Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge [construction to commence shortly]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭spakman

marno21 wrote: »

How likely is that given tender hasnt been awarded, project hasnt been approved, and it seems lands still to be purchased and archaeological digs conpleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There does seem to be quite a few caveats to that proposed Q2 start. Hopefully it does get going this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say Naughton will be pushing to get the contract signed and she is the relevant minister. It's not in her constituency but can be spun as investment in the west which would play well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭spakman

I hope so, it's badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

spakman wrote: »
    How likely is that given tender hasnt been awarded, project hasnt been approved, and it seems lands still to be purchased and archaeological digs conpleted?
    I presume the land acquisition, archeology etc is happening independent of the tender process. Covid notwithstanding, road building is the one thing the state has gotten down to a fine art. So, maybe not that unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

plodder wrote: »
    I presume the land acquisition, archeology etc is happening independent of the tender process. Covid notwithstanding, road building is the one thing the state has gotten down to a fine art. So, maybe not that unrealistic.

I know a lot of landowners have been paid by now and the archeology around Strokestown seems to be winding down.
    I'd say at this stage it's all down to awarding the contract & signing off on releasing the funds. Maybe with Covid and the hole that's put in the finances, they are holding back on it until the economy reopens.

The archaeological works are nearly finished. The whole route has been cleared of trees, hedges etc. The fencing is erected along the entire route. Not all electricity/telephone wires have been diverted yet but it's de facto shovel ready to start once the administrative aspects are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

More evidence, in case it was needed, that the existing road is disgracefully unsafe. RIP.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/03/08/man-in-his-30s-fatally-injured-in-n5-collision-near-strokestown/

More evidence, in case it was needed, that the existing road is disgracefully unsafe. RIP.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/03/08/man-in-his-30s-fatally-injured-in-n5-collision-near-strokestown/

Think it's now 6 fatalities within a couple of km either side of the town in the last 4/5 years. All on the N5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

paulbok wrote: »
    Think it's now 6 fatalities within a couple of km either side of the town in the last 4/5 years. All on the N5.

Off the top of my head, it's at least 4 fatal9ovwr the last year or so.

RIP to them all, clear illustration of the neglected Western infrastructure.

Construction due to start in Q2 according to March update from TII:

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/Major-Active-Projects-March_FinalC.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Construction due to start in Q2 according to March update from TII:

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/Major-Active-Projects-March_FinalC.pdf

That's what they said in Dec 2020 so no change then thankfully.

spacetweek wrote: »
    That's what they said in Dec 2020 so no change then thankfully.

Have heard it's Roadbridge that has it, and as they start winding up on the Sligo Road , they'll be moving resources to the N5 during Q2. May not be the mainline they start on but will be on it before long.

Roadbridge appear to have done a good job on the N4 so that's great news, thanks.
    Have heard it's Roadbridge that has it, and as they start winding up on the Sligo Road , they'll be moving resources to the N5 during Q2. May not be the mainline they start on but will be on it before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

I would agree with that excellent if Roadbridge awarded Ballaghahadarreen to Scramoge. Good job on previous roads, current sligo road fast build, no drama or delays to projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Has anyone heard that there is an issue with the preferred bidder and that TII are now going to award the project to the second place company on the tender list

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

roadmaster wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that there is an issue with the preferred bidder and that TII are now going to award the project to the second place company on the tender list

I have now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I have now...

Now I don't know if its true but I have heard it from a few people but then again the amount of BS is construction it could be just lies

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

roadmaster wrote: »

I think it has to be retendered if that happens.

• Advertisement

hondar wrote: »
    I think it has to be retendered if that happens.

No if the issue is with a tenderer rather than the competition, they just move on to the next tenderer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Good news that, thanks for sharing.

In a side note, why are the maps they show on these projects so unreadable. Like 1980's Georgraphy Ordance Survey stuff. Why is the quality and readability so poor. Can't even zoom in

Has there been any more word on the preferred contractor? Roadbridge were suggested above but then it was said there was an issue with the first placed tenderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In a side note, why are the maps they show on these projects so unreadable. Like 1980's Georgraphy Ordance Survey stuff. Why is the quality and readability so poor. Can't even zoom in
    The original maps are very good. But media outlets rarely reproduce them well.

The official maps for the scheme are here:

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Publications-and-Information/N5-Ballaghaderreen-to-Scramoge-Road-Project/Public-Information-Day/

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Has there been any more word on the preferred contractor? Roadbridge were suggested above but then it was said there was an issue with the first placed tenderer.

roadbridge got it.

Is there a risk Éamon Ryan will delay signing off on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

It's an awful stretch of road, even if the new road started tomorrow parts of the old road badly need resurfacing. I don't think there is a national road going to Dublin in any worse condition in the entire country.

The Minister for Public Expenditure Michael McGrath signed off on the plans on Friday and it will now go immediately to Transport Minister Eamon Ryan, before going before Cabinet. Hopefully he will not stop it.with a bit of luck he will be asleep

• Advertisement

Michael Ring will give him a clip around the ear if he tries.

Advertisement