Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leixlip chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, a parklet for nobody, that is actually just some poles, is the kind of pointless crap KCC engineers like spending money on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

L1011 wrote: »
    Well, a parklet for nobody, that is actually just some poles, is the kind of pointless crap KCC engineers like spending money on...

Will KCC provide the tables and chairs?

If so: Will they bring them in at night, put out in the morning and sanitise regularly?

If not: Will the individual cafe owners provide their own, presumably marked and waitered. What happens if I decide to sit down to drink my bottle of water that I brought with me, or buy in one cafe and use another's tables?

I think, either option will provide good street theatre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Flibble wrote: »
    There's a new coffee shop opening next week in the Leixlip Amenities centre, they have an outdoor seating area being built and I believe will be doing salads/ sandwiches/ baked goods.

The businesses inside the centre now include a coffee shop, physiotherapist, acupuncturist, sports massage therapist & hair dresser- it's a bit of a hidden gem!!

Leaflet in the door for http://craftcafe.ie/

I'm not sure I'd call it "the centre of Leixlip", but looking forward to trying it out soon. :) Unless it's linked to the one on Main Street too?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

buffalo wrote: »
    Leaflet in the door for http://craftcafe.ie/

I'm not sure I'd call it "the centre of Leixlip", but looking forward to trying it out soon. :) Unless it's linked to the one on Main Street too?

I don't think it's linked to another cafe, seems to be a first venture for the owners. Was up there today, it's quite a nice operation, little cakes were lovely and I think they're doing soup/sandwiches etc. I struggle to think of somewhere without going into the towns that's easy to get to, free parking & outdoor seating so this ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Website could do with some work though...lol. Facebook page has pics up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Tried Craft Cafe on Saturday and it was lovely! Nice to have somewhere with parking without having to go into the village, we had been driving around to Costa in Celbridge instead. Craft is just as nice and cheaper, will definitely be back.
    Have a flyer from them and looked them up on insta but couldn't find opening hours anywhere. I'm often looking for a coffee around 5-6pm so would be nice to know when they actually close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see their opening hours on their facebook page...

Monday|07:30 - 19:00
    Tuesday|07:30 - 19:00
    Wednesday |07:30 - 19:00
    Thursday|07:30 - 19:00
    Friday|07:30 - 19:00
    Saturday|09:00 - 16:00
    Sunday|09:00 - 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

Hadn't realised that there's a hairdresser in Leixlip Amenity Centre! Has anyone been or know if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Falling wrote: »
    Hadn't realised that there's a hairdresser in Leixlip Amenity Centre! Has anyone been or know if it's any good?

It's called H&Co Hair, I haven't been to it myself but I know a few people who are regulars and seem happy with it. It's a small, one at a time type room, so will probably just be you and the hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Any update on the resurfacing of the M4 and if you think it will have any significant impact on road noise?

Currently at the Options Selection phase as per https://maynoothleixlip.ie/
    Boards thread @ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=109625288

• Advertisement

Currently at the Options Selection phase as per https://maynoothleixlip.ie/
    Boards thread @ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=109625288

Thanks for the links, unfortunately cannot glean much info from that. Still unsure how it's going to impact road noise, I'd like to think additional widening will not make it worse.

Presumably it will be a surface with reasonable tyre resistance for efficient braking so therefore there will be noise. The only way to reduce the noise is to reduce the number of cars on it.
    However, widening it will only create induced demand (i.e. increase demand for it because it creates the impression that it has less traffic). Pointless waste of money that would have had far more benefit to commuters especially in Leixlip and Maynooth if invested better!

Presumably it will be a surface with reasonable tyre resistance for efficient braking so therefore there will be noise. The only way to reduce the noise is to reduce the number of cars on it.
    However, widening it will only create induced demand (i.e. increase demand for it because it creates the impression that it has less traffic). Pointless waste of money that would have had far more benefit to commuters especially in Leixlip and Maynooth if invested better!

The NTA have recently said the scheme to widen the N3 will have to be 'reviewed for alignment against the current transport strategy' - i.e. the Government have suddenly realised we have to reduce emissions by 50% in less than ten years, and building roads will do the opposite.

I would be very surprised if the M4 scheme doesn't merit the same response.

The new surface they have after Maynooth has significant noise reduction, it's very clear when you're driving on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There'll be a huge reduction in tyre noise, the existing surface is approaching 30 years old so is a generation of surface technology behind, plus three decades of wear.

The main noise issue for people is at night, traffic won't be increasing much then but reducing the tyre noise will have a huge benefit.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the bollards that were put at the bottom of Captain's Hill in February?

Picnic benches getting installed in Leixlip today apparently, with astro underneath.

Picnic benches getting installed in Leixlip today apparently, with astro underneath.

Looks well! Not sure how nice it'll be with traffic idling at the lights across the road, but it's something.

https://twitter.com/joeneville2010/status/1405924787122315268

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I passed by it when they were working on it. Took out most of the bollards too and replaced them with planters. Though some of the bollards will probably have to go back... KCC never get anything right on first attempt.

In fairness it does look good, but for the life of me I don't know why nothing went in on Ralph Square. The whole place is practically derelict. Would have been an idea to get it back into use.

n97 mini wrote: »
    In fairness it does look good, but for the life of me I don't know why nothing went in on Ralph Square. The whole place is practically derelict. Would have been an idea to get it back into use.
    Is the non-road part private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Is the non-road part private property?

I don't know? There's right-of-way through it anyway.

Any idea why the houses on the right hand side are boarded up?

• Advertisement

There's a consultation open for the town renewal plan. There's not a lot in the plan at present - four priority projects based around the Wonderful Barn, Main Street, Ralph Square and Leixlip Spa - but a chance to get your 2c in, and influence future policy/development.

Also tomorrow a consultation on Kildare County Speed Limit Review opens:

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/browse

Any updates on the M4 resurfacing plans?

Anyone have an opening date for the new café beside Watkins butcher? Eileen's Bakes & Brews is on the frontage for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I walked by MaCari's chipper in River Forest today, the whole place was gutted. Its been closed for a few months. Any idea what's going in? Or is the chipper getting done up? It badly needed work.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Anyone know whats going in at the bottom of captains hill? Lots of work there recently and new shop front fitted over the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

Looks like a new planning application just gone in KCC ref 22677 for the demolition of Hillford House (the old house located at the junction beside Knockaulin estate) and the construction of 40 apartments on the site.

Not to sound like a NIMBY but knocking historical houses for apartments seems a bit of a loss to me. Will be interesting to see what the planners make of it.

It's the same location as 57 houses and apartments currently under construction, right? Seems to me that this should all have been submitted together, otherwise it looks like the developer is trying to bypass greater scrutiny and things like the creche requirement when building more than 65 units (IIRC).

I haven't seen any details of the new application, sometimes these things can be tastefully done. Are they retaining the facade of the house for instance? It's the right sort of location for higher density - walkable to the train station, walkable to the village.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was the Salmon Leap busy over the weekend with all their entertainment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

Yeah, it is the site beside that the one that got permission for the 57 houses/apartments but as as far as I can see they are two separate developers. In total there would be 97 new houses/apartments between the two sites, could impact on traffic across two separate entrances 50m apart. Also no creche provision given the staggered development.

The old period house there (Hillford House) would be knocked down completely if the new PP is granted.

Advertisement