thats releasing records... you need to get the record sounding right & promote it well... sadly promoting is where it makes or breaks! and this is where most of the hard work is too.... if your not comprehensive, not enough people will know about your music

well that my tuppence frobisher, dunno what other general advice id have, but if theres something in particular u want to know, drop me a mail
14-07-2008, 04:50   #12
CmX

Released a single last summer with Tanya D.
Mainly we put it out as a download but also put cd singles in the shops.
It reached number 4 in the download charts which wasnt bad seeing as a lot of our promo stuff went wrong for us but we got some nice press and contacts and experience.
Its definatley put me in a better position for my next release as I know now what to avoid and what to spend more time on.
I think its fairly essential to get your tune played on radio if not even onto playlists.
24-10-2008, 12:18   #13

like the BBC TV programme 'Massive'
24-10-2008, 12:19   #14

Who is Tanya D
24-10-2008, 12:20   #15

What charts did it make to number 4, Ireland or UK?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion